2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

We've only had our CX-5 for a couple of weeks or so...

I'm really enjoying our new Mazda so far but in comparing it with the 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagan TDI that I just sold back to VW under the DieselGate emissions scandal I'm finding some the 'amenities' lacking.

Mainly it's small things like indicator lights. The Mazda doesn't even have an indicator to let you know if the fog lights are on. Or the indicator lights to let you know if the doors are locked or not.

I think that VW was more thoughtful with small things such as this. For instance, if you have the windshield wipers on in the VW and you put the car in reverse, the rear window wiper comes on automatically. Or if you've used the rear window washer it gives you a couple of delayed wipes after you shut the wiper off, just to catch the dribbles.

There are more examples but I'm sure you catch my drift. All those small things add up.
You're correct on this! Actually several people, including me, have been complaining the lack of amenities on Mazda CX-5. But some of them, such as front fog light indicator and memory driver's seat, are Mazda's decision not to let US customers having those features but available in other regions. The reason? Save money! To me, it's penny wise、pound foolish decision for Mazda North American Operations and it only hurts CX-5's sales more than the money saved!

I forgot to mention the footwell lighting on the Jetta, I miss that in the CX-5 too.

I wish all of my cars' deficiencies will be as severe as these ...
In other words, I have no issue with Mazda saving money so they could get this otherwise pretty awesome car to me at lower cost.

I wish all of my cars' deficiencies will be as severe as these ...
In other words, I have no issue with Mazda saving money so they could get this otherwise pretty awesome car to me at lower cost.
I think you're missing the point here. Firstly, Mazda CX-5 is not cheaper than other similar equipped compact CUV competitors. Secondly, like others, Mazda could have packaged some Mazda considered as "luxurious" amenities into a " Luxury Package" as optional equipment, especially for those features actually available in other markets! Heck, even Canadians get memory driver seat and power passenger seat on 2016.5 CX-5! To me a power driver's seat without memory feature is a ridiculous marketing decision and this only happens on US version Mazda CX-5!

I ... Heck, even Canadians get memory driver seat and power passenger seat on 2016.5 CX-5! To me a power driver's seat without memory feature is a ridiculous marketing decision and this only happens on US version Mazda CX-5!

If the memory driver's seat is the same as that in the new CX-9, no thank you. I much prefer being able to adjust the tilt and height of the seat bottom, which is not included in the CX-9. It only takes a moment to adjust, but a fixed angle is forever.

If the memory driver's seat is the same as that in the new CX-9, no thank you. I much prefer being able to adjust the tilt and height of the seat bottom, which is not included in the CX-9. It only takes a moment to adjust, but a fixed angle is forever.
No, unlike new 2nd-gen CX-9 which has crappy 6-way power driver's seat although the specs says "8-way", CX-5's power driver's seat is a TRUE 8-way power seat which does have seat bottom tilting capability. When it comes with memory function in other countries, it'll memorize all 8-way adjustments.

Of course you're right, Mazda made another strange decision offering only 6-way power driver's seat on its new 2nd-gen CX-9 which is a downgrade from 1st-gen CX-9 and CX-5! This is another example of penny wise、pound foolish decision made by Mazda, as a 6-way power driver's seat simply doesn't cut it for Mazda's most luxurious and expensive CUV costing more than $45,000 on the top trim!

Heck, even Canadians get memory driver seat and power passenger seat on 2016.5 CX-5!

I believe Canadians pay more for their cars. Which was the 2nd point. My 1st point, is that it is not a big deal for me and that there are other things which are more important.

These decisions are made at the marketing department of the importing head office. The factory will make whatever they want as long as it complies with legislation.

I believe Canadians pay more for their cars. Which was the 2nd point. My 1st point, is that it is not a big deal for me and that there are other things which are more important.
No that's not true! A Canadian 2016.5 Sonic Silver Mazda CX-5 GT AWD with drivers seat memory position、6-way power-adjustable front passenger's seat、all features from US GT Tech Package except Smart City Brake Support、and freight is listed for $36,925 CAD. In US a 2016.5 Sonic Silver Mazda CX-5 GT AWD with Tech Package、and destination is listed for $31,925 USD. At current exchange rate, $36,925 CAD is equivalent to $27,669.98! I'd imagine every US CX-5 owner would feel we got ripped off by paying $4,255 more but getting less features on CX-5! And I haven't mentioned that Canadian CX-5 owners are also enjoying Canadas only Unlimited Mileage Warranty!

You may feel fine with less amenities offered by Mazda North American Operations, but others want more. Mazda can always package those missing features as an optional Luxury Package for certain potential compact CUV buyers who want more amenities! More selections is always easier to attract more buyers hence increases chances getting more sales!

These decisions are made at the marketing department of the importing head office. The factory will make whatever they want as long as it complies with legislation.
Yes, that's why I keep saying Mazda North American Opetations' marketing decision is penny wise、pound foolish!

The wife has been driving the 2016.5 GT since last March.
She says the only imperfection is that the car doesn't include a glove compartment light. (More of an annoyance)

I don't like the fact that navigation doesn't include real-time traffic updates.

Overall, not deal breakers, but annoying nonetheless. If Mazda wants to compete with luxury car brands, they've got to step up their game.

The rear trunk area has poor lighting. Upgraded to an LED bulb and makes a big difference.

I just traded in a 2015 Mazda3 Grand Touring for a 2016.5 CX5 Touring. Love the new SUV, and the Bose stereo, but NO XM RADIO!!!!! Seriously?!

1)No air control dial/wheel for the central dash air vents. This really bugs me.. 2) No 12 Volt port in the front besides the one in the central console storage. 3) Side air vents reflecting on to the side mirrors. 4) No cargo door unlock key on the Key fob. 5) No way to lock glove box. 6) Central console storage under arm rest is one big sink hole.

<2016.5 Touring. >

Last edited:
Rear visibility is terrible especially at night with the "it can't see in the dark" back up camera. Cheaply made interior, seats and center console that shake, brakes warp and wear out too fast. Interior rattles, tin can body parts, rust, suspension creaks, Etc. Hopefully the 2017 redesign will show a step up in Mazda's game. I expected better quality in a $33,000 top of the line vehicle. My sons $22,000 2015 Mazda 3 is built better.

1)No air control dial/wheel for the central dash air vents. This really bugs me.. 2) No 12 Volt port in the front besides the one in the central console storage. 3) Side air vents reflecting on to the side mirrors. 4) No cargo door unlock key on the Key fob. 5) No way to lock glove box. 6) Central console storage under arm rest is one big sink hole.

<2016.5 Touring. >

I'm confused about #4. I usually just walk up to the car and press the tailgate button even when the car is locked, as long as the fob is in range (in my pocket). If I need to unlock it from far away, pressing the unlock key on the fob will unlock the whole car. Are you thinking of a remote button where the tailgate will pop out on its own? That would require a powered/motorized version (which seems to be an option for 2017), but not everyone like it (at least not me).

Rear visibility is terrible especially at night with the "it can't see in the dark" back up camera. Cheaply made interior, seats and center console that shake, brakes warp and wear out too fast. Interior rattles, tin can body parts, rust, suspension creaks, Etc. Hopefully the 2017 redesign will show a step up in Mazda's game. I expected better quality in a $33,000 top of the line vehicle. My sons $22,000 2015 Mazda 3 is built better.

Are you talking about 2016? The back up camera is very decent, at least it's way better than my wife's 2014 Accord in low light. Interior quality is subjective, but many reviews (including me) seem to disagree on "cheaply made" (I think that term belongs to the CR-V).

The dash does rattle a bit for me, but only in 10*F and below, but then again, almost every car I had does in that temperature.

You can adjust the brightness of the backup camera. However, at default settings I think the backup camera works very well at night. I have no issues at all in the dark. I suggest getting some LED reverse lights, that helped out even more.

I do agree, there is an annoying rattle right in the front below all the controls. I guess where the USB plugs are and those side things.

Where are you experiencing rust?

You can adjust the brightness of the backup camera. However, at default settings I think the backup camera works very well at night. I have no issues at all in the dark. I suggest getting some LED reverse lights, that helped out even more.

I do agree, there is an annoying rattle right in the front below all the controls. I guess where the USB plugs are and those side things.

I have a 2014, how do you adjust the brightness?

Back