2016 Mazda3 - which color to get? (factory)

levets

:
Mazda 3
My choices will be limited due to price and availability (and impending immediate need, limited number of dealers, etc.)

They had two Blue Mica which I thought were a nice color (one with black interior one with white - which I liked but may show dirt/wear).

They also had a "silver" one (not sure of exact color).

I didn't dislike the red, but none in base model.

I have two white cars currently, and just don't want another. My last two cars were green, but they don't have a green so...

But to any tend to show dirt/scratches etc. more than another color?

Darker colors do reveal clear coat scratches far more easily than very light colors like white and light pastels. Another consideration is overall amount of sun to which the car will be exposed. Darker cars under constant sun will eventually have their clear coat "burned off". I use a car cover during the day so that isn't a concern.
Have you looked at reflex blue? That somewhat in between dark and light.
I had a white 89 Mazda MX6 GT for 17 years and only during the last couple of years did the clear coat start burning off.

I'm curious about clear coat peel and what an Auto Store employee once called "the cancer". My 97 Civic has a very few spots where the clear coat has "dinged" - maybe a rock, or maybe just age, but these are very small - pencil eraser-sized spots. Otherwise, it's fine.

I've seen plenty of others on the road the age of mine and newer with obvious problems - and many older cars by other manufacturers as well. Our Accord started peeling on the fenders pretty early on (the Civic is actually a darker green than the accord was).

Mine was driveway kept it's entire life. Always outside.

The only thing I know is my Civic was built in Japan...

My father has always attributed to acid rain!

But again, I'm not sure the sun and rain come into play given the luck I've had with mine - it may be more about QC at the factory! Of course that's not something we have control over!!!

I can tell you right now, I'm not the type of person who could keep up with a car cover. I think cleaning out my garage and garage-keeping it, and parking in the parking garage at work will do the most to keep it out of the elements while not driving. As I said in my other response to you, that will probably also do the best for the electronics.

And given the situation, it's not really like I'm going to be able to pick a color - unless a new batch of cars arrives today or tomorrow and there's something brand new on the lot that wasn't there Friday. Looks like the Blue Mica with either black or almond interior. And it'll be the black interior unless they can handle the recall that's keeping the almond interior version on the lot.

Thanks,
Steve

Most dealerships can swap with other dealerships and still offer the buyer the same discounts. If there is a different color you'd prefer, by all means ask your dealership salesperson about the availability of other colors.

Last time we were looking for the employee pricing on a vehicle, they were pretty much wanting to me to take something from existing inventory. In fact, two times now we didn't go for the employee pricing because they didn't have what we wanted, and ended up getting something under that price once, and just wanted a car from a different type of dealer. At this point though, I'm a beggar, and not going to be able to choose...in fact, I'm still hoping the car is on the lot tomorrow...or else I'm going to have choose something I really don't want :-(

Before I bought a new Corvette in 2001, I couldn't find the color/transmission combo I wanted, here in this area, so I ordered from a dealership in Alabama. I got a better deal by $1000 and the car was delivered to my door within 3 weeks or so. Think outside the box and call other dealerships, Don't settle for a color you really don't want, especially when we're talking about a brand new car.

I'm curious about clear coat peel and what an Auto Store employee once called "the cancer". My 97 Civic has a very few spots where the clear coat has "dinged" - maybe a rock, or maybe just age, but these are very small - pencil eraser-sized spots. Otherwise, it's fine.

I've seen plenty of others on the road the age of mine and newer with obvious problems - and many older cars by other manufacturers as well. Our Accord started peeling on the fenders pretty early on (the Civic is actually a darker green than the accord was).

Mine was driveway kept it's entire life. Always outside.

The only thing I know is my Civic was built in Japan...

My father has always attributed to acid rain!

But again, I'm not sure the sun and rain come into play given the luck I've had with mine - it may be more about QC at the factory! Of course that's not something we have control over!!!

I can tell you right now, I'm not the type of person who could keep up with a car cover. I think cleaning out my garage and garage-keeping it, and parking in the parking garage at work will do the most to keep it out of the elements while not driving. As I said in my other response to you, that will probably also do the best for the electronics.

And given the situation, it's not really like I'm going to be able to pick a color - unless a new batch of cars arrives today or tomorrow and there's something brand new on the lot that wasn't there Friday. Looks like the Blue Mica with either black or almond interior. And it'll be the black interior unless they can handle the recall that's keeping the almond interior version on the lot.

Thanks,
Steve

Hondas are notorious for having terrible paint. I've owned other dark vehicles for just as long with not a single clear coat issue.

Back