2018 EPA Estimates

Right^^#Nothingburger - not worth it
I view this an added '17MY incentive more than anything

The gains are minimal per epa and in real world loads/speeds may not even be perceivable vs 17 but that's a guess. Diesel please

I figured this would be what happens. Anyway, the value of my 2015 Touring has now dropped to less than $10K trade-in, so I will be likely keeping it until something happens to it, lol! Next car definitely won't be a Mazda. Depreciation on them is STOOPID. Thinking about Forester 2.0XT, or WRX (the next iterations). They hold value. Disgusted with the value of my purchase. NEVER had a vehicle plummet like this.

1 better city FWD, 1 better combined
1 better city & hwy AWD- no change combined..(uhm)
diesel not surprisingly absent:(

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Pow...r2=2018&make=Mazda&baseModel=CX-5&srchtyp=ymm
So after all these years now Mazda even added questionable and problematic cylinder deactivation the EPA Fuel Economy figure stays almost the same on AWD CX-5? For 2018 CX-5 FWD with cylinder deactivation it still cant catch its 2016 level?

Mazda CX-5
EPA Fuel Economy
2.5L FWD
Combined/City/Highway
2.5L AWD
Combined/City/Highway
201427/25/3126/24/29
201527/25/3126/24/29
201629/26/3326/24/29
201727/24/3126/23/29
201828/25/3126/24/30

I figured this would be what happens. Anyway, the value of my 2015 Touring has now dropped to less than $10K trade-in, so I will be likely keeping it until something happens to it, lol! Next car definitely won't be a Mazda. Depreciation on them is STOOPID. Thinking about Forester 2.0XT, or WRX (the next iterations). They hold value. Disgusted with the value of my purchase. NEVER had a vehicle plummet like this.
Yeah although we keep our vehicles forever and never care about depreciation, but I was shocked when I was getting trade-in value for our 2016 CX-5 for the left-over brand-new 2016,5 CX-5 trying to get some bargains with $2,000 cash back. This has to have something to do with very low customer retention rate on Mazda and Mazda owners dont buy another one when they trade it in.

What do you expect when the car increases in weight year on year?

So after all these years now Mazda even added questionable and problematic cylinder deactivation the EPA Fuel Economy figure stays almost the same on AWD CX-5? For 2018 CX-5 FWD with cylinder deactivation it still can’t catch its 2016 level?

Mazda CX-5
EPA Fuel Economy
2.5L FWD
Combined/City/Highway
2.5L AWD
Combined/City/Highway
201427/25/3126/24/29
201527/25/3126/24/29
201629/26/3326/24/29
201727/24/3126/23/29
201828/25/3126/24/30

Only CX5 listed for under 10K here in DFW is a 14 Touring with 171K miles.
I think your dealer thinks you are stupid.

When i traded in my 2013 car at 2 years old i was over the moon with the trade in value, on top of a big discount on list against my present car.

So its not the same world wide.

Only CX5 listed for under 10K here in DFW is a 14 Touring with 171K miles.
I think your dealer thinks you are stupid.
You’re talking about used CX-5 prices, not the trade-in value. Try to trade your CX-5 in and see how much you can get ⋯ (and I’d already tried and gave it up) ;)

What do you expect when the car increases in weight year on year?
I guess every other brand of vehicle found a way to improve its EPA fuel economy ratings, but not the CX-5 ⋯

The Honda CRV holds resale value quite well. I drove a CRV in the fall of 2014, the fifteens had just come out, BAD transmission. It felt like the car was starting in 4th gear when I pulled from a stop light! Vague feeling from the steering. No way I was going to be saddled with a car like that. I drove a CX-5 and it was a world of difference in the way the CX-5 drove.

Yes by losing weight and adding extra gears.?
Yes thesere more effective ways than cylinder deactivation thing! And thesere also the proven methods to improve fuel economy without any ill-effects like cylinder deactivation!

Good to see some improvements for the 2018 models.

To be fair to Mazda, resale value has never been something Mazda was known for. You buy a Mazda because their cars are fun to drive, not because you want good resale value when you trade it in a few years after. If resale value is really what you're after, then you need to look at other brands. I get what you're saying though, it would be nice if the resale value for a Mazda was higher, but it's going to be awhile before their resale values go up, if it ever does.

If you're worried about resale value, lease.
Things are changing so fast in the automotive world right now, I can't fathom being tied to today's technology for, say 8 or 10 years.
And that rapid rate of change is going to hurt resale values even more.

You’re talking about used CX-5 prices, not the trade-in value. Try to trade your CX-5 in and see how much you can get ⋯ (and I’d already tried and gave it up) ;)

I know about trade in vs used prices. Also - the car i listed had 171K miles on it. Still pretty good resale considering someone drove it around that much.

My CX5 is 16K miles and a year old - I dont need to see its trade in value now. Maybe 2-3 years later at which point it will be good - it is similar to a Rav4 which I am ok with.

Good to see some improvements for the 2018 models.

To be fair to Mazda, resale value has never been something Mazda was known for. You buy a Mazda because their cars are fun to drive, not because you want good resale value when you trade it in a few years after. If resale value is really what you're after, then you need to look at other brands. I get what you're saying though, it would be nice if the resale value for a Mazda was higher, but it's going to be awhile before their resale values go up, if it ever does.

Resale is pretty decent. It is on par with Rav4.

Back