2019 CX5 GT vs GTR - different in handling - my mere fantasy or real?

JStarZ

:
Mercedes C300 Sport
Hi folks,

I am new here so sorry if someone had this observation before. However, I test drove the GT AWD and GTR back to back today and found that the two cars feels much different, not only the power from the engine but also the feel of road/car.

The power from GTR is noticeably better, responsive, react fast and get to speed as to my expectation. I*m driving a 2014 Mercedes C300 and I can say CX5 GTR is comparable to when I put C300 in sport and better than its normal setting. The non-turbo version? Simply an average in terms of power as you would expect - still feel it when you hit hard on gas but takes time to over take a vehicle on freeway at 50 mph ish. I don*t want to say to much about the power as the specs of the two different engines speak themselves.

Now, here is what I can*t understand or hard to believe. Both my wife and I, after driving the GTR, felt it was firm on the ride (but comfortable when it hit a bump or a porthole), harder to steering and cornering and felt body roll (our bodies often slid to the side when making a turn or driving through curve roads). I used to drive a 2018 CX5 rental for a week for a business trip and felt much different. At first, we thought it was normal maybe because it is a newer model year and some adjustments may be there so I expected the same feeling from GT with less power. However, to our big surprise, it was absolutely not the case on the GT. The steering wheel felt light at low speed, turning and cornering is smoother and less body lean on a curved driveway. It was almost like a different car! and it was like the rental one that I drove a year back!

I was wondering if this is just me or just that specific car that I drove today or something you guys feel the same? I noticed also that the turbo version has 200 lbs more in weight, and probably have a different weight distribution. Would that also be a factor?

I really like the power from the GTR but would be a little disappointed if the handling feel is ultimately different. Any other thoughts, guys?

Anyway, I will have a test drive on both later but would like to hear what you say before heading out! Thanks for your help!

Yes! So Im not crazy! My wife has a 2018 CX-5 and the other day when I took it for an oil change I test drove a GTR or Signature. It really does feel like a completely different car, and I liked how it rode much better, even aside from the power. I didnt know if it was suspension tweaks for the 2019 vs. 2018 or if it was cuz of AWD (ours is FWD) but I concur, it definitely feels different and I much prefer it.

Yes! So I*m not crazy! My wife has a 2018 CX-5 and the other day when I took it for an oil change I test drove a GTR or Signature. It really does feel like a completely different car, and I liked how it rode much better, even aside from the power. I didn*t know if it was suspension tweaks for the 2019 vs. 2018 or if it was cuz of AWD (ours is FWD) but I concur, it definitely feels different and I much prefer it.

Yes, its very well sorted. The non-GTR seems drunk by comparison. The GTR makes me happy, the baser models, not really.

Yes, its very well sorted. The non-GTR seems drunk by comparison. The GTR makes me happy, the baser models, not really.

Hmm...I really do need to get a chance to test drive one of these...for my curiosity really.

I went from a loaner 2018 GT to a 2019 GTR, the GTR was firmer and more composed.

Huge relief that I am not alone!

I agree the GTR is firmer but the part I cant understand is that why GTR has more body lean given that it feels firmer?

Non-turbo CX-5 loaner feel worse than a Gen 1 in that regard?

It felt "more supple". It just didn't inspire the confidence my gen 1 did. The GTR reminds me a lot of my 370z, but with better rebound control and much lower adhesion limits. The non-GTR just felt...billet rigid body wise, but like the suspension was overworked by its mass. Im sure it handled fine when pushed hard, but I was kindof let down and missed my gen 1s meld with the road until I got in the gtr. Regarding body lean, I didnt perceive as OP did. I felt the gtr leaned less, but I also didnt have an inclonometer. Also, tire pressure...maybe the rental or whatever had 40psi and the other 35? Hot vs warm day? Dunno.

Once you drive a GTR, you will want one. Acceleration and cabin sound levels alone sealed the deal. The better feeling road manners are a nice perk too.

Last edited:
It felt "more supple". It just didn't inspire the confidence my gen 1 did. The GTR reminds me a lot of my 370z, but with better rebound control and much lower adhesion limits. The non-GTR just felt...billet rigid body wise, but like the suspension was overworked by its mass. Im sure it handled fine when pushed hard, but I was kindof let down and missed my gen 1s meld with the road until I got in the gtr. Regarding body lean, I didnt perceive as OP did. I felt the gtr leaned less, but I also didnt have an inclonometer. Also, tire pressure...maybe the rental or whatever had 40psi and the other 35? Hot vs warm day? Dunno.

Once you drive a GTR, you will want one. Acceleration and cabin sound levels alone sealed the deal. The better feeling road manners are a nice perk too.
Interesting. Thanks for the write up.

One of the first 2019 Mazda CX-5 videos, I think by Motoman that also has Dave Coleman in it, describes the suspension changes in the Sig model.

Latest posts

Back