2017 CX-5 Gas usage

First real 'road trip' of 280 miles today. Pushed the odometer past the 1,000 mile mark. Arterial and divided hiway with speeds kept down to 60-65mph. Hot and humid day with a 15-20 MPH breeze.

Result? 31.9 miles per gallon. I think I got a good one!

Good News .. so pretty much hits / exceeds EPA numbers. Not surprised.

Tire rack shows a completely different tire for the A36.

I got these:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...&autoModel=CX-5 AWD&autoModClar=Grand Touring

Wasn't a cheap day at the tire shop... $800 or so out the door. Got a $70 rebate card, though. These ride much better than the Toyos
Tire replacement isn't cheap nowadays. But at least these tires with 700~800 A A UTQG should last at least 2 times longer on treadwear than OE Toyo tires with 300 A A. General AltiMAX RT43 and Continental TrueContact 225/55R19 99H are the lightest tires (24.4/25 lbs) at this size and the softer ride characteristics compensate the firm CX-5 nicely.

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

First real 'road trip' of 280 miles today. Pushed the odometer past the 1,000 mile mark. Arterial and divided hiway with speeds kept down to 60-65mph. Hot and humid day with a 15-20 MPH breeze.

Result? 31.9 miles per gallon. I think I got a good one!
Yeah you definitely got a good fuel efficiency SA-G 2.5L! My AWD CX-5 will have a hard time to reach 30mpg on the highway even if I drive 10 below speed limit at 65mph!

Good News .. so pretty much hits / exceeds EPA numbers. Not surprised.
Let's see, in this thread:

OP immasecretninja drove his new 2017 AWD CX-5 975 miles and has average MPG at 18.3.
Dimcorner drove his new 2017 AWD CX-5 500 miles with 90% city and has first tank MPG at 22.5.
paging_drburgos drove his new 2017 (FWD?) CX-5 mixed and has average MPG at 25.1.
Pipemajor drove his new 2017 AWD CX-5 for a 280-mile road trip at 900 miles and got average MPG at 31.9.

EPA estimated MPG for 2017 CX-5 FWD is 27/24/31 and AWD is 26/23/29 combined/city/highway. Based on these samples your conclusion is those 2017 CX-5's pretty much hit / exceed EPA numbers? Or you only based on Pipemajor's one sample who got the best fuel efficient SA-G engine among them?

Why resetting the average MPG has anything to do with the poor MPG readout? Those brand new 2017 CX-5's all got fresh start on those computer settings from factory. The average MPG is from factory to current.

New engine may use more gas? What happened on Pipemajor's brand new engine then? (uhm)

I have to agree with Unobtanium though. This's the second time Mazda has lowered EPA ratings for 2.5L CX-5 after Mazda raised EPA ratings for 2016 CX-5. The latest ratings seem like closer to the reality.

Official 2017 2nd-Gen CX-5 EPA Fuel Economy Ratings Are Out

OP immasecretninja drove his new 2017 AWD CX-5 975 miles and has average MPG at 18.3.
Dimcorner drove his new 2017 AWD CX-5 500 miles with 90% city and has first tank MPG at 22.5.
paging_drburgos drove his new 2017 (FWD?) CX-5 mixed and has average MPG at 25.1.
Pipemajor drove his new 2017 AWD CX-5 for a 280-mile road trip at 900 miles and got average MPG at 31.9.

EPA estimated MPG for 2017 CX-5 FWD is 27/24/31 and AWD is 26/23/29 combined/city/highway. Based on these samples your conclusion is those 2017 CX-5's pretty much hit / exceed EPA numbers? Or you only based on Pipemajor's one sample who got the best fuel efficient SA-G engine among them?

Why resetting the average MPG has anything to do with the poor MPG readout? Those brand new 2017 CX-5's all got fresh start on those computer settings from factory. The average MPG is from factory to current.

New engine may use more gas? What happened on Pipemajor's brand new engine then? (uhm)

I have to agree with Unobtanium though. This's the second time Mazda has lowered EPA ratings for 2.5L CX-5 after Mazda raised EPA ratings for 2016 CX-5. The latest ratings seem like closer to the reality.

To be fair, break in is a real thing. I used to think it was BS until I got a Z06 and experienced break-in first hand via oil-usage, tail-pipe sooting, etc. that was very apparent before 500 miles, and after that went COMPLETELY away.

Bear in mind that I manually calculate mpg at each fillup - actually using the app at fuelly.com per my signature. I find the computer-generated numbers from the vehicle are typically a bit optimistic yet, in my city driving, I'm doing 27, almost 28 mpg and did nearly 32 mpg on my long distance road trip.

I have to feel most differences are the result of the driver. Our other vehicle is a Camry Hybrid and it has 'trained' us to adapt hybrid strategies - i.e., I generally coast up to stop signs earlier than more sporty drivers. Yet, I was playing with the sport mode setting rather extensively on my 2nd tank.

I find my mpg numbers always drop significantly during winter driving as it takes longer to get the engine up to operating temperature and the winter blends of gasoline (higher ethanol content) aren't as thermally efficient as purer gasoline. I use nothing but 87 octane out of the pump. Tires are kept inflated around 35-36 psi.

Biggest deterrent to economy is speed. Any vehicle is going to achieve much better economy numbers driven at 50-60mph vs. 60-70mph. Our boxy CSUVs aren't great at slipping through the air.

Last edited:
I think the 17 is a little heavier but very aero dynamic compared to 16. So highway FE was going to be doable. The 16 that I have - can hit 30+ mpg on trips easily. the tank is 28 cause of small errands / idle time etc.
My 16 in the year 2016 is better than all options I know for city driving.
So I still stand by my conclusion, my FWD can beat city and combined by a small 1 mpg or 2. But Highway - never even seen 32 forget 33.
24 for city is harsh imo. I think many will see very similar to 2016s. More so if they manually shift up faster than Auto mode does.

Do the 2017's reset the MPG average when the trip odometer is reset? Previous model years do not, so it is important to reset the MPG from time to time, preferably when on the road.

This would not be good. If the car has idled for awhile somewhere in there between factory to ownership it will pull down the numbers quickly. Also not sure what kind of testing the vehicle goes through. New owner needs to reset it.

Why resetting the average MPG has anything to do with the poor MPG readout?

Because if you reset the average mpg and then get stuck in very slowly traffic that is start/stop, of course there will be a poor average.

As mentioned previously, to get the best mpg, you need to be travelling at a sustained speed and not doing very short trips.

Although the number of cars on fuelly is still low, so far it looks similar to the 2016 model:

Based on data from 16 vehicles, 68 fuel-ups and 18,248 miles of driving, the 2017 Mazda CX-5 gets a combined Avg MPG of 26.00 with a 0.82 MPG margin of error.

The 2016 is this:

Based on data from 335 vehicles, 12,285 fuel-ups and 3,580,262 miles of driving, the 2016 Mazda CX-5 gets a combined Avg MPG of 25.91 with a 0.07 MPG margin of error.

This is just the 2.5 gas engine.

This indeed does bode well for me when I get it.

Seen a review somewhere [cant remember where though (uhm)] where they said Mazda owner usually get very close to official consumption figures compared to the other car makers

here's more data..

This indeed does bode well for me when I get it.

Seen a review somewhere [cant remember where though (uhm)] where they said Mazda owner usually get very close to official consumption figures compared to the other car makers

Yes I have read that too, somewhere.
I own a 2016 Touring AWD with just over 7,000 miles, no roof rails, original tires, my trip computer says I average 25.8 mpg.
My last four hour trip my CX-5 got 33 MPG with three people and our luggage.

So on about 15-mile highway trips, using the radar-assisted cruise control set to 60mph (even with some slowdowns along the way to 20mph) I'm coming in around 32mpg on average for those segments. With the A/C running, and the car full of people. No hills.

We now have approx 1,600 kms on our '17 Canadian GS and with what I believe is ~80% city / short trip driving we are at 9.3 l/100 kms average since we took delivery.

The average was at 9.4, then yesterday we took a nice leisurely 120 ish km round trip and it went down a notch. Trip average was 7.4 there and 7.8 l/100 kms back for each 60 km leg. It appears to be slowly getting better / levelling out. If we can get it to around 9.0 l/100 kms for our driving patterns I'll be happy. Well we're already happy, but will be happier :)

Do the 2017's reset the MPG average when the trip odometer is reset? Previous model years do not, so it is important to reset the MPG from time to time, preferably when on the road.

Yes, yes they do and the manual rest long, skinny button in the dashboard doesn't do anything - have to reset it by holding the info button on the steering wheel.

As far as mileage, we're 2,500 miles in. Best tank so far was 28.6 (all highway, mild temps). Worst was 23.1 for a 50/50 mix of driving with the A/C cranking the whole time due to hot temps. Average of 26.9.

Florida driver here. Mix of 60% "highway" (converted streets to overpasses) and 40% city streets.

Total miles: 1212
Gallons Filled: 44.472
MPG: 27.25

Couldn't ask for it to be more accurate. Average around 32 MPG into work. A bit less coming home due to traffic.

We now have approx 1,600 kms on our '17 Canadian GS and with what I believe is ~80% city / short trip driving we are at 9.3 l/100 kms average since we took delivery.

The average was at 9.4, then yesterday we took a nice leisurely 120 ish km round trip and it went down a notch. Trip average was 7.4 there and 7.8 l/100 kms back for each 60 km leg. It appears to be slowly getting better / levelling out. If we can get it to around 9.0 l/100 kms for our driving patterns I'll be happy. Well we're already happy, but will be happier :)

Those are indeed good figures!

Back