2017 CX-5 "Flexible" Oil Change Setting

When the first time I started using Flexible OCI on my 2000 BMW 528i, it does have the maximum upper limit set to 18,000 miles! Of course it won't be that long the count-down 5-bar system will tell you changing the oil, at about 10,000 ~ 12,000 miles like you said. But I never waited that long to change oil, usually at 5,000 ~ 7,000 miles or 1 year with full synthetic oil and reset the Flexible counter.

For 2016 Mazda CX-5, the Flexible OCI has the maximum upper limits set at 10,000 miles or 12 months. It won't pass that before the oil change wrench indicator shows up. For 2017 CX-5 the upper limits on Flexible OCI is 7,500 miles or 12 months. From my experience on CX-5's Flexible system for 19K miles and 2+ years, I usually get 30% oil life left at about 5K ~ 6K miles with all city driving, and that's the time for me to change oil with Mazda moly.

Having split my adult life between the US and the UK, I think a lot of the "science" behind oil changes is based on historical norms and marketing.

I checked the UK Mazda service intervals and these are set for 12,500 miles which is quite common for vehicles in the UK. The Brits don't question it as the marketing of synthetic oils gives them the peace of mind that longer intervals are reasonable.

In the US, there is a more conservative approach to oil change frequencies. The oil companies here don't push the qualities of their engine oil as hard as in the UK so there seems to be a reluctance to go much beyond 5,0000 - 7,500m.

From what I've read, synthetic oil resists breaking down much better than it's Dino equivalent. It seems that it's almost unnecessary to use synthetic oil for 7,500m intervals as their real benefit is providing protection for double / triple that distance.

On the other hand, Americans demand tires that last 40, 50, 60,000 miles which is generally not the case in the UK. The Brits are marketed to buy higher performance tyres which wear out much faster.

Just my observations. YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having split my adult life between the US and the UK, I think a lot of the "science" behind oil changes is based on historical norms and marketing.

I checked the UK Mazda service intervals and these are set for 12,500 miles which is quite common for vehicles in the UK. The Brits don't question it as the marketing of synthetic oils gives them the peace of mind that longer intervals are reasonable.

In the US, there is a more conservative approach to oil change frequencies. The oil companies here don't push the qualities of their engine oil as hard as in the UK so there seems to be a reluctance to go much beyond 5,0000 - 7,500m.

From what I've read, synthetic oil resists breaking down much better than it's Dino equivalent. It seems that it's almost unnecessary to use synthetic oil for 7,500m intervals as their real benefit is providing protection for double / triple that distance.

On the other hand, Americans demand tires that last 40, 50, 60,000 miles which is generally not the case in the UK. The Brits are marketed to buy higher performance tyres which wear out much faster.

Just my observations. YMMV.

Europe's synthetic oils have higher standards and therefore will last longer than most U.S. spec'd "synthetic" oils.

Europe's synthetic oils have higher standards and therefore will last longer than most U.S. spec'd "synthetic" oils.

Interesting. I'm guessing the likes of Mercedes US and Land Rover US use engine oil that's more in line with the European synthetic oils as the ML 550 I had would need servicing once a year with me driving around 12,000miles annually and LR US intervals are now 15,000miles. My old 2005 LR3 required 7,500m changes in the US but they changed that to 15,000 from around the 2010 MY.

I've never thought of that...but its SO true! I love changing oil but HATE buying tires!

I thought buying performance tires for my somewhat sporty hatchbacks in the UK every 12-15k was acceptable....in hindsight, pretty sure I would have traded a smidge of lateral Gs for double the life span, plus the tires would likely have been cheaper!

I thought buying performance tires for my somewhat sporty hatchbacks in the UK every 12-15k was acceptable....in hindsight, pretty sure I would have traded a smidge of lateral Gs for double the life span, plus the tires would likely have been cheaper!

The Toyo's on my brand new CX-5 are only rated at 300 Treadwear. I barely drive 8000 miles per year and I'm already sweating that! Your sentiments are spot on!

On the plus side they seem like good tires!

The Toyo's on my brand new CX-5 are only rated at 300 Treadwear. I barely drive 8000 miles per year and I'm already sweating that! Your sentiments are spot on!

On the plus side they seem like good tires!

No complaints so far! Seem to have decent grip, though I haven't really tested them hard. Not too noisy either.

I tend to be skeptical about OEM tires as they seem to wear significantly worse than comparably priced and performing after market alternatives.

I'll likely get some winter rims and tires given the winters we get.

Interesting. I'm guessing the likes of Mercedes US and Land Rover US use engine oil that's more in line with the European synthetic oils as the ML 550 I had would need servicing once a year with me driving around 12,000miles annually and LR US intervals are now 15,000miles. My old 2005 LR3 required 7,500m changes in the US but they changed that to 15,000 from around the 2010 MY.

For the longest time many of the "synthetic" oils we see locally here in the states at a Walmart, Pepboys, Autozones, ect could not pass certification as a true synthetic...at least in Europe. That said I think the OEM oils you get at say a Mercedes Dealership could've been the more expensive European Formula. I'm not sure how it is these days but many high end European car enthusiasts would order European Formula oils online. When I had my BMW it had Castrol 5-30 Synthetic on the hood as the recommended oil but at the time the US spec of that oil found in stores was merely the synthetic blend. Naturally it would have a shorter effective lifespan than the Euro equivalent.

Today I think the US's mainstream synthetic oils may have caught up to European standards from like 7 years ago :) Boutique oils like Amsoil offered true synthetic oils for decades in the US though.

We are so behind.
How long have you Europeans been using "Chip Readers" in your credit cards? YEARS I am guessing. We just started last year. I went to Canada a few months ago and was like "Oh you guys are doing the chip reader thing, too, huh?". To which the Canadian replied "Uh, yea for like 10 years now..."

We are so behind.
How long have you Europeans been using "Chip Readers" in your credit cards? YEARS I am guessing. We just started last year. I went to Canada a few months ago and was like "Oh you guys are doing the chip reader thing, too, huh?". To which the Canadian replied "Uh, yea for like 10 years now..."

Wow. This thread is very enlightening.

My dealer oil changes were using the Mazda Moly oil for the first 2-3 changes then switched to the Castrol Edge I believe.

We are so behind.

Want to see how far the USA has fallen behind, take a trip to China. It is eye opening.

Pennzoil Platinum with Liqui Moly 2009 added.

Last edited:
Canada....was pretty eye opening. They got rid of their pennies, years ago.
The credit card thing? It also never leaves your possession. Like at a restaurant here we give our waiter our card? Yea, in Canada they bring a portable card reader to your table. No one even ever sees your card. ******* brilliant! Anyway...wayyyt OT. Sorry.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Canada....was pretty eye opening. They got rid of their pennies, years ago.
The credit card thing? It also never leaves your possession. Like at a restaurant here we give our waiter our card? Yea, in Canada they bring a portable card reader to your table. No one even ever sees your card. ******* brilliant! Anyway...wayyyt OT. Sorry.

The European system uses chip and pin technology where you insert the card into the reader and then enter the PIN into the reader. The US system currently just requires the card to be inserted into the reader.

Europe, Australia and much of the rest of the world is now rapidly moving to contactless payments. Solutions such as ApplePay but also RFID chips in credit card.

Here's an article on the take-up here in the US. Slightly old article but I haven't seen wide scale take up yet in NYC.

http://www.pymnts.com/nfc/2016/uk-lessons-for-us-mobile-payments-adoption/

The UK got rid of the pound note for a coin decades ago and are losing the 5 note this month. I can't see the dollar bill going anywhere any time soon - too iconic?

Definitely OT. Humble apologies.

The UK got rid of the pound note for a coin decades ago and are losing the 5 note this month. I can't see the dollar bill going anywhere any time soon - too iconic?

Whoops, slight misinformation and "fake news" here. The OLD paper 5 note is no longer legal tender as it has been replaced by a new plastic version with better security printing and holograms etc. The plastic version should last longer and be harder to forge.

I'm sure our Australian friends will correct me if I'm wrong but I think Australia has had plastic note currency for a while. (Sorry for going off topic).

Want to see how far the USA has fallen behind, take a trip to China. It is eye opening.
Chinese don't need credit card with chip and pin, but the "mobile wallet" feature that covers both online and in-store payments. They can use smart phone serves as our credit card to pay via WeChat or Alipay apps!

The European system uses chip and pin technology where you insert the card into the reader and then enter the PIN into the reader. The US system currently just requires the card to be inserted into the reader.

Europe, Australia and much of the rest of the world is now rapidly moving to contactless payments. Solutions such as ApplePay but also RFID chips in credit card.

Here's an article on the take-up here in the US. Slightly old article but I haven't seen wide scale take up yet in NYC.

http://www.pymnts.com/nfc/2016/uk-lessons-for-us-mobile-payments-adoption/

In Australia, for several years now we have had "tap and go" where the credit or debit card is just touched to the merchants reader. No need to insert card into machine in vast majority of cases. Purchases below a certain amount, usually $100, go thru without even a pin number needing to be entered.

Phone pay is becoming more commonly used too. Just hold ypur phone near the reader .....

And Apple pay is taking off.....

Netbanking is the norm. Last time I actually went into a bank was about 3 years ago....

ATM's are now being rdeuced substantially in number because early everyone uses cards to pay, not cash. Suggestions are they will be eliminated within a few years, as you can do cash withdrawals at most shops when making purchases.

We did away with 1cent and 2 cent pieces decades ago, purchases are rounded to nearest 5c. $1 and $2 notes were changed to coins so long ago I cant remember.

As someone said, Our latest bank notes (at least the last 10 years) include security features, holograms and other smart stuff that makes counterfeiting close to impossible, or at least very easy to detect. We are exporting this banknote technology to other countries, I gather.

The downside is that the banks are finding more and more ways to gouge us with fees for electronic transactions that bear no resmblance to the cost of those transactions.

Our passports also have facial recognition and holograms as well.

Whoops, slight misinformation and "fake news" here. The OLD paper 5 note is no longer legal tender as it has been replaced by a new plastic version with better security printing and holograms etc. The plastic version should last longer and be harder to forge.

I'm sure our Australian friends will correct me if I'm wrong but I think Australia has had plastic note currency for a while. (Sorry for going off topic).

I think that was more an "alternative fact". Obviously reading The Sun online hasn't quite kept me updated!

And the US has penny lobbyists that fight for us to keep these worthless chits. #BigZinc
And Lincoln lobbyists who seem to think we'll forget him without pennies. Got 9 minutes?
https://youtu.be/_tyszHg96KI

Last edited:
Pennzoil Platinum with Liqui Moly 2009 added.

Pennzoil Platinum as (well as certain Mobil1 oil possibly) uses Tri-Nuclear Moly. Essentially oil smart guys on BITOG forums say small amounts of Tri-Nuclear Moly > or = large amounts of Old School Moly tech from decades ago still used today.

PP 0w20 plus an OEM transmission fluid change on our CX-5 @67k miles and people swear it feels like a new engine revving and new tranny shifting. Buttery smooth.

In your case your engine should be very happy. Double dipping that Moly :)

Back