2017 CX-5 Japan advantages!!!! (Beatles related)

Mattyredsox

:
1990 Eunos (Mazda) V-Special Roadster (sold), 2014 Mazda CX-5 Pr
0706b70a7c3ac64f263cb88396fce10d.jpg

Stuck in my car because I got into the driveway during the middle of Good Morning Good Morning and I had to hear the rest of the new 5.1 DVD of Sgt. Peppers on my car's Bose surround system. Having the CD/DVD player makes this possible and this new DVD 5.1 sounds amazing and spacious; whereas I'm sure somebody will mock because I'm not using a MP3 player, their loss.
Quite nice sounding indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are happy with it that is all that matters​ :)

Assume you have Centrepoint 2 switched on right?

I assume you can only watch DVDs while in park correct?
I'm not watching a DVD. I am listening to the Beatles Sgt. Pepper's album on a DVD with 5.1 sound, which is normally only possible on a home system, unless, of course your car has a DVD player (like the Japanese version of the 2017 CX-5) and surround system.
As mentioned elsewhere, there are hacks to watch the video, but we have no desire to do that.

If you are happy with it that is all that matters​ :)

Assume you have Centrepoint 2 switched on right?

I am happy with it it. And yes I do. I am aware that several other in North America were upset that their cars do not have CD/DVD players. I hope Mazda rethinks this for the future.

I'm not watching a DVD. I am listening to the Beatles Sgt. Pepper's album on a DVD with 5.1 sound, which is normally only possible on a home system, unless, of course your car has a DVD player (like the Japanese version of the 2017 CX-5) and surround system.
As mentioned elsewhere, there are hacks to watch the video, but we have no desire to do that.

Hmm not seeing the advantage here. Is it the 5.1 sound here you're promoting? Or just the ability to listen to a DVD/CD in your 17 CX5?

I'm saying that I'm happy to have a cd/DVD player to hear my music. Other regions have the sound system in the 2017, but not the player.

I am happy with it it. And yes I do. I am aware that several other in North America were upset that their cars do not have CD/DVD players. I hope Mazda rethinks this for the future.
I think CD players will be phased out and on board hard drives will take it's place. Personally​ last time I used a CD player in a car was over 5 years ago. Don't miss it and for me no issue with the CX-5 not having it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think CD players will be phased out and on board hard drives will take it's place. Personally​ last time I used a CD player in a car was over 5 years ago. Don't miss it and for me no issue with the CX-5 not having it.
This won't be the case in Japan, where people still value the physical media over MP3 and data. And again, the computer wouldn't have the same sound that the DVD player brought.

This won't be the case in Japan, where people still value the physical media over MP3 and data. And again, the computer wouldn't have the same sound that the DVD player brought.

Maybe not there but other markets

Yeah once you have a DVD player, you can play a DVD musical media which recorded in true 5-channel sound tracks plus 1 bass channel for sub-woofer with ture 5.1 surround-sound effect. Without DVD player, even with a CD, we can only listen to a "simulated" 5.1 Centerpoint surround-sound effect from 2-channel stereo recording at best! Unfortunately in US most people use DVD media with 5.1 surround-sound for movie watching only, I haven't seen a true DVD 5.1 surround-sound musical media available on the market. Yeah I wish we can have a CD/DVD player which can truely utilize the Bose 5.1 surround sound system, not just the fake Centerpoint surround-sound effect converted from 2 sound tracks. Can you listen to the musical DVD while driving?

I went to my Mazda dealer on the other day to compare the Bose system in 2017 CX-5 to our 2016 CX-5's. I used the same song from memory stick in MP3 format in 2017 Bose with the same sound system setups. I would prefer to use a CD with better sound quality for comparison but couldn't. I found the high notes from 2017 Bose do improve with 2 new A-pillar real tweeters; but the bass from spare-tire sub-woofer sounded not much better and felt a little strange due to the placement at far rear IMO. The worst part is the 2017 Bose sounded different in a way that all instruments and vocals seem muddy and mixed together, it has no clarity like my 2016's from the same song. I'm a little disappointed as I didn't like the result of sound quality comparison from 2017 Bose other than the better high notes.

Yeah once you have a DVD player, you can play a DVD musical media which recorded in true 5-channel sound tracks plus 1 bass channel for sub-woofer with ture 5.1 surround-sound effect. Without DVD player, even with a CD, we can only listen to a "simulated" 5.1 Centerpoint surround-sound effect from 2-channel stereo recording at best! Unfortunately in US most people use DVD media with 5.1 surround-sound for movie watching only, I haven't seen a true DVD 5.1 surround-sound musical media available on the market. Yeah I wish we can have a CD/DVD player which can truely utilize the Bose 5.1 surround sound system, not just the fake Centerpoint surround-sound effect converted from 2 sound tracks. Can you listen to the musical DVD while driving?

I went to my Mazda dealer on the other day to compare the Bose system in 2017 CX-5 to our 2016 CX-5's. I used the same song from memory stick in MP3 format in 2017 Bose with the same sound system setups. I would prefer to use a CD with better sound quality for comparison but couldn't. I found the high notes from 2017 Bose do improve with 2 new A-pillar real tweeters; but the bass from spare-tire sub-woofer sounded not much better and felt a little strange due to the placement at far rear IMO. The worst part is the 2017 Bose sounded different in a way that all instruments and vocals seem muddy and mixed together, it has no clarity like my 2016's from the same song. I'm a little disappointed as I didn't like the result of sound quality comparison from 2017 Bose other than the better high notes.
I'm glad that you "get it" regarding the difference betweeen a DVD and an MP3 audio exeperience. I hope that Mazda does bring them back in the US.
The sound from the 5.1 is strikingly better! I played around with the settings the other day, when playing some 5.1 Talking Heads. I'm going to be digging out my other 5.1 discs (some Rolling Stones, the Who, and so on).
I tend to notice that even with CD, I get a fuller sound than with my MP3s. I'm not complaining about the MP3 sound, but as someone who appreciates the various different Beatles mixes - the mono over stereo on several, the DVD player really enhanced our drive today. Within Without You was swirling around in our car and my kid was trying to "catch" the sounds circling her head.
But yeah, someone will come back and try to convince me that CD/DVD is unnecessary and that convinence is more important and that you can't hear the difference blah blah blah.
These would be people who will argue to watch a movie at home rather than on an IMAX sound system for whatever reason, I guess.

Most people are moving to streaming so chances of getting cd player back seem remote....

Unfortunately in US most people use DVD media with 5.1 surround-sound for movie watching only, I haven't seen a true DVD 5.1 surround-sound musical media available on the market. Yeah I wish we can have a CD/DVD player which can truely utilize the Bose 5.1 surround sound system, not just the fake Centerpoint surround-sound effect converted from 2 sound tracks. Can you listen to the musical DVD while driving?

Guess this has me curious now as I have never listed to one of these discs... I'll have to track down some media as the Mark Levinson (17-speaker) in my GX is supposed to play these discs. Video goes off once the parking brake is disengaged but audio keeps playing. Player is a 6 disc CD/DVD changer.

I'm glad that you "get it" regarding the difference betweeen a DVD and an MP3 audio exeperience. I hope that Mazda does bring them back in the US.
The sound from the 5.1 is strikingly better! I played around with the settings the other day, when playing some 5.1 Talking Heads. I'm going to be digging out my other 5.1 discs (some Rolling Stones, the Who, and so on).
I tend to notice that even with CD, I get a fuller sound than with my MP3s. I'm not complaining about the MP3 sound, but as someone who appreciates the various different Beatles mixes - the mono over stereo on several, the DVD player really enhanced our drive today. Within Without You was swirling around in our car and my kid was trying to "catch" the sounds circling her head.
But yeah, someone will come back and try to convince me that CD/DVD is unnecessary and that convinence is more important and that you can't hear the difference blah blah blah.
These would be people who will argue to watch a movie at home rather than on an IMAX sound system for whatever reason, I guess.
I believe most Japanese appreciate "quality" than "quantity". Since you now live there you should fully understand what I meant. Even the smoothness of the elevator in Haneda Airport impresses me! Musical CD's or DVD's may have past their prime with other technologies, but the specs of them are undoubtfully superior than current average musical medias. Yeah we can use FLAC or WAV audio file format but it'd be huge on file size to get comparable quality to CDs or DVDs. We used to use flat 20 Hz ~20,000 Hz frequency response as an ideal for music system, but many new technologies including average MP3 file and Bluetooth wireless are all have worse frequency response specs and too much data compression, especially on high frequency which only support up to 15,000 Hz in most cases.

I definitely envy you who can enjoy higher quality musical sources such as a true 5.1 DVD in your CX-5. And wish Mazda North American Operations can let US customers have a chance to experience different and better DVD and CD sound in our new CX-5! Fake Centerpoint surround sound only for Bose system simply is a waste!

Guess this has me curious now as I have never listed to one of these discs... I'll have to track down some media as the Mark Levinson (17-speaker) in my GX is supposed to play these discs. Video goes off once the parking brake is disengaged but audio keeps playing. Player is a 6 disc CD/DVD changer.
Yep, if you have DVD/CD changer with your excellent and expensive 17-speaker Mark Levinson audio system in your GX, you may be able to enjoy true 5.1 surround sound like Mattyredsox does in Japan. The key is if your Mark Levinson supports 5.1 surround sound. But I think it does. Now you just need to find some good musical DVDs with true 5.1 sound tracks and enjoy! :)

Yep, you do have even newer 7.1 surround sound system:

THE LEXUS GX
WITH MARK LEVINSON PREMIUM SURROUND SOUND
Drive the midsize luxury utility vehicle that has the comfort and power for virtually any off-road adventure, and a 17-speaker Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound system for advanced audio.

attachment.php

IMG_0036.PNG

I'm saying that I'm happy to have a cd/DVD player to hear my music. Other regions have the sound system in the 2017, but not the player.

Oh gotcha. My 16 has one. Guess in 2017, removing the CD player in cars is like removing the headphone jack in smartphones. Both stupid and completely unnecessary.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back