2018 SHBH engine swap in a 2013 CX-5 possible?

Owner of cx5 ke 2013 sh01 200k km..the enjine stucked due to low oil pressure(oil pump chain broke). I want to fit newer enjine shbh 2018 for eliminating varius old problems..anybody knows if it will work ok and if yes what is needed if enjine is not complete? Regards

Is the "sh01" engine the 2.0L, and the "shbh" engine the 2.5L? What region are you in?

Both are skyactive D - diesel 2.2l 2013 and 2018 models
Broken oil pump chain on your SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel? This’s the latest wow on Mazda’s 2.2L diesel in addition to the no-warning sudden overheating problem. I wouldn’t spend any money on this diesel once it broke. Not to mention Mazda has added Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology since 2018 2.2L diesel and the use of AdBlue DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) is required. I wouldn’t say it’s impossible to use a 2018 2.2L diesel to replace your 2013 2.2L, but all the software and hardware you need to support SCR and AdBlue DEF system would be very difficult and expensive.

Just bought a 2016 CX-5 2.2L Diesel, any advice for things to check or do?

Broken oil pump chain on your SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel? This’s the latest wow on Mazda’s 2.2L diesel in addition to the no-warning sudden overheating problem.

I believe he is referring to the cam chain and oil pump. Neither are new issues for his 2013 SkyActiv-D. Both have been around for awhile.

Thanks for replying, same thoughts here, still the rest car is in very good condition and has to be fixed in the best possible way to keep it. I ld apreciate if you know when exactly mazda added scr and adblue in 2018..as i found 06/18 sbsh enjine that looks just the same with mine i just dont have vin number. Furthermore my old coooling system and turbos are in excellent condition.

I believe he is referring to the cam chain and oil pump. Neither are new issues for his 2013 SkyActiv-D. Both have been around for awhile.
No, the oil pump on Mazda’s SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel has a dedicated chain which is not the timing chain. The oil pump chain would break without warning and the engine is ruined because of oil starvation. See the link I posted above in another thread. Those Mazda 2.2L diesel owners in Taiwan are trying to push the government to force Mazda Taiwan having a recall on this problem. The same they did successfully on sudden overheating problem.

In this picture the Mazda 2.2L diesel is up-side-down showing the huge oil pump and its dedicated chain:

0FF184D5-8ADD-40EF-92E1-46461FC649E5.png

Last edited:
Thanks for replying, same thoughts here, still the rest car is in very good condition and has to be fixed in the best possible way to keep it. I ld apreciate if you know when exactly mazda added scr and adblue in 2018..as i found 06/18 sbsh enjine that looks just the same with mine i just dont have vin number. Furthermore my old coooling system and turbos are in excellent condition.
At which year Mazda added the SCR / AdBlue DEF system on its 2.2L diesel is really region by region. I know Mazda designed the AdBlue DEF system for 2.2L diesel since 2017 when gen-2 CX-5 came out. I believe many countries in EU received such diesel in MY 2018.

So the best way to find out a correct answer for you is to check out your local Mazda authorities.

No, the oil pump on Mazda’s SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel has a dedicated chain which is not the timing chain. The oil pump chain would break without warning and the engine is ruined because of oil starvation. See the link I posted above in another thread. Those Mazda 2.2L diesel owners in Taiwan are trying to push the government to force Mazda Taiwan having a recall on this problem. The same they did successfully on sudden overheating problem.

In this picture the Mazda 2.2L diesel is up-side-down showing the huge oil pump and its dedicated chain:

View attachment 318389

Yes and that huge oil pump has a box filter which needs replacement in some cases. In order to replace it, oil pump has to be removed from the bottom part and dismantled.

Back