2016 CX5 better "driving machine" over 2017

Nothing wrong with either car. If they were both the same money it would have been a very tough call!

Around here the CR-V's were running about 1000 to 2000 more than a CX-5 and to me the CX-5 FELT better driving even tho on paper the CR-V was better. There really is nothing wrong with a CR-V and we were back and forth deciding but $$$ pushed it to CX-5 and interior quality and noise as well. When the toddlers get older I will get my fun car back.... (previously owned a FD3S, a Soarer, and a B5 S4 Stg 2+ and AutoX'd all of them!)

Damn right! I've got a baby girl who will be 1 on Saturday, so I'm cutting back on the "fun" stuff for now. Like stated, garage clean out starts this weekend. I'm gonna keep the karts for now, and then build something soon, hopefully...who knows, I do plan to get my little one racing at age 3, so we shall see...

Yep, and if you will note, that was who was abrasive to me, and I gave it right back. I am not at ALL claiming I am not/was not, but I am saying...told you so.

On another note, the 2017 CR-V is a much better performance machine than the CX-5, so the Mazda fans will now need to revise their "but zoom zoom..." chant and focus more on the other ways the CX-5 beats the CRV, such as "I am loyal to Mazda" "I hate turbos...but the CX9 is okay..." and "CVT's are bad, because the little "jerks" my 6-speed gives hides the fact that my vehicle is much slower..." , "it has too much chrome...but the grill and window-trim on the '17 CX5 is cool by me!", "Fuelly is my source of real world data when I talk about CX5's under-performance in many cases on the forum, but it's probably wrong just this once about the CR-V" and other such gems.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/cr-v/2017/2017-honda-cr-v-touring-awd-first-test-review/

My stance? "I am hoping my CX-5 continues to be reliable, it is plenty functional, and I have no desire to incur financial loss by trading it at this time." Basically...what/why I bought it initially. Function/cost/why not?

It's also kindof an easter-egg that it trounces all over the 2017 from a performance perspective, and you can bet that a 140# weight gain is NOT what has cost it this much performance. It did hurt some , I am sure, but it is not what cost it a full half-second to 60. Something else is afoot.
http://www.060calculator.com/

OK so as someone coming from a non-Japanese vehicle, to a CX-5: I tried them all out, and liked the CX-5 best. I'm not a performance driver (in fact, 10 years in the hybrid developed granny driving habits), and there are zero times when I would floor it to see how fast I can hit 60mph or a quarter mile (those kinds of things get you arrested, ya know?). I like the interior cabin feel best, I like how it feels when driving best. I liked the advanced features which were available best. So... CX-5 won for me.

Not a brand loyalist at all, either, so this was a from-scratch opinion. Y'all are too hung up on the opinions of JUST long-time Mazda folks. Quit casting aside those of us who are new to the brand, and consider that us coming from the outside can find value just the same (without laying out our entire alphabet soup history of previously owned vehicles). (rolleyes)

Nothing wrong with either car. If they were both the same money it would have been a very tough call!

Around here the CR-V's were running about 1000 to 2000 more than a CX-5 and to me the CX-5 FELT better driving even tho on paper the CR-V was better. There really is nothing wrong with a CR-V and we were back and forth deciding but $$$ pushed it to CX-5 and interior quality and noise as well. When the toddlers get older I will get my fun car back.... (previously owned a FD3S, a Soarer, and a B5 S4 Stg 2+ and AutoX'd all of them!)

I bought to skew debt/income ratios to buy a house and land. Previously had a 2011 Z06, 2012 370Z, 2001 WS.6, and others.

OK so as someone coming from a non-Japanese vehicle, to a CX-5: I tried them all out, and liked the CX-5 best. I'm not a performance driver (in fact, 10 years in the hybrid developed granny driving habits), and there are zero times when I would floor it to see how fast I can hit 60mph or a quarter mile (those kinds of things get you arrested, ya know?). I like the interior cabin feel best, I like how it feels when driving best. I liked the advanced features which were available best. So... CX-5 won for me.

Not a brand loyalist at all, either, so this was a from-scratch opinion. Y'all are too hung up on the opinions of JUST long-time Mazda folks. Quit casting aside those of us who are new to the brand, and consider that us coming from the outside can find value just the same (without laying out our entire alphabet soup history of previously owned vehicles). (rolleyes)

What made you choose to buy a CUV

I can tell you my girl chose it because she said "she was tired of being the smallest car on the road and not seeing everything" because she came from a little 2 door coupe. I leaned to a more "4 door sports car", but she closed that door, quickly...

I had a small SUV before (an Escape hybrid). When I bought it, I has only driven pickups before, but wanted a hybrid for the tax credits available at the time (it nullified my husband's income taxes for the year, when we bought it). Then found out we were expecting within months after getting it, so the superior space available vs pickups for baby kicked in. Now with an almost 9-year-old, I prefer the CUV size for space when our whole family goes somewhere. Hubby still has a truck (dual-cab Tacoma) which can be used for moving around big s***. I severely dislike riding in cars - always sat higher in pickups and in the Escape before my CX-5, so... CUV is the right vehicle for me. Probably will be for a long time, since I refuse to buy a car/wagon/coupe/sedan/anything lower to the ground and don't need a full-on SUV sized vehicle. Baby factory is closed!

I bought to skew debt/income ratios to buy a house and land. Previously had a 2011 Z06, 2012 370Z, 2001 WS.6, and others.

Yeah good plan!
I was looking at some houses just for giggles (bought our first house 2 years ago) and man we could get quite a bigger house for just a little less than the car payments! We will be back to 1 car payment in 1.5 years so that helps.

Can't wait for wife to finish her school loans...

Yeah good plan!
I was looking at some houses just for giggles (bought our first house 2 years ago) and man we could get quite a bigger house for just a little less than the car payments! We will be back to 1 car payment in 1.5 years so that helps.

Can't wait for wife to finish her school loans...

I may buy land/house in a rural area off a dirt road, so I wanted the AWD and the clearance, as well as the fact it snows here. Further, I wanted something reliable so I do not have surprises as a new home-owner, adding more to the budget unexpectedly. Along with the rural deal, I may buy within a 1 hour radius of where I work, so the 4 cylinder and 87 octane made sense. I went with a CUV because I wanted to be able to haul guns/gear/tents/whatever whereever I chose to go for training, camping, hunting, whatever.

I lucked out by going to a cheap college, and having a great scholarship, working a very flexible job, and having a Dad that loaned me some cash, regarding student loans. I've never owned multiple cars that weren't paid off, so only 1 car note.

ugh... if i didn't have any student loans, i'd be driving either a F-Pace S, X5M, or SQ5 :(

ugh... if i didn't have any student loans, i'd be driving either a F-Pace S, X5M, or SQ5 :(

Yea, the student loan bubble is for real. It sucks, and it's sad to see. It limits most from buying houses and feeding the economy even more. When I first got outta college, I could've bought a starter home for the amount they wanted me to pay monthly. And like a lot, I'd be better off with a few houses than this damn expensive education, but a luxury car would suffice too I guess... :)

I want to budget for up to $240k or so for land/house, so that limits me somewhat, at least initially.

Same, next purchase will hopefully be a rural piece of land to hunt and small farm. Probably will put a small trailer or thereabouts on it just to secure a different loan and possible tenant for a set of eyes and a helping hand...

Same, next purchase will hopefully be a rural piece of land to hunt and small farm. Probably will put a small trailer or thereabouts on it just to secure a different loan and possible tenant for a set of eyes and a helping hand...

I had 34.78 acres that I sold, because I wanted a different locale, but I looked into building, and honestly, I am going to just buy something with a house already on it, so I can do it ALL on a 30y fixed with so much less headache. My criteria includes a minimum of 200 yard rifle range, and rural enough not to disturb anyone with it, basically. House can be anything, as long as it's SOLID, well-made, and at least 1400sf and will last until I die without any major upkeep issues. Looking for 15-50 acres.

Sure, I could buy a Viper and a little $125K house on a postage-stamp lot in town that was nice, but you know what? As I lay in bed during the day and listen to the neighbor's whelps bouncing a basketball incessantly, the loud stereo randomly driving by, etc. that Viper would not ONE BIT console me or help me sleep or make life better. I played that game before, and it's a very short-lived paradise. I want to be in the middle of nowhere. Where the people aren't. I deal with people enough during the 3 days I work to last me ALLLL the rest of the week.

Last edited:
Some of my wife's colleagues are paying over $1600 in student loans...
I worked while she went for her OD degree so all she had to pay was tuition, no living expense.
It was $24k per year on tuition only so our total loan was about $80k since we footed a little bit of tuition. Most of her classmates had to borrow for food and rent as well so double of what we borrowed.

Some of my wife's colleagues are paying over $1600 in student loans...
I worked while she went for her OD degree so all she had to pay was tuition, no living expense.
It was $24k per year on tuition only so our total loan was about $80k since we footed a little bit of tuition. Most of her classmates had to borrow for food and rent as well so double of what we borrowed.

HOLY CRAP! What degree does she HAVE?! I have a bachelor's. It cost me nothing for the first 2.5 years (scholarship due to ACT/SAT and highschool GPA) except for books, and then for the last 5 semesters, $2k (average) per semester + $500 in books. My income has ranged from 65 to 96K/year gross, since graduating. When I quite my job to focus more on school toward the end, my Dad stepped up and helped with tuition. I paid him $5K back, and he considered the rest as a gift. I split rent with a roommate and so on, but my Dad did me a solid, won't lie!

Cost...benefit. Do the analysis before you do the work.

Last edited:
I was not impressed with the 2017 when I saw it and sat in it in person. It felt like everything I hated about the competition when I bought my 2014 CX-5 back in 2013.

Is it the better family hauler or whatever? Sure. But it got away from what felt Kodo and Mazda to me.

Edit: No degree. $93k. Yay IT?

I was not impressed with the 2017 when I saw it and sat in it in person. It felt like everything I hated about the competition when I bought my 2014 CX-5 back in 2013.

Is it the better family hauler or whatever? Sure. But it got away from what felt Kodo and Mazda to me.

Edit: No degree. $93k. Yay IT?

IT is so fickle man. My Stepdad has done IT for forever (20+ years), and got all the cert. from what was it, Norton and all of that? I don't remember, it wasn't my thing, but he has never done well for himself or my Mom. Absolute crap as far as a job goes, looking only at HIM. Is IT one of those things where you just have to luck into the right niche, and then it's awesome, or does my Stepdad just suck at life?

ETA, just saw you live in Denver. Your $93k is like $75k where I lived and now live. Still, that's a ton better than my stepfather manages for sure! At least, based on all the evidence at hand...

Yep, and if you will note, that was who was abrasive to me, and I gave it right back. I am not at ALL claiming I am not/was not, but I am saying...told you so.

On another note, the 2017 CR-V is a much better performance machine than the CX-5, so the Mazda fans will now need to revise their "but zoom zoom..." chant and focus more on the other ways the CX-5 beats the CRV, such as "I am loyal to Mazda" "I hate turbos...but the CX9 is okay..." and "CVT's are bad, because the little "jerks" my 6-speed gives hides the fact that my vehicle is much slower..." , "it has too much chrome...but the grill and window-trim on the '17 CX5 is cool by me!", "Fuelly is my source of real world data when I talk about CX5's under-performance in many cases on the forum, but it's probably wrong just this once about the CR-V" and other such gems.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/cr-v/2017/2017-honda-cr-v-touring-awd-first-test-review/

My stance? "I am hoping my CX-5 continues to be reliable, it is plenty functional, and I have no desire to incur financial loss by trading it at this time." Basically...what/why I bought it initially. Function/cost/why not?

It's also kindof an easter-egg that it trounces all over the 2017 from a performance perspective, and you can bet that a 140# weight gain is NOT what has cost it this much performance. It did hurt some , I am sure, but it is not what cost it a full half-second to 60. Something else is afoot.
http://www.060calculator.com/

What are you ranting about? Sorry I don't quite get what you're trying to convey sometimes. What's your beef? (spin)

IT is so fickle man. My Stepdad has done IT for forever (20+ years), and got all the cert. from what was it, Norton and all of that? I don't remember, it wasn't my thing, but he has never done well for himself or my Mom. Absolute crap as far as a job goes, looking only at HIM. Is IT one of those things where you just have to luck into the right niche, and then it's awesome, or does my Stepdad just suck at life?

ETA, just saw you live in Denver. Your $93k is like $75k where I lived and now live. Still, that's a ton better than my stepfather manages for sure! At least, based on all the evidence at hand...

Sometimes. IT is where you can come from anywhere, have a degree in under water basket weaving, or not have a degree at all and get into. The problem is IT is so broad in terms of job type that one branch of IT work is completely different from another. Networking helps, and meeting the right people can help.

Also I did a lot of selling myself for jobs I technically had no experience in and they took a gamble and it worked out well.

I didn't get payed as well when I did some highly technical IT work as an engineer. Now I am in the process side of IT and get payed much better and don't have to work weekends and nights anymore lol.

So yeah, there is some luck there for sure.

Doctor in Optometry.
She's at $100 + bonus (about 6% or so) + 6% 401k with 0% from her + 100% match up to 2% 401k (First job out of school, been working 3 years so far)

Her friends make more at retail (about $120 base + about 10-15% bonus) but work like MAD!

As for IT with no degree I think you have to be lucky. I know a few with IT degrees making nowhere near that and a good bud of mine with no degree makes over $100 with no degree in IT (but he is very good at it, had to work his way up). I guess you can call it luck, skill, and work ethic combination.

Back