2016.5 Stock Tire Slow Leak- No Nails/Screws

Mammoth

:
Mazda CX-5
I have a slow leak in my stock tires with no visible damage to the tire. Took it into a tire shop and they didnt think anything was wrong, but Ive had to put air in once or twice a week. Set up an appointment with the dealer, but has this happened with anyone else? Only have 16k miles on the tires.

Last service appointment, I mentioned that Ive had the low pressure sensor go off a lot and the technician said oh, thats great! Means its working. Fill it and sent me on my way, sensor went off again a couple days later.

Check if the valve stem "core" (the little valve assembly with the push pin that is screwed inside the valve stem) is tight.A few weeks ago I had one tire that set the light off at 20 psi.That valve core was definitely loose.The other 3 tires were ok but the cores still needed to be snugged down more. Jmaz

Spit on your finger and wipe it on the valve stem before you do anything else.
If it bubbles, replace the core.

Were the tires replaced?

It's either a leaking valve stem, bad bead seal, or you've had a pinhole puncture.

Any decent tire shop worth it's weight in rubber should be able to help you.

Tires were never replaced and still in good condition, Ill check the valve stem when I have time. Thanks for the replies, fingers crossed its the valve stem and new tires wont be needed.

Try getting some soap/water mix and a paint brush and putting it all over the valve stem. Next try the tire bead where the tire meets the rim. Next jack up the tire and put a large pan under the tire and fill it with a soap mix and roll the tire through it. You can paint the sidewalls with the mix. If you put the entire tire in a lake or pond the leak will have to show up...

It is likely the stem or alloy wheel out of shape.
Submerge your tire in water fully and see where the bubble shows up.

If you are anywhere they use road salt, the leak could also be at the bead. Salt and Aluminum don't go well as small pits will form around the entire tire bead causing a slow leak.

Best to take it to a tire shop and have them unmount the tire, clean the bead and reinstall with bead sealer and a new valve stem.

I had a pin hole leak in my sidewall in one of my Yoko tires at about 16k miles. Was the darnedest thing. Has no scrapes or anything. Just a slow leak.

I had a pin hole leak in my sidewall in one of my Yoko tires at about 16k miles. Was the darnedest thing. Has no scrapes or anything. Just a slow leak.
How did you figure out where the pin hole leak was? Was it fixable?

How did you figure out where the pin hole leak was? Was it fixable?

Submerse the tire in a big tub of water a little at a time and look for air bubbles. We had an old tub that we used to give our dog baths in a long time ago. Sidewall leaks aren't repairable.

Submerse the tire in a big tub of water a little at a time and look for air bubbles. We had an old tub that we used to give our dog baths in a long time ago. Sidewall leaks aren't repairable.
Since the tire has only 16K miles, Id apply some black silicon seal on the pin hole, and keep up the air once a week until the tread has 4/32 left or Im getting tired of checking the tire pressure once a week.

I may also contact Yokohama for warranty replacement as this type of leak on sidewall should be caused by manufacturing defect.

Take the tire off the vehicle and air it up to 60 or more pounds air pressure. Put some soapy water in a squeeze bottle go go all over the tire until you find the leak. The max tire pressure on the side of the tire is for driving only so not to be concerned. ed

It was this. The dealer put it in water and said there was nothing wrong, told them to keep trying because air is coming from somewhere. Had to remind them Ive been filling the tire every week. Finally found the smallest hole in the world and patched it. Hopefully problem solved.

NEVER ...NEVER.... NEVER.... USE SILICONE ON A TIRE TO FIX A LEAK ion a side wall for that matter really any place on a tire.

Pin hole damage can be caused from the simplest things in nature...a sticker from a dried shrub!

Side walls of a tire should NOT be repaired but replaced. The highest level of stress on a tire is the sidewall. Most attempted repairs may cause cataclysmic tire failure.

NEVER ...NEVER.... NEVER.... USE SILICONE ON A TIRE TO FIX A LEAK ion a side wall for that matter really any place on a tire.

Pin hole damage can be caused from the simplest things in nature...a sticker from a dried shrub!

Side walls of a tire should NOT be repaired but replaced. The highest level of stress on a tire is the sidewall. Most attempted repairs may cause cataclysmic tire failure.

YES! NEVER!

I cannot believe that it would be even suggested. (confused)

never ...never.... Never.... Use silicone on a tire to fix a leak ion a side wall for that matter really any place on a tire.

Side walls of a tire should not be repaired but replaced. The highest level of stress on a tire is the sidewall. Most attempted repairs may cause cataclysmic tire failure.

Exactly. I doubt silicone would even hold pressure under all the flexing

It was this. The dealer put it in water and said there was nothing wrong, told them to keep trying because air is coming from somewhere. Had to remind them I*ve been filling the tire every week. Finally found *the smallest hole in the world* and patched it. Hopefully problem solved.

I'm assuming this smallest hole in the world wasn't sidewall related?

I'm assuming this smallest hole in the world wasn't sidewall related?

I didnt ask specifically but the bill says in a reparable spot which sounds like it. I saw the sidewall convo here after I had picked it up. It was a Mazda dealer so hopefully theyd know better, but I should probably call and confirm.

Where's the damn like button. Sidewall or shoulder repairs are not worth the risk.

OP If you were at the dealer if they had any reason to say you would need a new tire they would've told you. I'm sure you're OK. Hope it proves a permanent fix.

Back