2016 CX-9 Soft Cargo Liner (Picts/Comments)

TX_Driver

:
2016 CX-9 GT
I got the soft cargo liner (part 0000-8K-N09) for my CX-9. Paid $130 from dealer. Thought I would post some picts and comments because I there is not a lot of good info on the web on what this thing actually is. Here goes....

The box is smaller than I expected:
2uzp928.jpg
b6re9s.jpg

It is made by CoverKing:
bm102.jpg

The mat is not padded. It is flexible and made of the same material as the fabric 'folder' which holds your CX-9 User manual, warranty etc.:
4v4sau.jpg

The initial step is to put the liner around the removable cargo-floor which covers the spare tire. It is a VERY tight fit:
sy8pl5.jpg

The mat then slides over the shoulders of the 3rd row seats:
2iapw82.jpg

If planning to have 2nd row seats down, then you remove the 2nd row headrests and slide the mat on to the headrest posts through grommets in the fabric:
1z6uqs0.jpg
(Getting the headrests off is easy if you first tilt the seat forward. I had a hard time getting one post of one of the headrests back on, but had no problem with the other posts. With enough jiggling, the problem post got seated OK).

The mat has a fold-out piece of fabric which protects the rear paint while loading. The mat does not cover everything: Here are the 'exposed' areas.
zl80n5.jpg

BTW, I did not Velcro the liner in place yet. Also, the installation manual refers to 'plastic clips' to attach the mat to the 2nd row seats. There were no clips on the mat and none in the box. I suspect that this design uses Velcro rather than clips, but will have to call Mazda to be sure.

Last edited:
Do you think you'd buy it again? I was looking at it because it's not unusual for me to pick up a load of flowers and mulch. It looks like water and dirt could drip between the seats.

It looks like water and dirt could drip between the seats.

If don't need protection for the backs of the 2nd row, then I think you would be happier with the Cargo Tray (0000-8B-N10). It is made with heavy duty rubber and has sides to prevent spills from leaking over the edge. The Tray, however, is not available yet. I believe Mazda's Tray may be made by WeatherTech.

Looks like WeatherTech now has the 2016 CX-9 rubber cargo liner in stock http://www.weathertech.com/mazda/2016/cx-9/cargo-liner/

I emailed Weathertech for a picture of it since their website currently only shows a "representational image" and they sent me the picture that you see below. This is what they wrote: We have not updated the website yet to include an actual representation of the CX-9 Cargo Liner since it is still very new. The cargo liner is custom fit and designed specific to the new CX-9. It is designed to cover from the tailgate up to the 3rd row seat edge when the 3rd row seats are down. If you were to raise one seat, you could flip the liner over the other seat and out of your way. The cargo liner is flexible which allows you to roll it up and store it behind the seats when they are up. I ordered it today; when I get it I will update this post with more pictures and details.

WT_CX9_CL_zpse1ogpqcp.jpg

Last edited:
Nice.
I may order, but currently pleased with the Mazda soft cargo liner.

I'm STILL awaiting the floor liners ... would have ordered the Mazda all-weather mats but as of yesterday even they aren't yet available.

BTW, the splash guards ARE available ... ordered yesterday and should receive them today.

I emailed Weathertech for a picture of it since their website currently only shows a "representational image" (see below). This is what they wrote: We have not updated the website yet to include an actual representation of the CX-9 Cargo Liner since it is still very new. The cargo liner is custom fit and designed specific to the new CX-9. It is designed to cover from the tailgate up to the 3rd row seat edge when the 3rd row seats are down. If you were to raise one seat, you could flip the liner over the other seat and out of your way. The cargo liner is flexible which allows you to roll it up and store it behind the seats when they are up. I ordered it today; when I get it I will update this post with more pictures and details.

WT_CX9_CL_zpse1ogpqcp.jpg

I had one of these for my old Pilot, and I regretted it every time I had to put the 3rd row of seats up. I love the 5 piece cargo tray from the 1st gen.

I had one of these for my old Pilot, and I regretted it every time I had to put the 3rd row of seats up. I love the 5 piece cargo tray from the 1st gen.

Agreed, had the same thing on my old car, useful only for trips to Home Depot or garden center, but as soon as I needed the third row, the full size one piece cargo liner took up so much room when rolled up and dirt and soil all over the place.

BTW, the splash guards ARE available ... ordered yesterday and should receive them today.
I just received the rear splash guards today and installed them. I have the front splash guards too, but I was running out of daylight and so will do them tomorrow. For both front and rear, you have to notch the fender liner. The front notches are minimal and easy; for the rear the cut lines are molded on the back side of the liner and more difficult to do. I used a single-blade razor blade, but side cutters ("nibbers" in the instructions) would probably work as well or better. Notches are needed to install clip-on nuts.
CX9_Rear_Mud_Flap_zpsg2cverb1.jpg

Fronts are now installed. I wish I had received them first because they come with small packets of IPA (isopropyl alchol) and 3M Adhesion Promoter that are used to help the double-side tape on the deflector plates and splash guard to stick better to the vehicle. Since the rear splash guards also have a small piece of double-sided tape on them, I could have used the IPA and adhesion promoter for a better rear installation. Also, the instructions say to remove a pull rivet from the fender trim, but there is just an open hole there; fortunately the pull rivet is supplied with the splash guards.
CX9_Front_Mud_Guard_zpsabnptgyh.jpg

Last edited:
I just received the rear splash guards today and installed them. I have the front splash guards too, but I was running out of daylight and so will do them tomorrow. For both front and rear, you have to notch the fender liner (the cut lines are molded on the back side of the liner) and install some clip-on nuts; both are a bit of pain to do but worth it.
CX9_Rear_Mud_Flap_zpsg2cverb1.jpg

Nice. How does it look compared to no splash guards?

Received mine yesterday afternoon.
Installed both front and rear but ran out of daylight for pics afterward.

Instructions are very clear, but the top-rear U-nut clip is a bit of a pain to insert.
Bottom clip and both U-nut clips for the front splash guards are easy.

IMO, well worth the $ and time to install.

Nice. How does it look compared to no splash guards?

The CX-9 probably looks better without them if you compared two vehicles side-by-side, but they are fairly small and not that noticeable. My only reason for getting them was to hopefully keep the vehicle a little cleaner and maybe save the paint from getting scratched from rocks and dirt being thrown up.

The CX-9 probably looks better without them if you compared two vehicles side-by-side, but they are fairly small and not that noticeable. My only reason for getting them was to hopefully keep the vehicle a little cleaner and maybe save the paint from getting scratched from rocks and dirt being thrown up.

Thanks racerscott. I'm debatting if I'll add the splashguards or not. For now, I have no problem with mud and everything even with my 22 inch tires on it. It was not like my other 2013 CX-9 that whenever I use it during ugly weather, the splash goes as far the side mirrors.

I emailed WeatherTech for a picture of it since their website currently only shows a "representational image" and they sent me the picture that you see below. This is what they wrote: We have not updated the website yet to include an actual representation of the CX-9 Cargo Liner since it is still very new. The cargo liner is custom fit and designed specific to the new CX-9. It is designed to cover from the tailgate up to the 3rd row seat edge when the 3rd row seats are down. If you were to raise one seat, you could flip the liner over the other seat and out of your way. The cargo liner is flexible which allows you to roll it up and store it behind the seats when they are up. I ordered it today; when I get it I will update this post with more pictures and details.

The WeatherTech Cargo Floor Liner arrived today; see pics below. "Option B" is easier to do than "Option A", but either way works depending on what else you need to put on the liner.
CX9_WT_Cargo_Liner_zpsyj5vmgu7.jpg

Cross-post from another thread:

Finally ... WeatherTech front and rear floor liners are available as of this morning!

Already ordered my set ... $179.90 + $18.00 shipping for a total of $197.90.

If interested in the cargo liner as well, adding it provides free shipping.

The WeatherTech Cargo Floor Liner arrived today; see pics below. "Option B" is easier to do than "Option A", but either way works depending on what else you need to put on the liner.
CX9_WT_Cargo_Liner_zpsyj5vmgu7.jpg

I feel like you could put some neodymium magnets on both the cover and the third row seat to make the cover sit upright and have the trunk still usable in Option B.

Back