2016 CX9 Owners Thread

I don't get this decision by Mazda regarding the heated wheel. In this case, they built the feature and omitted it from the US customer that wants the feature. There's lots of really cold states during the winter.

It's one thing that it's missing ventilated seats for example. Mazda decided not to engineer them at this time. But when you go out of you way and develop a feature and then omit it from your largest market is a mistake for sure, especially when everyone else does offer it.

They probably will add it in the next year to have a list of new features for it lol.

but yea it sucks it doesnt have heated wheel and vented seats and remote start. wouldnt be surprised if canada has remote start as well. that is super important during the winter months for me.

They probably will add it in the next year to have a list of new features for it lol.

but yea it sucks it doesnt have heated wheel and vented seats and remote start. wouldnt be surprised if canada has remote start as well. that is super important during the winter months for me.

They have remote starting using the Mazda mobile start service. I think they have to improve the app to allow a quicker login process (using fingerprint reader), but other than that it does the job.

Just wanted to let you all know OVTune offers recalibrations of the OEM ECU in the CX9 to help boost torque output and horsepower even further.
We know the engine feels absolutely amazing stock, with peak boost pressure coming in right at 2000 RPM, However during our testing, driving and development we noticed that after about 4000-5000 RPMs the engine simply "feels tired."
Well that is only because of the stock ECU Tune. The ECU simply "dials back" boost pressure quite a bit after 5000 RPM and limits boost pressure from 4000-5000 (mazda is notorious about doing this to limit generated heat, however from the many years we have been tuning the skyactiv engines, we have seen time and time again that the stock ECU tune is too aggressive in reducing power as the amount of additional heat is negligible. For example in the MX5 we have seen consistently 30-40WHP gains with no overall increase in temperatures)
**Note** We do NOT remove or modify any stock SAFETY parameter of the car. All safe maps are still in place and work as OEM, we simply recalibrate the "working maps" (main maps the ECU uses for driving under normal conditions) to bring the engine to it's peak potential.
Our 91 octane recalibration offers:
- steady boost control. No sudden power drop after 5000 RPM. A clean boost taper from Peak boost to rev limit. Peak boost pressure of 26psi (18psi stock) 91 octane only for peak boost.
-Fueling adjustments. Stock fuel requests are extremely rich, simply by cleaning up all of Mazdas wasted fueling (to maintain cylinder temperatures..which is a feature brought by the Naturally aspirated Skyactivs, however the turbo sky doesn't have this same issue with EGTs / Cylinder temps).
- Ignition timing adjustments to clean the power surge and drop off from 2000-4000 RPM.
Camshaft adjustments. These engines utilize full time, "on the fly" camshaft timing adjustments. We recalibrate the VVT for better fuel economy out of boost, more low end torque, and cleaner acceleration.
We understand this is a SUV and not a sports car, which why our tune is dedicated to maximizing power when needed, and maximizing efficiency in low boost or out of boost scenarios where MPG is the main concern.

OVTunes 2.5L Skyactiv Turbo Recalibration on 91 octane expected gains (flywheel)
80-100 ft lbs increase of torque at 2000 RPM with more than 50 ft lbs increase overall.
50-60 Horsepower
www.ovtuned.com

Stock Boost map to show you guys a little bit. We were the first to start develop and tuning on the CX9 2.5L Turbo engine even before the vehicle was released.
There are many, many things about this ECU and engine that are unlike any other skyactiv out there. (data has been converted to PSI)
adon80.png
Can this be linked to the sport mode switch? It would be good to have the choice between this and the normal map.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

That was exactly my thought as well. They've introduced this as a 2016 when it easily could have been called a 2017.Ford and GMC are now selling 2017's for their mid size SUVs already. So I totally agree Mazda just needs to have something to say/add for "2017". My thoughts are the heated steering wheel and height adjustment for the passenger seat. Even though we just ordered our Signature edition last weekend, I was on the fence with deciding if I wanted to wait for 2017. Partially from a depreciation standpoint and partially with the hope of a heated steering wheel and an adjustable drivers seat. Cooled seats would be nice with the leather as well. I left the decision to my wife, its going to be her rig not mine. She was fine with it. You can always find excuses to wait yet another year...but yah some really odd omissions from the Signature model.

Last edited:
That was exactly my thought as well. They've introduced this as a 2016 when it easily could have been called a 2017.Ford and GMC are now selling 2017's for their mid size SUVs already. So I totally agree Mazda just needs to have something to say/add for "2017". My thoughts are the heated steering wheel and height adjustment for the passenger seat. Even though we just ordered our Signature edition last weekend, I was on the fence with deciding if I wanted to wait for 2017. Partially from a depreciation standpoint and partially with the hope of a heated steering wheel and an adjustable drivers seat. Cooled seats would be nice with the leather as well. I left the decision to my wife, its going to be her rig not mine. She was fine with it. You can always find excuses to wait yet another year...but yah some really odd omissions from the Signature model.

The manual has a heated steering wheel page with a drawing of the button right next to the driver's heated seat button. I think a heated steering wheel is a lock for 2017.

They have remote starting using the Mazda mobile start service. I think they have to improve the app to allow a quicker login process (using fingerprint reader), but other than that it does the job.

I know about the mazda mobile start service. it requires a smart phone and an anual fee?!? really? rip off. this is exactly why I think some people are complaining.. JUST LIKE THE CX5 where it has more seat adjustments.. the CX5 can be obtained with a standard keyfob engine remote start and not using no crappy smart phone and having to pay an anual fee.

it's little things that are adding up that makes us potential buyers scratch our head. why does the cx5 have all of that which shuld be on the cx9, but mysteriously no where to be found.

I know about the mazda mobile start service. it requires a smart phone and an anual fee?!? really? rip off. this is exactly why I think some people are complaining.. JUST LIKE THE CX5 where it has more seat adjustments.. the CX5 can be obtained with a standard keyfob engine remote start and not using no crappy smart phone and having to pay an anual fee.

it's little things that are adding up that makes us potential buyers scratch our head. why does the cx5 have all of that which shuld be on the cx9, but mysteriously no where to be found.

Cutting corners/cost cutting obviously. Half-assed semi-luxury crossover.

And the lack of features and miniscule increase in space over CX5. They should have called this a CX-6. Is it smaller than the CX-7? I won't be surprised if it is.

My reaction was wow while looking at the pictures but when I checked it out in person I was like WTF? What they were thinking?

$65 annual fee for smartphone remote start ??

http://blog.caranddriver.com/zoom-zoomstart-mazda-introduces-mobile-app-with-remote-vehicle-features/

call me cheap but seriously, that's ridiculous...
just give me old fashion one key fob for all functions any day,
who wants to take out their smartphone every time to start the car...

every time have to hit phone power button, enter security code to get into phone home screen,
open Mazda app, then start car..... really ?? so much easier with a key fob, just hit one button....and no annual fee

Last edited:
Cutting corners/cost cutting obviously. Half-assed semi-luxury crossover.

And the lack of features and miniscule increase in space over CX5. They should have called this a CX-6. Is it smaller than the CX-7? I won't be surprised if it is.

My reaction was wow while looking at the pictures but when I checked it out in person I was like WTF? What they were thinking?

It does seem as though when Mazda was heading into luxury territory they got all the look and feel (design/materials) right but forgot about features.

We shouldn't over exaggerate when it comes to size and space. It is indeed one of the longest vehicles in its class. Longer than Exployer, Pilot, etc. Because of the great looking proportions (long hood), it doesn't utilize all of that length as well though. It is considerably bigger than the 2 row CX-7.

You also have to remember something when comparing to 2-row compacts such as the CX-5. 3 row CUV's have to store the 3rd row taking up cargo space that the 2 row CUV's don't. So they have lower load floors and aren't too far from the cargo space of a 3-row behind the 2nd row. Just the way it is.

The CX-9 really isn't that bad considering it's dynamic shape. Consider the Highlander as the class benchmark (the vehicle I am shopping against the CX-9). The Mazda has better 3rd row room and comfort (2 real seats). Highlander is wider out back but squeezes 3 half seats with high head rests to lean back on. There is also more cargo behind 3rd row in the Mazda. Yet Highlander is 2nd best selling model.

I would never reflash a Turbo engine and push it to it's limits.
Quoted from another forum:
1. turbo's are an extra component to worry about.
2. turbo's and their respective components are expensive to fix, after the warranty is over
4. turbo's require higher quality oil, and more frequent oil changes to preserve bearings against wear.
5. traffic is horrific in my area, and neighboring city, which requires plenty idle times: which makes it harder for heat dissipation. and we know heat dissipation is key with turbo's.
5. turbo's are finicky, and are not proven to last the life of the engine/transmission (not saying they cant/wont.. just stating that turbo's from many manufacturers are only expected to go roughly 100,000 before serious failure points.)
6. within 10 years, when enough people will be 'burned by expensive turbo repairs, the car will be harder to resell .

many-many great body jetta 1.8T are in junk yards with engines partially dissembled, due to people realizing the repair will total the car. a turbo spins 100,000rpm, and when it goes... fins get ingested into the intake, possibly combustion chamber leading to even more costly engine replacements.

ford came out and publicly stated their eco-boost engine turbo's are only designed for 10yrs/150,000. now we both can say, they obviously took the highest number they could(legally). so its safe to say, 100,000 - 130,000 is what people should expect on an average.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...-ford-focus-st-owners-turbocharged--dire.html

while i agree, some people do get good life-time from their turbo's, and im sure you and your friends took great care of your cars (even if you drove hard) - many people are clueless about cars, engine, maintenance, oil weight numbers, turbo-timers, etc. they drive turbo engine like they drive NA engine and are shocked & mortified to find out 10,000 oil change intervals killed their turbo. you will see; in a few years, people will learn their lessons and start staying away from gas turbo's(unless its a sport model).

That is, of course, one man's opinion. For a turbocharger, it's specific usage and implementation does indeed pose a heavy factor for its longevity or lifespan. Still, it's not unreasonable to expect them to last 150K miles.

There's only so many ways to achieve stringent fuel efficiency standards imposed by government - turbochargers keep power where it needs to be to satisfy consumers, while keeping displacement low. Coupled with additional, complex newer technologies like GDI, CVT 9 or 12 speed transmissions, automakers have had success keeping everybody happy, striking a balance between efficiency, power and drivability.
All of these newer technologies pose a threat to longevity. They'll all need special maintenance and repair we aren't accustomed to. It's no reason not to take a specific model under consideration. Hell, my first car is 15 years old now and I just rolled over 100K miles. How much are you people driving?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hell, my first car is 15 years old now and I just rolled over 100K miles. How much are you people driving?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's common for people to have 100 miles round trip daily commutes.

I've seen couriers who use their own vehicle drive 150,000 miles in ONE year! Sounds impossible but believe me it is. Think many 10 hour days all highway.

It's common for people to have 100 miles round trip daily commutes.

I've seen couriers who use their own vehicle drive 150,000 miles in ONE year! Sounds impossible but believe me it is. Think many 10 hour days all highway.

My daily commute is 103 miles round trip. My Ford Edge was just under 6 years old and I had 145K on it. It was not a turbo and I had to replace the transfer case and the tranny was starting to slip. I'll take my chances with a very skilled Mazda engineering group and their turbo.

209,000 miles on my 2010 CX9 GT... I travel 165 miles per day and....not one problem. Ever!!

It does seem as though when Mazda was heading into luxury territory they got all the look and feel (design/materials) right but forgot about features.

The CX-9 really isn't that bad considering it's dynamic shape. Consider the Highlander as the class benchmark (the vehicle I am shopping against the CX-9). The Mazda has better 3rd row room and comfort (2 real seats). Highlander is wider out back but squeezes 3 half seats with high head rests to lean back on. There is also more cargo behind 3rd row in the Mazda. Yet Highlander is 2nd best selling model.

As a current gen HL (and CX-5) owner I can tell you that the Toyota is a solid vehicle and as much as I love my CX5 and was thinking the CX9 would be wife's HL replacement I think its going to be a tougher call than I thought. Right now I'd probably lean toward the sleek and sexy(er) Mazda (does seem to sacrifice space, 3rd row IMO is a push ie not great, def not for full sized humans.) If you have the luxury of time I think the '17 MY Highlander is going to be tough for even Mazda to beat. New, more powerful and efficient DI V6, new more responsive 8 speeder (current 6 speed is one of its few flaws), new albeit probably slightly better handling via sportier SE trim wedged smartly in between the XLE (ours) and Limited. Resale of the HL will likely be better- my '14 XLE we paid 36 for is still worth 27-28 in trade (so KBB says) which ain't too shabby.. good luck I don't think you'll go wrong either way- just throwing my 2c in as those are my top 2 also.

I was all ready to buy either a Honda Pilot or a Toyota Highlander for my wife. Big Honda fan and owner of a Honda S2000 and an Acura NSX. The Mazda is missing some features c/w those two but the Mazda looks so much better inside and out. The other two are everywhere and just plain by comparison. Resale and reliability are probably slightly better with those two. The styling of the new CX-9 won me over from the Honda/Toyota camp.

Thanks for sharing. I will enable the walk away lock in my cx9 GT.

I really enjoy driving the new cx9. lot of power! It's very nice to hit the pedal and feel the power (the transmission don't drop a gear like the old cx9.). Maybe in sport mode the transmission will drop one.

Regarding MPG, I'm getting bad numbers, but this can be related with the fact I'm continuously testing acceleration in my first weeks. It's lot of pleasure when I feel such a power. Very different compared with my old cx9.

Regarding the AC, no issues so far, but is not hot now here.

One think I missing is the coin compartment, there is none now.

And the trunk height is very low, I hit my head every single day. I would like to see if we can adjust the trunk to a higher possition.

Space in the interior (driver seat) is smaller compared with the old one. I notice the doors now are wider, like in my old volvo. Lot of security and isolation. I don't have a problem.

I'm at the dealership and yes, you can adjust the trunk height if it's too low for you, You have to manually adjust it by pushing the lid up by hand to the height you want, then hold the request button until you hear two beeps and you're set, the trunk lid will open to the setting you set manually.

Obviously, vice versa if you want it intentionally low height and not hit garage ceiling,

This should be in the owners manual, but I'm not sure, I haven't bought the new cx9 yet.

Sidenote: in the sun, honestly the machine grey is not much different than the old meteor grey,

Last edited:
Back