2019-2020 CX-9 Cargo Area Dimensions

I have uploaded a pic of the cargo area of a CX5 because I could not find the equivalent view of the CX9 with the cargo cover but am only interesting in the dimensions for the CX9. Could someone pls post the measurements?

A = Bottom back of second row seats (third row folded down flat) to the edge if you were to draw a straight line corner to corner as in the pic
B = Footwell to footwell ( I know the CX9 doesn't look like the one in my pic)
C = Cargo floor straight up to the bottom of the cargo cover when its pulled closed

Thanks!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 12.56.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 12.56.44 PM.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 46,180
I went out to take measurements for you (also posted in your other thread specifically requesting the measurements). I don't have my cover with me, but I was able to get approximate measurements. It's -24c (feels like -32c with the windchill) right now though, so my measurements may be off by a 1/2" or so due to shivering lol.

Based on your image here (cross-posted from the other thread):

attachment.php

A = 48"
B = 40"
C = 14"

I also measured the width of the hatch opening, which is about 43". Also, note that there is a small storage space underneath the floorboard of the CX-9. You can store the cargo cover there when it is not in use, along with other small items like a portable fire extinguisher, air compressor/tire inflator, medical kit, roadside assistance kit, etc.

EDIT: Note that these measurements are from a 2018, which has the "old" cargo cover that doesn't attach to the liftgate. Hopefully someone with a 2020 chimes in, otherwise you may have to bring a tape measure with you to the dealership when you do your test drive.

Last edited:
I went out to take measurements for you (also posted in your other thread specifically requesting the measurements). I don't have my cover with me, but I was able to get approximate measurements. It's -24c (feels like -32c with the windchill) right now though, so my measurements may be off by a 1/2" or so due to shivering lol.

Based on your image here (cross-posted from the other thread):

A = 48"
B = 40"
C = 14"

I also measured the width of the hatch opening, which is about 43". Also, note that there is a small storage space underneath the floorboard of the CX-9. You can store the cargo cover there when it is not in use, along with other small items like a portable fire extinguisher, air compressor/tire inflator, medical kit, roadside assistance kit, etc.

EDIT: Note that these measurements are from a 2018, which has the "old" cargo cover that doesn't attach to the liftgate. Hopefully someone with a 2020 chimes in, otherwise you may have to bring a tape measure with you to the dealership when you do your test drive.

Geez, that's - 11F, you kidding? I wish you were my neighbor! Thank you very much, I really appreciate you going out there to take the measurements for me!

Unfortunately, it is as everyone has said, a bit on the small side. Here's how it stacks up to my car, which is the one I am considering replacing with whatever I buy. I like the extra depth, that's where mine gives me a little trouble, just a bit too shallow once I have my suitcases in. Its the height that's the killer on the CX9. My suitcase is 15" tall when laying on its side which is how I put them in there in order to maximize the width of the cargo area and then I lay stuff on top of it as well since I have a few inches more height in my car. The CX- width is a killer too (sad1)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 12.17.31 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 12.17.31 PM.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 15,077
Geez, that's - 11F, you kidding? I wish you were my neighbor! Thank you very much, I really appreciate you going out there to take the measurements for me!

Unfortunately, it is as everyone has said, a bit on the small side. Here's how it stacks up to my car, which is the one I am considering replacing with whatever I buy. I like the extra depth, that's where mine gives me a little trouble, just a bit too shallow once I have my suitcases in. Its the height that's the killer on the CX9. My suitcase is 15" tall when laying on its side which is how I put them in there in order to maximize the width of the cargo area and then I lay stuff on top of it as well since I have a few inches more height in my car. The CX- width is a killer too (sad1)

That's a bummer. I guess you could look into a cargo box, but if that was something you were interested in, you wouldn't be looking for a bigger vehicle. If you do go with the CX-9, you might have to settle for the less elegant blanket over cargo solution. Hopefully someone with a 2020 can chime in with actual dimensions.

That's a bummer. I guess you could look into a cargo box, but if that was something you were interested in, you wouldn't be looking for a bigger vehicle. If you do go with the CX-9, you might have to settle for the less elegant blanket over cargo solution. Hopefully someone with a 2020 can chime in with actual dimensions.

Naa, never liked the roof top cargo carriers and I have thought about throwing a black blanket over it all but that's a dead giveaway that there's lots of stuff back there, I like the concealed stealth look that a cargo cover provides. Now I know what you might be thinking and the answer is absolutely NOT...not a minivan (no) ha ha ha Well, lets see how it all works out when I get my hands on one. That's why just comparing cubic feet to cubic feet doesn't really work, its all about how its shaped. I found a dealer about 40 minutes from where I'll be in Florida that has a few in stock (at the moment) and I believe I've whittled it down to the GT level in oder to get the features I want but stay with the bench second row.

Not so cold here! about 0, which i think in USA is 32.

I measured the height at the bar at the rear of the cargo cover, its a bit higher at 15 inches. And remember the cover is soft, ive often pulled it over objects then hooked it in place. The bump isnt really visible to prying eyes. Even a suitcase 16 or 17 inches could be covered. Not ideal, but there is a bit of wiggle room. Nothing likely could be piled on top though, unless quite thin.

Wouldn't matter for the suitcase, but the angle of the tailgate could impede you depending what you want to load. Makes for sporty look, but anything near the rear of the cargo area would need to be less than about 17 or 18 inches or else you hit it with the tailgate glass. More squared off SUVs would allow big box to fit close to rear of cargo area, cx9 shape basically renders the last 2 ft of the floor space limited as tall objects will not allow tailgate to close.

Not so cold here! about 0, which i think in USA is 32.

I measured the height at the bar at the rear of the cargo cover, its a bit higher at 15 inches. And remember the cover is soft, ive often pulled it over objects then hooked it in place. The bump isnt really visible to prying eyes. Even a suitcase 16 or 17 inches could be covered. Not ideal, but there is a bit of wiggle room. Nothing likely could be piled on top though, unless quite thin.

Wouldn't matter for the suitcase, but the angle of the tailgate could impede you depending what you want to load. Makes for sporty look, but anything near the rear of the cargo area would need to be less than about 17 or 18 inches or else you hit it with the tailgate glass. More squared off SUVs would allow big box to fit close to rear of cargo area, cx9 shape basically renders the last 2 ft of the floor space limited as tall objects will not allow tailgate to close.

GTA-CX9,
What year is your CX-9? I have also pulled my cover over and onto soft objects that protruded an inch or so, so I know what you're saying. The limiting factor is that the cargo cover roller bar, normally made from metal, sits just behind the seats and that is where the suitcases go, so that's a hard stop dimension. I also load the heavy things right against the seat backs. I'll take my suitcases with me to the dealer but since the cargo cover is an option, I wonder if the cars on the lot will have it.

Right, 0C is 32F, where are you located?

GTA-CX9,
What year is your CX-9? I have also pulled my cover over and onto soft objects that protruded an inch or so, so I know what you're saying. The limiting factor is that the cargo cover roller bar, normally made from metal, sits just behind the seats and that is where the suitcases go, so that's a hard stop dimension. I also load the heavy things right against the seat backs. I'll take my suitcases with me to the dealer but since the cargo cover is an option, I wonder if the cars on the lot will have it.

A lot of 3 row SUVs have that low cargo cover problem because the folded 3rd row is taking valuable height space. In the case of the CX-9 you will get more total cargo space, but are stuck with the *under the cargo cover* height restrictions. I saw your other post as well, and if you dont need the third row, you might be well served with a large 5 row SUV, like the Ford Edge or the Chevrolet blazer. The Honda passport would also work (but you said you ruled out Honda). At lot of people how this forum are also cross shopping with Acura and Volvo.

P.S. -4 C here this evening, pretty warm today.

GTA-CX9,

I'm in burbs just north of Toronto. 2019 Signature. Good point about metal bar. It actually sits a bit behind the second row, I'm not even sure if cargo cover is functional with 3rd row up.

Theres a flap at the front of the cargo cover, similar but smaller to the usual one at the back. When sitting in back seat, I've flipped this little flap up to grab small things from cargo area. Was strange to see this flap, doesnt quite flap down flush against the second row seat backs, but this is my first 3 row SUV so I assumed that was normal.

GTA-CX9,

A lot of 3 row SUVs have that low cargo cover problem because the folded 3rd row is taking valuable height space. In the case of the CX-9 you will get more total cargo space, but are stuck with the *under the cargo cover* height restrictions. I saw your other post as well, and if you dont need the third row, you might be well served with a large 5 row SUV, like the Ford Edge or the Chevrolet blazer. The Honda passport would also work (but you said you ruled out Honda). At lot of people how this forum are also cross shopping with Acura and Volvo.

P.S. -4 C here this evening, pretty warm today.

attachment.php

You can gain an additional few inches on dimension "C" in the Mazda by removing the false floor of the cargo area, at least on the 2019.

Check out this link, this article is actually practical in that they tried to cram real luggage in the back:
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/28/mazda-cx-9-luggage-test/

There are also links to other competing models in that article as well. If space is your priority, literally just about anything else will be a better choice.

Good link. Crazy what the Passport has. But it has strange shape, bit like my CRV which holds a ton for it's class. Big tall square butts.

I measured the height of my cargo cover in CRV, where it's 15 inches high in CX-9 right at the tailgate, it's 22 inches in CRV. It looks so huge, although the depth is where you get hit. It still holds a lot for compact, so no surprise the Passport does. I wanted to like that one, but the interior is not my thing.

As for the luggage test, made me think...Martino, maybe easier to buy different luggage? Will cost some $ but might be better than choosing a different vehicle if you like the rest of the CX9 package. Not sure of your travels, but we are 3 people (10 month old) and I went to duffel bags in CRV (only got cx9 last month). We had a good 6 or 7 for summer trip, but much more versatile. Front seat, back seat, squished in cargo area. Visible at times, but when in hotel we had most bags with us in room so not an issue when touring around. To be honest, the car seat was the big worry for me. Can't cover those.

You can gain an additional few inches on dimension "C" in the Mazda by removing the false floor of the cargo area, at least on the 2019.

Check out this link, this article is actually practical in that they tried to cram real luggage in the back:
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/28/mazda-cx-9-luggage-test/

There are also links to other competing models in that article as well. If space is your priority, literally just about anything else will be a better choice.

Thanks for the link jal142, interesting but I would also need to remove the third row completely because I want that extra height from the bumper all the way to the back of the second row seats or another way to put it, all under the entire cargo cover. While this might be possible, actually I have read someone already did that, do I want to buy a new car and immediately start butchering it? Maybe :) Well, heck, it'll be my car so I can :-0 However, what is that separator the you see in the pic below, can that be removed as well so I can get a flat surface? Should be fun when I get to the dealer and start talking with the SA about taking it apart.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 10.25.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 10.25.38 PM.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 8,683
Thanks for the link jal142, interesting but I would also need to remove the third row completely because I want that extra height from the bumper all the way to the back of the second row seats or another way to put it, all under the entire cargo cover. While this might be possible, actually I have read someone already did that, do I want to buy a new car and immediately start butchering it? Maybe :) Well, heck, it'll be my car so I can :-0 However, what is that separator the you see in the pic below, can that be removed as well so I can get a flat surface? Should be fun when I get to the dealer and start talking with the SA about taking it apart.

Lol, you never know. If they want to sell the car bad enough, you might be able to work the labour of removing the 3rd row into the deal, just so you save yourself some of your own time. I'm sure they would understand given your cargo needs.

The suggestion about switching to a different suitcase is a good one, though I wouldn't go as far as duffel bags in your situation. Carrying 2-3 duffel bags over the shoulder vs. pulling one suitcase on wheels behind you is a tough sell.

I know you ruled out the Palisade and the Telluride in your vehicle search, do you mind if I ask why? I wonder if either of those offer more covered cargo space than the CX-9?

Lol, you never know. If they want to sell the car bad enough, you might be able to work the labour of removing the 3rd row into the deal, just so you save yourself some of your own time. I'm sure they would understand given your cargo needs.

The suggestion about switching to a different suitcase is a good one, though I wouldn't go as far as duffel bags in your situation. Carrying 2-3 duffel bags over the shoulder vs. pulling one suitcase on wheels behind you is a tough sell.

I know you ruled out the Palisade and the Telluride in your vehicle search, do you mind if I ask why? I wonder if either of those offer more covered cargo space than the CX-9?

The Palisade offers more cargo space, costs nearly the same, about the same 0-60 and has a five yr warranty vs Mazda's 3. So why did I rule it out? For me, its butt ugly. The Telluride is just as ugly, maybe more so and I know its spare tire is located under the rear end, never been a fan of that placement here in the winter wonderland of NY. The redeeming aspect of the CX-9 is that it looks better than all the others in its class and all the articles I've read say its the best handling of them all.
I started out by just defaulting to my current brand, almost bought one but took a step back due to the newly released chassis and design and then found owners complaining like hell about the reliability, mostly of the high tech features but also about quality, dealerships not understanding how all the high tech works and the lead time to obtain spare parts in case of an accident or quality issues. So I waited a year to wait out the initial new release issues only to find nothing really changed. I looked at the luxury class in whole and found similar issues as they all are trying to trump each other in the market race to be the leader. I just can't see laying out $75K and have to put up with all the issues and crappy dealer customer handling so I started looking at mid tier SUV's and landed with the CX-9 at the top of the list. Thing is my closest dealer is 1.5hrs away so I've not made it there yet.

The Palisade offers more cargo space, costs nearly the same, about the same 0-60 and has a five yr warranty vs Mazda's 3. So why did I rule it out? For me, its butt ugly. The Telluride is just as ugly, maybe more so and I know its spare tire is located under the rear end, never been a fan of that placement here in the winter wonderland of NY. The redeeming aspect of the CX-9 is that it looks better than all the others in its class and all the articles I've read say its the best handling of them all.
I started out by just defaulting to my current brand, almost bought one but took a step back due to the newly released chassis and design and then found owners complaining like hell about the reliability, mostly of the high tech features but also about quality, dealerships not understanding how all the high tech works and the lead time to obtain spare parts in case of an accident or quality issues. So I waited a year to wait out the initial new release issues only to find nothing really changed. I looked at the luxury class in whole and found similar issues as they all are trying to trump each other in the market race to be the leader. I just can't see laying out $75K and have to put up with all the issues and crappy dealer customer handling so I started looking at mid tier SUV's and landed with the CX-9 at the top of the list. Thing is my closest dealer is 1.5hrs away so I've not made it there yet.

Hah, I hear ya. The front end on either of those cars is a lot to swallow.

Well, at least you're doing what you can in the meantime, asking all the right questions so you know what to look for when you test-drive.

A pricing discussion thread usually starts once owners make their way onto the forums. Keep an eye on the CX-9 subforum and when that thread pops up, you can probably request more accurate measurements from one of them.

Haha - I agree on the looks!

Once you have driven both the Palisade and the CX-9, you will clearly understand the difference in driving dynamics. Although you have more room in the Palisade, you also feel all that extra heft as you drive it. That was the main reason I went with the CX-9 anyway.

Although the MSRP might be similar, the Palisade & Telluride are completely new vehicle lines. Since there was a waiting list to buy (at least there was when we bought in October), it was hard to find a dealer that was willing to sell at MSRP. With the CX-9, you can definitely get some decent discounts right now.

Haha - I agree on the looks!

Once you have driven both the Palisade and the CX-9, you will clearly understand the difference in driving dynamics. Although you have more room in the Palisade, you also feel all that extra heft as you drive it. That was the main reason I went with the CX-9 anyway.

Although the MSRP might be similar, the Palisade & Telluride are completely new vehicle lines. Since there was a waiting list to buy (at least there was when we bought in October), it was hard to find a dealer that was willing to sell at MSRP. With the CX-9, you can definitely get some decent discounts right now.

Money isn't the issue though I'm not crazy and will certainly press for the best deal, this time around I want what I want and since my current car runs great, I'm not in any hurry. I am used to 0-60 in five seconds, that's probably the first thing that will hit me once behind the wheel of the CX-9 and I nail it, especially when nailing it at 60mph. I drove both the Tiguan and Atlas, very sluggish, lots and lots of engine noise but no pull. My wife and I both liked the Tiguan, hated the Atlas but considered neither due to their lack of power and the Altas had a V6! My wife drives a GTi, we are both used to having power.

Changing suitcases isn't the answer, that wouldn't reduce the amount of stuff we take on long trips, it all has to go somewhere and the worst part is on the way back home due to the stuff we collect when on the trip :) I know I will have to compromise somewhere, time will tell. If I really like it, I'm more willing to compromise, know what I mean. Maybe I'd lease instead so if I ended up hating it and my normal brand improves during the lease period, I'd have an easy way out. Once again, time will tell.

This forum has been great, I wouldn't say its as active as I'm used to in my other brand forum and there aren't a lot of people chiming in here but those who do seem really willing to help and I appreciate that!!!

I am used to 0-60 in five seconds, that's probably the first thing that will hit me once behind the wheel of the CX-9 and I nail it!!

I'm not sure if the Q7 is a 5 sec to 60 SUV but it can't be too far off. If the budget can handle it, I believe it is very close in exterior dimensions to the cx9 but with more sportiness...might make the compromise on cargo easier with that type of power. I actually don't know if it has more cargo capacity, it might squeeze more usable space into the same footprint as the Mazda.

Interior obviously is stellar. Couple friends have one, never a complaint.

I'm not sure if the Q7 is a 5 sec to 60 SUV but it can't be too far off. If the budget can handle it, I believe it is very close in exterior dimensions to the cx9 but with more sportiness...might make the compromise on cargo easier with that type of power. I actually don't know if it has more cargo capacity, it might squeeze more usable space into the same footprint as the Mazda.

Interior obviously is stellar. Couple friends have one, never a complaint.

Close at 5.7 with the bigger engine. Warranty is 4 yrs and 35.7cu ft with third row down but it comes in at $79K. Nice interior but an ugly puss :)

Back