2016 CX-5 Infotainment - WIFI access?

scottjk

:
Mazda CX-5 2016
Just picked up our 2016 CX-5. I understand that previous versions of the infotainment system allowed for WIFI access ultimately gaining root access to change the annoying "liability" settings of the navigation system.

I do not have WIFI under Settings>Devices... only bluetooth.

Anyone know how to gain root access to these newer systems?

Thanks

Scott

So if this can be done to the newer connect systems, is there no options on the older system on the CX-5s?

On the european CX-5 models Wifi is present in the menu. After enabling it, no networks shows up (even if there are a bunch of networks in the area in addition to mine).

Since nothing shows up, I tried entering the settings manually, but it just times out after trying to connect for a long while. I tried this with both my home network and using the personal hotspot feature on my iPhone. Just to make sure it was not a signal issue I also brought my laptop with me to the car to verify I still had internet access from that.

Anyone have any advice?

The only way i've got it to work so far is to enable hotspot on the phone, then start the electrics on your car. But enable the hotspot with security off.

The car should detect it, and then connect to it. You can then re-enable security, re-activate the hotspot and again the car should detect it. It's been hit and miss for me though, as i can't get the car to connect to the phone 1st time with security on.

It's probably picking up the phone 50% of times. What phone are you using BTW? I'm using an HTC M7 running stock Android 5.02. I'm going to try my Samsung S5 Mini and my other halfs Samsung Galaxy S3 to see if they work any better.

Thanks for the response. I've been using an iPhone 5S, not sure if I can run the hotspot on that without security. I have an LG Nexus 5 with Android 4.4.2 lying around too, I will give that a go and see if it works.

Edit:
Tried with the Nexus, set up a hotspot with no password. Couldn't connect, but at one point I could see the network name appear in the list, so that's some progress (even if tiny).

Last edited:
On other thing, it seemed to work best for me when the phone was on the back seats. I don't know where the wifi antenna is in the car, but you'd think it'd be in/near the head unit.

If the 2 other phones don't work i'll go back to the dealer, but as wifi appears to be a European (possibly Austrailia) feature i suspect reports will be few and far between. Might be why Mazda turned it off for NA.

Putting the phone one the back seat does seem to get a better signal, still not able to connect though.

A few things I picked up from another forum:

- Using channel 11 for the Wifi hotspot seems to have help at least some users get a stable connection, unfortunately I can't find a setting for this on my Android device
- Holding Music + Fav + Mute down for a while shows the diagnostic menu
- From the diagnostics menu you can hold "DEL" for 15 seconds to enable JCI test scripts
- (Warning! I haven't tried this myself! Do so at your own risk) Selecting 11 shows you another menu giving acces to "Speed toggle" and "LVS Speed Toggle" which should be the ones you need to run to disable the touch screen restriction.

Somewhat reluctant to be the guinea pig on this since no SSH connection means it will be harder to fix things if I screw up.

channel 11 is unfortunately mandatory to make the wifi works ..It's a bug :( Some users even have bought a hotspot for their car because both Android and IOS do not allow to customize wifi Channel .Windows Phone seem to use by default channel 11 and rooted Android , with dedicated apps, can change the channel fot tethering.

Putting the phone one the back seat does seem to get a better signal, still not able to connect though.

A few things I picked up from another forum:

- Using channel 11 for the Wifi hotspot seems to have help at least some users get a stable connection, unfortunately I can't find a setting for this on my Android device
- Holding Music + Fav + Mute down for a while shows the diagnostic menu
- From the diagnostics menu you can hold "DEL" for 15 seconds to enable JCI test scripts
- (Warning! I haven't tried this myself! Do so at your own risk) Selecting 11 shows you another menu giving acces to "Speed toggle" and "LVS Speed Toggle" which should be the ones you need to run to disable the touch screen restriction.

Somewhat reluctant to be the guinea pig on this since no SSH connection means it will be harder to fix things if I screw up.

Has anyone tried this for the "Speed toggle" and "LVS Speed Toggle"?

Well, curiosity got the better of me tonight and I just pressed LVS toggle button... Displayed message that low vehicle speed display is disabled...took drive around block and touch screen worked for all app functions...weird though, none of the app option settings (like check boxes) were allowed, just functional controls including radio controls. I don't have GPS so cannot report on this, but you should feel confiden5 you won't brick your headset with this one adjustment, and no hacking required.

Would be nice to find out what all of the other goodies are in that menu, but my bravery ends for tonight with a small measure of success.

Well, curiosity got the better of me tonight and I just pressed LVS toggle button... Displayed message that low vehicle speed display is disabled...took drive around block and touch screen worked for all app functions...weird though, none of the app option settings (like check boxes) were allowed, just functional controls including radio controls. I don't have GPS so cannot report on this, but you should feel confiden5 you won't brick your headset with this one adjustment, and no hacking required.

Would be nice to find out what all of the other goodies are in that menu, but my bravery ends for tonight with a small measure of success.
... looked like some networking toggles, but those, for me, are for another day...
Has anyone tried this for the "Speed toggle" and "LVS Speed Toggle"?

Just wanted to bump this, see if anyone has had any success. I can get the nag screens and background via scripts, but no luck enabling wifi yet.

Back