2017 Advanced SCBS

A capacitor discharge to the left foot would soon cure the habit.

Except for those who always drive an automatic with two feet [there are a few, I'm afraid].
I've tried it, and can't do it. The left foot is for the clutch, unless you're an F1 driver.
I use my left foot to keep my butt in place... when I'm not scratching my head with it! (uhm)

Does ANYONE here brake with their left foot?

Nope, my dad taught me not too, and i learned on a manual, so never had the opportunity too get into bad habits.

Except for those who always drive an automatic with two feet [there are a few, I'm afraid].
I've tried it, and can't do it. The left foot is for the clutch, unless you're an F1 driver.
I use my left foot to keep my butt in place... when I'm not scratching my head with it! (uhm)

Does ANYONE here brake with their left foot?

Does a Vietnam vet get flashbacks of war?....hold that thought...sometimes I pretend I'm driving stick using the left to brake right to accel LOL

I may just get a good home video game system set up with steering wheel, seat, stick shift and clutch.

"The squeaky wheel gets new shoes."
I'm surprised they were willing to do that for squeaking. Sounds like an unusually responsive dealer. You're lucky to have one like that.

They're a bit more responsive considering they messed up my lease papers twice. Brake pads/rotor replacements were replaced for free.

It would have been good to have the tech show you exactly why they needed replacing. Thats water under the bridge now.

Had I waited around for them to show me why the brakes were like that would've been best. The receipt states "rotors out of spec, rear pads under spec. replaced both rotors and pads." My last Mazda3 didn't show any brake fade or screeching until 40k miles.

Could just have been faulty brakes/pads out of the factory

This may have been the case. For anyone who might want to know, I sit in stop and go traffic for an hour every day. I use RDC often to follow the car in front of me at a speed of 25mph, and I use brake hold function almost as much. I don't think any of these would affect brake pads going out so soon. I get on average 24-25 mpg.

Having brake pads under spec normally does not mean the rotors have to be replaced. I guess I’m the suspicious type when it comes to stealers.

Having brake pads under spec normally does not mean the rotors have to be replaced. I guess I’m the suspicious type when it comes to stealers.

I'm with you there. My wife took her Honda in for an airbag recall, and while there they do they're gold mining inspection. They said she needed new front pads and rotors. I emailed the service manager to ask how urgently the brakes needed to be done. He replied: "Your brakes should be done as soon as possible. If you wait too long, you run the risk of the pads wearing out and the backing plate metal of the pad gouging into the rotors."

I hope the logical flaw is obvious there. And they wanted something like $600 to do the front brakes and fluid.

Maybe the owner should get a second opinion at an independent mechanic

I'm with you there. My wife took her Honda in for an airbag recall, and while there they do they're gold mining inspection. They said she needed new front pads and rotors. I emailed the service manager to ask how urgently the brakes needed to be done. He replied: "Your brakes should be done as soon as possible. If you wait too long, you run the risk of the pads wearing out and the backing plate metal of the pad gouging into the rotors."

I hope the logical flaw is obvious there. And they wanted something like $600 to do the front brakes and fluid.

$600 for the front brakes and fluid???

Oh I hope a second opinion was gotten. A good independent mechanic would do it for far far less.

$600 for the front brakes and fluid???

Oh I hope a second opinion was gotten. A good independent mechanic would do it for far far less.

The pads were low, not to the screeching wear indicators though. I did the brakes myself, so I just bought some well rated, medium quality inexpensive rotors. Its not worth getting a micrometer, or having them turned, I just put new ones in.

But why should I have been concerned about ruining my rotors, when the Honda service department had already said I need new ones (with no indication as to why).

I kind of like they're fishing expeditions, it lets me know what to look at, and I can claim credit with my wife for all of the money I saved, doing it myself, compared to their inflated prices. They wanted like $1000 for the front shocks. Shocking!

The pads were low, not to the screeching wear indicators though. I did the brakes myself, so I just bought some well rated, medium quality inexpensive rotors. Its not worth getting a micrometer, or having them turned, I just put new ones in.

But why should I have been concerned about ruining my rotors, when the Honda service department had already said I need new ones (with no indication as to why).

I kind of like they're fishing expeditions, it lets me know what to look at, and I can claim credit with my wife for all of the money I saved, doing it myself, compared to their inflated prices. They wanted like $1000 for the front shocks. Shocking!

The service dept is the money maker for the dealer. Yep, $1000 for front shocks? Yet so many do not know and get it done.

Out here in NJ/NY its pretty average - if rotors re-surfaced with new pads ; its approx. $250 per axle ; if new rotors its approx. $325 per axle. Before tax and tax is HIGH here.
Brake fluid replacement is $130, on top. Vehicle: CX5

If one wants to get it fixed at a Mazda service centre, one can call a few service centres and find out the best price

Back