2019 CX-5 Reviews

Another review from the Mazda event in BC.

https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/l...a-cx-5-signature-awd-review-article-1.4045239

I like the way this one is written, and I like the fact that they show it being driven. Check out the snow packed into the lower grille area!

2019-mazda-cx-5-signature-awd-grey-front-left-quarter.jpg

"Nevertheless, even at a slower-than-usual pace, the new turbo engine didn't feel out of breath, and the automatic transmission didn't lunge into the next gear. With the drivetrain running smoothly and effortlessly, it was a rather pleasant and pretty drive.

At some point, though, I had to induce sideways snow driving to see what the AWD-GVC Plus system could do. Luckily, there were enough empty lots of varying degrees of snowflake softness to have fun. For example, my photo shoot took place in a foot of snow. Yet regardless of how many points my turns consisted of, the CX-5 (and its Toyo Observe GSi-5 tires) maneuvered as if on dry, summertime Southern California asphalt. But the space was small, which limited any hooning to sprinkled donuts.

Eventually, I found a larger area down along the Sea-to-Sky Highway. Bordered by frost-tipped evergreens and Queen Lake, I let loose. But the CX-5 was a stoic, poised son of a gun. I wanted to get squirrely, just to the edge of spin, but the stubborn thing kept its grip, steadying back into the straight and narrow. Fine. Be that way and handle this now muddy, slush box with ease. Pfft."

Last edited:
I know that Coleman is still trying to sell me something but I like to hear him talk. Best video yet.

This is one of the better videos yet for the CX-5 review. Although it is nice to see that it is very capable in the snow. Hoping to see more of the CX-5 reviews

Another review from the Mazda event in BC.

https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/l...a-cx-5-signature-awd-review-article-1.4045239

I like the way this one is written, and I like the fact that they show it being driven. Check out the snow packed into the lower grille area!

2019-mazda-cx-5-signature-awd-grey-front-left-quarter.jpg

"Nevertheless, even at a slower-than-usual pace, the new turbo engine didn't feel out of breath, and the automatic transmission didn't lunge into the next gear. With the drivetrain running smoothly and effortlessly, it was a rather pleasant and pretty drive.

At some point, though, I had to induce sideways snow driving to see what the AWD-GVC Plus system could do. Luckily, there were enough empty lots of varying degrees of snowflake softness to have fun. For example, my photo shoot took place in a foot of snow. Yet regardless of how many points my turns consisted of, the CX-5 (and its Toyo Observe GSi-5 tires) maneuvered as if on dry, summertime Southern California asphalt. But the space was small, which limited any hooning to sprinkled donuts.

Eventually, I found a larger area down along the Sea-to-Sky Highway. Bordered by frost-tipped evergreens and Queen Lake, I let loose. But the CX-5 was a stoic, poised son of a gun. I wanted to get squirrely, just to the edge of spin, but the stubborn thing kept its grip, steadying back into the straight and narrow. Fine. Be that way and handle this now muddy, slush box with ease. Pfft."

Pretty good review. I will be on the market for a new car this coming summer and this is the first time I've even considered a Mazda. We've been a family of Honda's (mostly) Toyota's (some) for a while and looking forward to what this CX-5 has all to offer.

I really like the signature trim but am still conscious about the $38K price tag.

Mazda oh what a feeling!
If driving fun and handling is what youre after, than yes this is the car company to definitely consider. But if your priority is high mpg and couldnt care less about driveabilty, definitely consider others.
Its a car you drive almost everyday, and that to me should be as fun and engaging as it can be.

Pretty good review. I will be on the market for a new car this coming summer and this is the first time I've even considered a Mazda. We've been a family of Honda's (mostly) Toyota's (some) for a while and looking forward to what this CX-5 has all to offer.

I really like the signature trim but am still conscious about the $38K price tag.

I apologize if this was asked years ago but didn't hit a thread....with the 2.5T on CX-9 but is startup sound & NVH of 2.5T the same as the normally aspirated 2.5?

I apologize if this was asked years ago but didn't hit a thread....with the 2.5T on CX-9 but is startup sound & NVH of 2.5T the same as the normally aspirated 2.5?

It is actually quieter, even are idle. And while driving, since you don't need to push it as hard, it is much quieter.

Mazda oh what a feeling!
If driving fun and handling is what you*re after, than yes this is the car company to definitely consider. But if your priority is high mpg and couldn*t care less about driveabilty, definitely consider others.
It*s a car you drive almost everyday, and that to me should be as fun and engaging as it can be.

Thanks.

Does the 360 view camera really that bad? There have been a few comments and reviews that it's something that Mazda really needs to improve.

Just curious to know what others think about it.

Thanks.

Does the 360 view camera really that bad? There have been a few comments and reviews that it's something that Mazda really needs to improve.

Just curious to know what others think about it.

The 360 camera is bad and the regular camera on the 2018 CX-9 Signature is bad.

Last edited:
Also another good point was made. The color of the Signature leather does not do justice to the vehicle. A rich saddle brown would be really sharp. As for the wood trim, there is a fine line between sharp looking and gaudy. I would have to see it in person to make a real judgement.
I agree, that color is a bad match especially for the already dark interior. Its one of the main reasons Im going down to the GTR instead. A little brighter, more orangey saddle brown as you say would have been sharp, something like the new Subaru Forester Touring:

535142bfa18ecb75583701fd1827f8a7x.jpg

I agree, that color is a bad match especially for the already dark interior. It*s one of the main reasons I*m going down to the GTR instead. A little brighter, more orangey saddle brown as you say would have been sharp, something like the new Subaru Forester Touring:

535142bfa18ecb75583701fd1827f8a7x.jpg

That is a very flattering picture but I do like the color. I also like the light headliner.

I actually find the 360 degree camera useful. It's the backup camera that's pretty bad. I'd say it's even worse then Gen 1. However this time of year it's almost impossible to keep the camera's lens clean.

I actually find the 360 degree camera useful. It's the backup camera that's pretty bad. I'd say it's even worse then Gen 1. However this time of year it's almost impossible to keep the camera's lens clean.

Aside from OEM retractible I have seen some put in some custom washers that are tapped off of the rear washer nozzle.

So has anyone here filled a 2.5T CX-5 with premium and wound it up yet? Impressions?

My wife is still on the first tank of fuel from the dealer. I have instructed her to use top tier premium when she get fuel. Although today's engines dont require much break in time the trans/diff and the rest of driveline should be broken in over the course of 1000 miles. Although I will push it when I get a chance to drive it I won't be in testing mode until a 1000 miles. But at least the power curves look good for the 93 octane. I'm betting the ECM is pulling timing on 87 octane over 4000 RPM.

UPDATE: My wife filled the car with premium(92 octane) on Friday. I got to drive it yesterday. Weather was a mix of snow and rain and only had 400 miles on it so no real good test was done but did get it up between 4000-5500 RPM a few times and it felt stronger than the 87 octane we got the car with. The difference isn't so much that all of a sudden its a rocket...it's more like it doesn't fall on its face and feels stronger as the RPM's increase compared to the 87 octane.

UPDATE: My wife filled the car with premium(92 octane) on Friday. I got to drive it yesterday. Weather was a mix of snow and rain and only had 400 miles on it so no real good test was done but did get it up between 4000-5500 RPM a few times and it felt stronger than the 87 octane we got the car with. The difference isn't so much that all of a sudden its a rocket...it's more like it doesn't fall on its face and feels stronger as the RPM's increase compared to the 87 octane.
Your experience on 2.5T's performance between regular and premium gas matches its engine power curve announced by Mazda. Like Mazda said in the graph, it's an "unnecessary spending on premium fuel" by 2.5T owners if they drive mostly under 4,000 rpm, because the power is exactly the same between 87 and 93 octan from 0~4,000 rpm. Especially some top-tier premium gas such as Shell is selling 55~80 higher per gallon in our area.

I don't know if I would say the cams are "bad". The back up cam works great for what I use it for. Other cams are definitely better though, and it is indeed something that Mazda could easily improve on the next go-around.

Is it possible to upgrade backup cams? Im talking about a nearly plug-and-play replacement for the OEM one, not some janky alternative. Seems cams should be as interchangeable as light bulbs by now, but all I see are kits for full installs.

Back