2016 CX9 questions

CX9ner

:
2013 cx9 GT
Hello CX9 owners

I have owned 2008 CX9 GT and now own 2013 CX9 GT... Looking into potentially getting into 2016/17 CX9. Here are few questions

1. Cargo space , How in the world did we lose 10 cubic ft of cargo when new CX9 is the same dimensions ??? It makes no sense at all specially that we gained 2 inches of wider wheel base what normally gains interior room ???

2. Why no CD player , even as a dealer installed option , say hidden in armrest ???

3. Can anyone confirm if current car has less BTU in the AC comparing to previous body style ? Maybe comparing specs of compressors / evaporators on current and previous gen???

4. Did anyone test acceleration on regular vs premium fuel , 0-60 and quarter mile where HP takes over torque.

5. Did anyone test drove MPG difference on regular vs premium fuel ???

6. Android auto, when is it coming ?

Talking about pros , there are many I do not question any of them .
Overall great vehicle , just need to tweak some issues above

Can anyone help with answers please

Hello CX9 owners

I have owned 2008 CX9 GT and now own 2013 CX9 GT... Looking into potentially getting into 2016/17 CX9. Here are few questions

1. Cargo space , How in the world did we lose 10 cubic ft of cargo when new CX9 is the same dimensions ??? It makes no sense at all specially that we gained 2 inches of wider wheel base what normally gains interior room ???

2. Why no CD player , even as a dealer installed option , say hidden in armrest ???

3. Can anyone confirm if current car has less BTU in the AC comparing to previous body style ? Maybe comparing specs of compressors / evaporators on current and previous gen???

4. Did anyone test acceleration on regular vs premium fuel , 0-60 and quarter mile where HP takes over torque.

Can anyone help with answers please

I read in Edmunds that the rear cargo area has a higher load floor giving it less cargo space than the 2nd or 3rd generations.

I read in Edmunds that the rear cargo area has a higher load floor giving it less cargo space than the 2nd or 3rd generations.

ah, this is a good point, the spare tire is now inside it's own cavity now hidden below the cargo floor, not outside dangling by a cable like the previous generation. but still can't believe that would take up so much to reduce by 10 cubic feet.

ah, this is a good point, the spare tire is now inside it's own cavity now hidden below the cargo floor, not outside dangling by a cable like the previous generation. but still can't believe that would take up so much to reduce by 10 cubic feet.

I would rather have the tire underneath and the extra space. As far as the CD player it has gone the way of the 8-track.

Because now the spare tire is inside the SUV, not out. Better. And there is more space for the 2nd/3rd row.

CD player is 90's technology. Less mechanical parts (cd motor, laser motor, etc) is better. New technology is available (and ready in the cx9: streaming, usb, iphone, mp3 players, bluetooth, etc). I have a 3000 cd collection already in a hard disk drive so is easy to copy lot of music in an usb dongle. Not a real issue. There is no dvd player either like Pilot (Pilot have DVD/Bluray player) but you can use a tablet instead. Most music today is purchased online or via itunes. If you purchase a cd, you can copy content to USB very easy with EAC - Exact Audio Copy or even Windows integrated software

I had the 2011 CX9 V6 and the AC in the old one is "better" compared with the new one. I don't know why. For me, not a problem. Perhaps you need to test yourself if you live in a very hot location.

So far I'm only using regular gas. I really feel more power with the new turbo engine vs the old v6. The first 10 meters you perhaps believe the old v6 is more powerful but after 2000 rpm you will feel a wave of incredible power. Do you know how I know this is more powerful and with better performance? because where I work there is a high climb and with the old v6 when I press the gas pedal to the max, the old transmission needs to drop 1 or 2 gears in order to bring acceleration. With the new turbo engine, you just feel more and more power!

I don't test it. But the new engine have better fuel economy. The last cx9 full of gas have enough for a week (7 days). Now with the new one, I refuel every 10 - 12 days.

No one can tell you this. No one knows. Android Auto or Apple carplay can be added via firmware because the system is powerful enough, but who knows? maybe next year, maybe in 2 years, maybe never we will see this tech in the Cx9. There is hacking videos in youtube where you can mirror your Android to the infotainment system in Mazda 3 and cx5. Perhaps in the future we will have something available for us.

Lot of pros: Hud, turbo, mpg, interior materials, transmission, sport mode, Bose audio, exterior design, suspension, handling, fun...

Can anyone help with answers please[/QUOTE]

1. Have you seen this car in person? Cargo space is really cramped. See this spec compared to 2016 Nissan Rogue. Cargo space w/ 3rd row folded (the way people use most frequently) in CX9 is less than Rogue. AND a Rogue is a compact SUV!!!

all seats up / 3rd row folded / 2nd&3rd rows folded
2016 Rogue: 9.4 / 39.3 / 70.0 cu ft
2016 CX-9 : 14.4 / 38.2 / 71.2 cu ft

6. Android Auto is NOT coming. Mazda never confirmed its coming to CX-9. Simply officially not supported.

1. Have you seen this car in person? Cargo space is really cramped. See this spec compared to 2016 Nissan Rogue. Cargo space w/ 3rd row folded (the way people use most frequently) in CX9 is less than Rogue. AND a Rogue is a compact SUV!!!

all seats up / 3rd row folded / 2nd&3rd rows folded
2016 Rogue: 9.4 / 39.3 / 70.0 cu ft
2016 CX-9 : 14.4 / 38.2 / 71.2 cu ft

6. Android Auto is NOT coming. Mazda never confirmed its coming to CX-9. Simply officially not supported.

I'm sorry my friend but I have the cx9 2016 and my wife have the Nissan Rogue 2015. We have more space by a lot in the cx9 when the 3rd row is down. There is no comparison at all!

In the Mazda we have plenty of room when we travel, in the Nissan would be impossible to put all our baggage, for sure.

I think the loss of total cargo space is a combination of little things adding up to 10 cu ft. It's not just one or two design changes. To me, the oddest part is that almost all the loss is the volume lost when the 2nd row is folded where "max" cargo is measured. Space with 3rd row folded and behind 3rd row didn't change much. It kind of seems like the single biggest contributor is the way the 2nd row is is designed. Maybe they are thicker cushions, perhaps the seats are mounted a little higher, or the folding mechanics aren't as space efficient.

Either way, how often are you really going to need all of this space? I'd rather have the vehicle that drives great and looks great everyday than one that eats the most cargo once in a long while.

36-2016-mazda-cx-9-fd-1.jpg

being an owner i agree with JPL. although the less space is technically "noticeable" visually (we had a 2009 CX-9 so we could compare), practically, it is not noticeable, because all the things we used to carry in old CX-9 also fits in our new CX-9. i rarely packed it too the max.....is it cavernous? No. is it functionally useful? Yes.

I find it amazing that even with the less cargo space as reported, I can fit my $400 worth of groceries with only one 3rd row seat down and without moving my 2nd row seat forward. In my 2013 CX-9 on the other hand, I have to move the 2nd row seat forward, and put both the 3rd row seat down so I can fit everything.

Thank you all for feedback.

Tire inside and lifted floor load sounds like a key to cargo space loss, good real test here would be not Cubic Ft number but Square Inch/Ft area what gives much more usable idea .... Only time when we need all of cargo room we can get is at camping trips where I load it up and than Cubic Ft number can not be cheated :(

CD player should be offered as an accessory and mounted somewhere inside the cabin , I do use USB stick with over 80 CDs in lossless quality so sound quality is not a problem here but loss of convenience , my wife loves to rent CD / audio books from library and sometimes i like to play my music straight from CD without need to burn as I can not burn all 1200 of my CDs Sorry but age of average buyer for CX9 must be in the 40s so most of us own lots of CDs and Mazda should have kept a CD player at least as dealer installed accessory

I would like someone to post dyno of CX9 with 87 vs 93 octanes , also 0-60 number with 23hp more should be better than 7.1secs for AWD ?
I really like to see 0-60 number for FWD GT on on 93 oct... can it be in the mid 6 secs???

AC also needs to be confirmed why we get less BTU or weaker AC setup?
Why would Mazda drop AC output ? No logic in it ?

Mpg on 87 vs 93 octane also is interesting , most of the time in other cats with turbo 93 octane not only gets more HP but better MPG - our 2006 Passat 2.0t would gain 3mpg city and highway on 93 and power was much better....

CD player should be offered as an accessory and mounted somewhere inside the cabin , I do use USB stick with over 80 CDs in lossless quality so sound quality is not a problem here but loss of convenience , my wife loves to rent CD / audio books from library and sometimes i like to play my music straight from CD without need to burn as I can not burn all 1200 of my CDs Sorry but age of average buyer for CX9 must be in the 40s so most of us own lots of CDs and Mazda should have kept a CD player at least as dealer installed accessory

Agreed. Kid/Toddler books frequently come with a CD and now I have to burn each CD into USB stick to entertain my kids.

Also keep in mind that while both generations of the CX-9 are roughly the same size on the exterior, the new one was designed with a longer hood to lend to its Kodo design language which is what sets it apart from the minivan-esque crossover crowd. The front seats have essentially been set rearward. This could be your main answer.

Thanks for good observation , it all comes into play now and I see where the losses come from.
It kinds of opens door to extended cargo "L" trim , say foot longer with extended wheelbase for extra cargo room, vehicle like this would have enough room to compete with Pilots and Minivans of this world , knowing that Mazda has no minivan in it's offer it would easily help to close the gap...

You can buy them each a used Sony Discman on eBay for cheap.:D

And connect a discman to the cx9 via aux audio port.

Again: CD will be removed in future audio systems for all brands. You can copy a cd to mp3 in a current laptop / pc in less than 3 minutes. Core i7 6generation encode a full cd in a minute. 90% of audio repairs in cars are related with CD mechanical parts. They just removed this point of failure.

I would like someone to post dyno of CX9 with 87 vs 93 octanes , also 0-60 number with 23hp more should be better than 7.1secs for AWD ?
I really like to see 0-60 number for FWD GT on on 93 oct... can it be in the mid 6 secs??

I also need to know this. I'm drag racing a Highlander and Pathfinder for pink slips in a few days and this will help me figure out optimal shift points. I can't be the last one to soccer practice anymore.

I also need to know this. I'm drag racing a Highlander and Pathfinder for pink slips in a few days and this will help me figure out optimal shift points. I can't be the last one to soccer practice anymore.

LOL...good one!

Me too! I live my life a quarter mile at a time.

:)

Back