2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

A couple things off the top of my head that I don't like now that I've put in about 1,300 miles or so on my 2016 CX-5 GT w/ tech & iActivesense:

1) For those with adaptive headlights, the AFS OFF button was moved to be a feature buried in the infotainment system. I don't really care whether there is a dedicated button for it or if it is buried in the infotainment system (since I don't press those buttons much anyways), but it seems silly that all of the other on/off buttons (such as for the lane departure warning, blind-spot monitoring, etc.) are on the left-side of the dash, and this one is not (though it used to be, and was apparently moved for 2016 for some reason). It seems to me they should have either moved ALL of the buttons to the infotainment system and used the empty space on the left-side of the dash for something else, or they should have just left the button there. Perhaps this is a pre-cursor to a future design change for 2017?

2) A bit more/better lighting in the interior would be nice. I'm thinking make the interior bulbs and license plate bulbs LEDs as a standard, add LED lighting to the cup holders, and offer optional LED lighting for the foot-wells.

3) No foot-activated power lift-gate. No trunk release on the key fob, either.

I found the AFS on/off. I was wondering where that was.

Last edited:
1. The rear headrests. I absolutely hate them and removed them the second day I had the car. I've replaced them with the Euro/Asian headrests.

2. I wish the switch for the Sport Mode was on the steering wheel rather than on the console. I'm sure it'll be easier to find as time goes by, but one month in, I still have trouble reaching down and finding it when I need it.

Other than that, I'm very happy with the CX-5.

I hate that the drivers seat on my 2016 touring cannot slide fore and aft without the seat going up or down
LED foglight bezels

Right? How hard would it have been to put at least a plastic plate over the dead pedal? Did Mazda think that because of the higher seating position that people wouldn't put there foot on the dead pedal area and instead rest it flat on the floor mat? I'm contemplating getting a pedal cover set, either OEM ($$$) or the ebay ones. I really wish they had a matching dead pedal for the no drill pedal covers on ebay. They do, but only ones that say Mazdaspeed, and the CX-5 is not a Speed car at all.

$40 at Medcenter Mazda. --> http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-alloy-foot-rest.html

I got one and had it installed by my dealer when/before I picked up the car.

LED foglight bezels

Mazda should've went with this look on the 2016 CX-5 foglights...

933032_2015_Mazda6_2014_LAAS_EU_SDN_Action_7__jpg300-e1425625334188-618x383.jpg

Right? How hard would it have been to put at least a plastic plate over the dead pedal? Did Mazda think that because of the higher seating position that people wouldn't put there foot on the dead pedal area and instead rest it flat on the floor mat? I'm contemplating getting a pedal cover set, either OEM ($$$) or the ebay ones. I really wish they had a matching dead pedal for the no drill pedal covers on ebay. They do, but only ones that say Mazdaspeed, and the CX-5 is not a Speed car at all.
$40 at Medcenter Mazda. --> http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-alloy-foot-rest.html
I got one and had it installed by my dealer when/before I picked up the car.
You have to drill and screw the OEM alloy plate to the floor which apparently Ride92 doesn't like (so do I). Also a single shining alloy dead pedal looks awkward too. Mazda USA positioned CX-5 as one notch below the Mazda6 hence missing a plastic plate over the dead pedal, rear AC vents, liftgate release buttons near driver seat and key fob, and memory seat which are all installed or available on Mazda6!

You have to drill and screw the OEM alloy plate to the floor which apparently Ride92 doesn't like (so do I). Also a single shining alloy dead pedal looks awkward too. Mazda USA positioned CX-5 as one notch below the Mazda6 hence missing a plastic plate over the dead pedal, rear AC vents, liftgate release buttons near driver seat and key fob, and memory seat which are all installed or available on Mazda6!

I didn't like the drilling part either, which is why I had the dealership do it professionally (they made sure that there won't be any water leakage, etc). Aside from the fact that I did not have the tools at home, anyway.

Truth be told, though, the footrest really is not that noticeable and for me it's more about functionality than optics. It will keep the carpet from wearing out, and I am sure after a little while of use, it will be a lot less shiny...

I'm disappointed that the fuel door release is still on the floorboard for 2016....and I can't 'pair' the garage door opener to the Homelink....(I tried all the methods in the manual)

I'm disappointed that the fuel door release is still on the floorboard for 2016....and I can't 'pair' the garage door opener to the Homelink....(I tried all the methods in the manual)

Is it a Homelink problem or a garage door problem? I can't pair my 2015 with our condo garage door opener, but a close look at the Homelink site shows that our opener is not compatible with any Homelink. We'd need to change the radio receiving unit on the door mechanism for Homelink to work, and that brings concerns of thieves cloning openers.

Is it a Homelink problem or a garage door problem? I can't pair my 2015 with our condo garage door opener, but a close look at the Homelink site shows that our opener is not compatible with any Homelink. We'd need to change the radio receiving unit on the door mechanism for Homelink to work, and that brings concerns of thieves cloning openers.

kramer is in Germany so maybe that has something to do with it?

I think the fact that the opener is older than my adult kids has something to do with it.. :frown:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm missing something but pressing the on button won't enable the driver to roll down the windows. Car has to be started first.

Last edited:

I didn't like the drilling part either, which is why I had the dealership do it professionally (they made sure that there won't be any water leakage, etc). Aside from the fact that I did not have the tools at home, anyway.

Truth be told, though, the footrest really is not that noticeable and for me it's more about functionality than optics. It will keep the carpet from wearing out, and I am sure after a little while of use, it will be a lot less shiny...

The pedal does not actually drill into the floor. You have to drill out some of the styrofoam underneath the carpeting to allow clearance for the screws. A metal plate tucks under the carpeting and sits on top of the foam and then the dead pedal screws into the plate through the carpet. A very easy install.

I also did the brake (just slides on) and the gas (some drilling into the plastic pedal) and they were all an easy install.

The headliner and sun visors feel a bit cheap. I remember reading someone here commenting that the headliner felt like stamped cardboard, and I would have to agree. Some of the fit and finish are not as precise as say my Accord. The gaps seem a bit wide.

But I consider these small issues. Overall the car feels very solid, and well built. The areas where your hands and eyes commonly come in contact with are satisfying.

That every other car companies navigation traffic overlays work, Dealer told me at the first service call " it works in Europe"
who cares, can't believe this is a corporate issue and they care not to resolve it.

Told me to use waze instead of the car's Navigation.

That every other car companies navigation traffic overlays work, Dealer told me at the first service call " it works in Europe"
who cares, can't believe this is a corporate issue and they care not to resolve it.

Told me to use waze instead of the car's Navigation.

Is your system on version 51? There is an update available, version 55. And if I recall correctly, someone said this update fixed the issue.

I have vers 5, My service rep told me there is an upgrade coming out soon.

Is your system on version 51? There is an update available, version 55. And if I recall correctly, someone said this update fixed the issue.

Back