2016 CX-5 Navigation Questions

heiber

:
CX-5
Just bought a 2016 CX-5 Touring. Did not buy the navigation option yet and have a couple of questions:
- The only thing you are purchasing is the SD card with the map info and to activate it, correct?
- What is the dealer price? I can't find anything online
- Is it possible to get it after market for cheaper?

Thank you.

I don't think there are any choice but OEM. Look into your center cubby to see if
there is a slot for the SD card. If there is, that's probably all you need. Once the
SD card is inserted and a certain amount of miles are traveled ( I think 64?)
the card marries the ECM. Do not buy a used card as it wouldn't work.
Not sure on the stand alone price though mine was included with the tech pkg.

If you have the mazda connect 7" screen, you are correct that you only need the SD card. There should be an SD slot next to the usb and aux ports in the console. The cards are starting to appear on ebay for discount. I think you can grab one for $200-$350 depending on the source. Whoever you buy one from other than the dealer, make sure they will guaranty it as I have seen lots of stories of people buying them for mazda 3's (virtually the same system) and having them be already locked to another car. You will need NAVTEQ maps. I would call your dealer to find the exact part number for the card then start shopping.

This one supposedly is for ours: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

With some time I'm sure they will start to appear in the $150 range without all the books and stuff. I suspect you could use the card from a mazda 3 as well but I haven't verified that and mazda 3s DO have a different firmware version. I'm on 51 something they are on 33.

In the 2016 CX-5 gt nav system, how can I change the voice from female, to male? Have not seen any indication anywhere, here, or in the manual, how to make a change? Any 16' owners have an answer? TIA

In the 2016 CX-5 gt nav system, how can I change the voice from female, to male? Have not seen any indication anywhere, here, or in the manual, how to make a change? Any 16' owners have an answer? TIA

I could find no way to do it. And, Mazda Connect customer service doesn't answer their email contacts. Although perhaps faster and easier to use (and bigger display) than my 2013 system, I feel the new 2016 system for navigation is inferior. No room for personalization and no live traffic. Definitely a let down in what's supposed to be a better system.

I totally agree !! I owned a 2013 CX-5 before with the NB1 Navigation system : It was much better than this one ...And People were all complaining about it ..So imagine how disappointed I am now :'(

I could find no way to do it. And, Mazda Connect customer service doesn't answer their email contacts. Although perhaps faster and easier to use (and bigger display) than my 2013 system, I feel the new 2016 system for navigation is inferior. No room for personalization and no live traffic. Definitely a let down in what's supposed to be a better system.

I had read or heard, that Mazda will be updating the Connect system, since its being used on Mazda 6 and 3 plus the CX-5, hopefully some of the 'add' features will be a few of the features that were on the NB1.

Last edited:

Checked thru the Connect settings today, and found live traffic check marked in my unit..i also turned on speed cameras alerts while i was browsing. It has tons of restaurants, gas stations, and other things you can select. Did not see any way of changing the nav.voice -which i find strange tom-tom has it and so does Magellan GPS units, hopefully it will be forth cumming soon?

One of Mazda web pages states their email is 'not working' ...they suggested calling their toll free number instead.

Checked thru the Connect settings today, and found live traffic check marked in my unit..i also turned on speed cameras alerts while i was browsing. It has tons of restaurants, gas stations, and other things you can select. Did not see any way of changing the nav.voice -which i find strange tom-tom has it and so does Magellan GPS units, hopefully it will be forth cumming soon?

One of Mazda web pages states their email is 'not working' ...they suggested calling their toll free number instead.

My live traffic is checked too, but it doesn't work... Just wait until you're in a traffic jam.

Live traffic is only working with an Wi-Fi connection. This can be by a phones internet connection.

Back