2017 CX-5 Infotainment ghost touch issue

He's referring to the "ghost touch" issue with some infotainment screens. Service Program SSPB6 extends warranty to 7 years but it's only for Mazda 3, even though problem was reported in CX5 and Mazda 6. If you visit dealer or talk to corporate and they won't honor warranty, check Youtube for videos in how to disconnect ribbon cable in display and disable touch.

My '17 CX-5 started doing the ghost touches in 2020. Recently became more frequent and it was changing various settings as well. Like other reports, it only does this dance when stopped, as the touchscreen is otherwise disabled when moving.

I pulled the ribbon cable last night for the touch interface. 30 min start to finish. Unlike one of the YouTube videos, I took the back cover off the LCD panel, and neatly cut away, with a utility knife, that raised plastic section covering the ribbon, vs chewing it away with needle nose.

1667842438624.png

I also removed the remainder of the oleophobic coating on the touchscreen face, as Windex had made it blotchy over the last few years. Isopropyl (90%) and a rag did the trick. You can do this as well, while the touchscreen is installed in the vehicle. Just put down painters tape below the screen on the dash face to protect it from being saturated with alcohol and to prevent rub marks from the rag.

My '17 CX-5 started doing the ghost touches in 2020. Recently became more frequent and it was changing various settings as well. Like other reports, it only does this dance when stopped, as the touchscreen is otherwise disabled when moving.

I pulled the ribbon cable last night for the touch interface. 30 min start to finish. Unlike one of the YouTube videos, I took the back cover off the LCD panel, and neatly cut away, with a utility knife, that raised plastic section covering the ribbon, vs chewing it away with needle nose.

View attachment 314066

I also removed the remainder of the oleophobic coating on the touchscreen face, as Windex had made it blotchy over the last few years. Isopropyl (90%) and a rag did the trick. You can do this as well, while the touchscreen is installed in the vehicle. Just put down painters tape below the screen on the dash face to protect it from being saturated with alcohol and to prevent rub marks from the rag.
Mine was change by the dealer for free, after I bug the service associate so much lol.

Yep, just have to dissemble the touchscreen cover further to get at the connector.
Thanks. Am hoping there will be a recall some day (wishful thinking I know) so would like to keep my options open. Is this whole process something a novice like myself can tackle? Don't really fancy spending $1200 for this and its getting very, vert annoying.

Thanks. Am hoping there will be a recall some day (wishful thinking I know) so would like to keep my options open. Is this whole process something a novice like myself can tackle? Don't really fancy spending $1200 for this and its getting very, vert annoying.
No way to define "novice". Watch the video and decide.

Is this repair supposed to be free of charge? You just go to the dealer and they will fix it for you?

Does the 2016.5 have the same sort of ribbon to disconnect? I had an app that I used to allow touch while moving, I wonder if it could turn off touch?

Back