2016.5 GT CD Playing Problem

Rich 65

:
2009 6 GT, 2014 CX-5 GT
Odd problem (3 day old car). When I insert a CD it says "reading (or something like that)" but CD does not appear on the menu so it cannot be played. Everything else seems to work fine. Any advice? Waiting foe dealer to call me back. FYI - 3 different store bought music CD's tried.

Last edited:
Odd problem. When I insert a CD it says "reading (or something like that" but CD does not appear on the menu so it cannot be played. Everything else seems to work fine. Any advice? Waiting foe dealer to call me back. FYI - 3 different store bought music CD's tried.

so "CD" is grey out under the music sources menu ?

have you tried pressing the voice command button

and say "CD"

see if it that works.

Last edited:
Odd problem (3 day old car). When I insert a CD it says "reading (or something like that)" but CD does not appear on the menu so it cannot be played. Everything else seems to work fine. Any advice? Waiting foe dealer to call me back. FYI - 3 different store bought music CD's tried.

So is this the first CD that you have ever tried playing? Which direction are you inserting them?

Since the infotainment system does try to read, and you'd tried 3 original CDs, I actually feel that your CD optical pick-up head is the culprit. Unfortunately the only way to fix it is to replace the entire head unit. :(

@ mazdadude - yup first time. Label up, shiny side down. As mentioned, it starts to "read" the CD but then nothing happens and no CD appearance on the display. Will try voice command tonight as suggested by tomcat1446.

@yrwei52 - I hope not. I don't want the knuckle daggers at the dealership messing around inside the car!

@ mazdadude - yup first time. Label up, shiny side down. As mentioned, it starts to "read" the CD but then nothing happens and no CD appearance on the display. Will try voice command tonight as suggested by tomcat1446.
Bummer... well that rules out all the easy stuff...(chair)

Luckily it really is not a big deal for the tech to swap out. Really easy 5 min swap.

Last edited:
so "CD" is grey out under the music sources menu ?
Just had a chance tried my haven't-used-for-a-while old CDs and the infotainment system switched to CD playing automatically. The CD on the audio sources was grayed out before I inserted the CD. I definitely believe OP's CD player has problems reading the CD and needs to be replaced.

Latest posts

Back