2014 Mazda6 Touring Purchase - First Impressions

jtrimm

:
2014 Mazda 6 Touring, Liquid Silver
I just traded in my 2007 Audi A3 for my first Mazda ever, a 2014 Mazda 6 Touring (Liquid Silver) with the automatic. It has no options beyond what comes in the Touring package. I paid $24,100 for it, plus a very fair value for my trade in.

Some initial impressions after a few days and 155 miles:

-Styling: Obviously I'm a big fan as I just bought one. That said, every single colleague at my workplace that has seen it has made unsolicited comments on how good the car looks. Those that have been inside the car also were impressed with the interior. All were shocked when I told them what I paid for it. Most figured it was a $30k+ vehicle.

-Base vs. Touring: As an aside -- I was looking at both the base and Touring trim and test drove both trim levels. IMHO, the interior of the Touring takes a big step up in classiness/luxuriousness compared to the base model. The pleather seats are very nice, very supportive, and do much to provide a higher luxury feel to the interior of the vehicle. The dual-zone climate control is a feature I value, particularly the ability to set a temperature and forget. Having back-seat vents will likely also be appreciated by the kids. :) The blind spot detection was nothing I was particularly interested in, but after living with it for a few days, I actually like it. The lights on the mirrors are unobtrusive and non-distracting when you are not actively looking at them, and the system works well. I actually find it useful when merging and having to change lanes coming off a highway off-ramp where I live... I'll often know there is a car there in the lane I'm trying to merge to, but the system is nice in helping determine when it's all-clear to change lanes (and 6 lanes of traffic are converging at speed into a 2 EZ-Pass lanes). Anyway, it's not a must-have feature, but I will say, I like it now that I have it. 19" wheels were also not a must-have. That said, I test drove both the base and Touring and couldn't detect much of a penalty comfort-wise (I was concerned 19" would be too harsh). Comfort has been fine, and improves as both tires/suspension break in. The look of the 19" is badass. In hard cornering, the 19" have a very slight edge in feel/stability, but the 17" give up little, if anything.

-Engine: Super smooth, with good torque/hp. I haven't floored it as I don't want to abuse it until 500 miles, so I can't comment on wide-open-throttle response yet. It doesn't compare to the unbelievable 1850rpm peak-torque curve of the 2.0T in my A3, but I don't find it wanting in day-to-day driving. It has plenty of pick-up, and the transmission makes the most of the power that is there.

-Transmission: I absolutely LOVE the auto transmission. I've driven stick since '88, and had multiple cars with stick (pause for a moment as I remember my beloved Ford Contour SVT, taken away prematurely by another vehicle running a stop sign at 40mph), multiple automatics, and even a DSG in the A3 I just traded in. The automatic in the '14 Mazda 6 is the best I've driven, beating even the DSG in shift speed and smoothness. In manual shift mode, downshifts are instantaneous and perfectly rev-matched, much like the DSG in the A3 (I've been to Grand Prix racing school at Bob Bondurant and learned heel-toe from the best.. DSG's are cheating, but undeniably effective). Upshifts in manual mode are surprisingly laggy (Audi DSG was better in this regard). I struggle to understand why upshifts are so laggy... That said, most of the time I leave in automatic mode, where it is very effective. It is very responsive in downshifting when needed in auto mode. In terms of low-speed smoothness-- the torque converter for 1st gear is BRILLIANT. The Audi DSG is sometimes herky-jerky, and even would produce disconcerting lags at initial-start (worst lags would be making a fast turn from a standstill from a side road). The Mazda transmission produces none of these ill effects. Starts from a standstill are very smooth and direct. There is also no herki-jerkiness in stop-and-go driving. They really nailed it with this transmission.

-Handling: Tight handling, decent road feel. Corners very well and stays flat even in hard, fast, 90-degree turns. The handling is why I bought this car. Just as impressive is it's feel at 85mph on the highway-- very rock-solid and Germanic. It's hard to quantify, other than its feel at fast highway speeds makes me smile. :)

-Fuel Economy: This was a major consideration, combined with handling, styling, responsiveness, and price point. The Skyactiv program is legit. In my commute home, with a completely un-broken-in car with < 100 miles on it, I got 33mpg with 85% highway at ~75mph. In more heavy city-driving mix, it's been in upper 20's. I've been resetting my avg-mileage computer fairly often to see what comes up in city vs. highway driving. That said, I'm still on my first tank of gas with only 155 miles and 3 days on it, so I don't have much comprehensive to say regarding MPG other than it looks fairly promising so far.

-Reliability: It's my first Mazda, so I'm hoping for the best. I traded in the Audi because as wonderful as their 2.0T engine is, mine burned oil like a '92 Hyundai. Countless other 2.0T drivers have the same problem. Seeing Mazda #2 after Toyota in quality for all car manufacturers is a big plus in my book.

In summary, GREAT car so far. I think it's a tremendous value at its price point, and its styling makes it look more expensive than it is. A few years driving will confirm/deny, but I think it already close to being my favorite car ever. Again, what makes it so compelling is how damn good it is for a $24k 4-door sedan. It's tremendously good at that price... All of the reviews coming in on the auto blogs/magazines has been generally glowing, which, in addition to styling, is what got me in the showroom. The test drive is what made me sign the check.

Great write-up, and thanks. Reliability? I've owned 12 mazda's, and I'll be in a 2014 Mazda6 in about a year. No major issues ever yet, build quality always rock solid. Gotta get through my daughters wedding later this year, then evaluate the finances, then sell my 2006 Mazda3...then the 6!!

Welcome and congratulations on the purchase! I really appreciated your thorough review of the car within its first 200 miles and I hope to read more. Having owned a 2006 Mazda 6i Sport 5MT as my first new car, I've been keeping tabs on the 6 ever since because that first car was really, really special. The second generation just flew by quite silently (2009-2013) because it was apparent Mazda went in the wrong direction with it, but the current-gen 6 is EXACTLY where Mazda should be right now. With the new CX-5, the slightly-facelifted and Skyactiv-powered 3, and now the new 6, Mazda seriously has a stellar lineup and I wouldn't be surprised if I end up seeing many more on the road. Who can argue with excellent driving dynamics, low weight, and excellent fuel economy? Not everyone wants a hybrid brick.

Thank you for the read!! still waiting for a White Pearl Touring to be available so that I can go snatch it up.

Could not agree more woth your assesment, as my wife was able to test drive the GT Model at Daytona at the Rolex 24. The car handled flawlessly on track at high speeds on the banking as well as the horse shoe, Once the diesel version hits the US, we will be purchasing the new 6.

Let's see some pics of the beauty. I have to agree with you with everything that you've listed. I love the handling of the car the most. Also, that's a very nice price. Is that out the door/drive out price? Crazy low of it is.

Good review. Can't wait for my first impression when I get mine this weekend.

Update after 550 miles... No issues so far. MPG in mixed driving has been around 27mpg. In pure highway, I've seen 33-34mpg. Honestly I drive at 75, 80, 85mph when I can, so I imagine if I kept it at 65-70mph, numbers might be better. Of course, I'll only drive that slow if 5-0/traffic forces me to or gas goes to $6/gallon. :) Also, there is some painful bumper-to-bumper traffic in those numbers above. I'm only at 550 miles, which is far from broken in-- we'll see how gas mileage shapes up after 3000 miles or so. Psychologically, getting that 30mpg combined is an important milestone, and yes I'd ideally like to get that without having to drive crawling in the right lane. Here's hoping the Skyactiv platform lets me have my cake and eat it too... 3mpg to go.

Transmission/engine has been great. Acceleration under WOT is decent, but won't pin you to the seat like a V-6 or turbo 4. At ~$3.70/gallon, trading power for economy, while still retaining sporty handling is a tradeoff I'm wanting to make (this is my daily driver). At $2.00-$2.50 gallon, give me the V-6 or turbo-4 with power well north of 250hp. At $3.50-4.00+/gallon, I start to make different choices. Again, in the day-to-day driving I spend 98% of my time in, acceleration is quite good and not wanting. Also, I'm noting that in automatic mode, the transmission is getting smarter about downshifting and holding gears as I drive it more, which helps with making most of the 4-cylinder's power.

Reinforcing my earlier feedback about highway speeds-- the car feels like a bank vault cruising at 85mph... rock-solid and planted.

I've done some high-speed 90 turns in manual shift mode, and downshifts are spot-on and extremely fast, with perfect engine rev-matching (one turn fast enough to warrant 4-5k rpms 3rd-to-2nd downshift). Also, in 550 miles, I've found the transmission is truly flawless when creeping in bumper-to-bumper traffic (which unfortunately is sometimes a part of my daily commute). Hard starts from a standstill are also flawless and smooth. VW/Audi's DSG does a decent job of this, but will get grabby in bumper-to-bumper, and sometimes has unnerving hesitation during hard starts from standstill. The combination of dsg + 1st-gear torque converter in the Mazda transmission is spectacular. If you are a gear-head of any sort, you have to appreciate what a great, even game-changing, design this is.

Also, one change that is positive and noteworthy in reporting... the tires/suspension have been doing some breaking in of their own. Starting around 500 miles or so, the ride is definitely becoming more comfortable. You still have great road feel and handling, but the ride is smoother and road imperfections are soaked up better. It's a shame for those doing test drives, as I like the ride/balance even more now than when I first test drove the car. Folks doing a test drive on a new car with little/no miles are getting a harsher ride than how it ends up after 500 miles or so. My Touring model has the 19" wheels on it. YMMV, but that has been my experience to date re: comfort.

I've become a big fan of the lane departure system, also includes side sensors when backing up. When backing out of my driveway, I've stopped at the end of the driveway waiting for cars to pass. When backing up, it detects moving cars coming at you from the side for quite a distance (estimate 30-40 feet or so?). It's also nice to have when backing out of spots in parking lots with two SUV's on each side and zero visibility...

For folks asking about the price I paid... the $24,100 is before tax. Which again brings me to the same takeaway I had below... For the $24,100 price I paid, this car is ridiculously good. It is a pleasure to start and drive each day, and it is a remarkable overachiever at it's price point. Styling is subjective, but after 3 weeks, I can say that everyone who has seen or sat in it, has made glowing comments about it's styling, many of those comments coming from colleagues driving Audi/Infiniti/BMW's costing $10k-$20k more. The 19" wheels look great on the car, especially from 3/4 rear view. It looks and drives way above it's price point. IMHO, the new Fusion is the only car in this segment that matches it in terms of styling desirability and eliciting an emotional response. The styling on this car would not look out of place on a $40k car.

So, 3 weeks in on my first Mazda ownership experience ever, and as you may surmise, still 2 thumbs up. I'll give a holler around 3000-4000 miles on how mpg has (hopefully) improved.

I just traded in my 2007 Audi A3 for my first Mazda ever, a 2014 Mazda 6 Touring (Liquid Silver) with the automatic. It has no options beyond what comes in the Touring package. I paid $24,100 for it, plus a very fair value for my trade in.

Some initial impressions after a few days and 155 miles:

-Styling: Obviously I'm a big fan as I just bought one. That said, every single colleague at my workplace that has seen it has made unsolicited comments on how good the car looks. Those that have been inside the car also were impressed with the interior. All were shocked when I told them what I paid for it. Most figured it was a $30k+ vehicle.

-Base vs. Touring: As an aside -- I was looking at both the base and Touring trim and test drove both trim levels. IMHO, the interior of the Touring takes a big step up in classiness/luxuriousness compared to the base model. The pleather seats are very nice, very supportive, and do much to provide a higher luxury feel to the interior of the vehicle. The dual-zone climate control is a feature I value, particularly the ability to set a temperature and forget. Having back-seat vents will likely also be appreciated by the kids. :) The blind spot detection was nothing I was particularly interested in, but after living with it for a few days, I actually like it. The lights on the mirrors are unobtrusive and non-distracting when you are not actively looking at them, and the system works well. I actually find it useful when merging and having to change lanes coming off a highway off-ramp where I live... I'll often know there is a car there in the lane I'm trying to merge to, but the system is nice in helping determine when it's all-clear to change lanes (and 6 lanes of traffic are converging at speed into a 2 EZ-Pass lanes). Anyway, it's not a must-have feature, but I will say, I like it now that I have it. 19" wheels were also not a must-have. That said, I test drove both the base and Touring and couldn't detect much of a penalty comfort-wise (I was concerned 19" would be too harsh). Comfort has been fine, and improves as both tires/suspension break in. The look of the 19" is badass. In hard cornering, the 19" have a very slight edge in feel/stability, but the 17" give up little, if anything.

-Engine: Super smooth, with good torque/hp. I haven't floored it as I don't want to abuse it until 500 miles, so I can't comment on wide-open-throttle response yet. It doesn't compare to the unbelievable 1850rpm peak-torque curve of the 2.0T in my A3, but I don't find it wanting in day-to-day driving. It has plenty of pick-up, and the transmission makes the most of the power that is there.

-Transmission: I absolutely LOVE the auto transmission. I've driven stick since '88, and had multiple cars with stick (pause for a moment as I remember my beloved Ford Contour SVT, taken away prematurely by another vehicle running a stop sign at 40mph), multiple automatics, and even a DSG in the A3 I just traded in. The automatic in the '14 Mazda 6 is the best I've driven, beating even the DSG in shift speed and smoothness. In manual shift mode, downshifts are instantaneous and perfectly rev-matched, much like the DSG in the A3 (I've been to Grand Prix racing school at Bob Bondurant and learned heel-toe from the best.. DSG's are cheating, but undeniably effective). Upshifts in manual mode are surprisingly laggy (Audi DSG was better in this regard). I struggle to understand why upshifts are so laggy... That said, most of the time I leave in automatic mode, where it is very effective. It is very responsive in downshifting when needed in auto mode. In terms of low-speed smoothness-- the torque converter for 1st gear is BRILLIANT. The Audi DSG is sometimes herky-jerky, and even would produce disconcerting lags at initial-start (worst lags would be making a fast turn from a standstill from a side road). The Mazda transmission produces none of these ill effects. Starts from a standstill are very smooth and direct. There is also no herki-jerkiness in stop-and-go driving. They really nailed it with this transmission.

-Handling: Tight handling, decent road feel. Corners very well and stays flat even in hard, fast, 90-degree turns. The handling is why I bought this car. Just as impressive is it's feel at 85mph on the highway-- very rock-solid and Germanic. It's hard to quantify, other than its feel at fast highway speeds makes me smile. :)

-Fuel Economy: This was a major consideration, combined with handling, styling, responsiveness, and price point. The Skyactiv program is legit. In my commute home, with a completely un-broken-in car with < 100 miles on it, I got 33mpg with 85% highway at ~75mph. In more heavy city-driving mix, it's been in upper 20's. I've been resetting my avg-mileage computer fairly often to see what comes up in city vs. highway driving. That said, I'm still on my first tank of gas with only 155 miles and 3 days on it, so I don't have much comprehensive to say regarding MPG other than it looks fairly promising so far.

-Reliability: It's my first Mazda, so I'm hoping for the best. I traded in the Audi because as wonderful as their 2.0T engine is, mine burned oil like a '92 Hyundai. Countless other 2.0T drivers have the same problem. Seeing Mazda #2 after Toyota in quality for all car manufacturers is a big plus in my book.

In summary, GREAT car so far. I think it's a tremendous value at its price point, and its styling makes it look more expensive than it is. A few years driving will confirm/deny, but I think it already close to being my favorite car ever. Again, what makes it so compelling is how damn good it is for a $24k 4-door sedan. It's tremendously good at that price... All of the reviews coming in on the auto blogs/magazines has been generally glowing, which, in addition to styling, is what got me in the showroom. The test drive is what made me sign the check.

Last edited:
I just traded in my 2010 A4 for the exact same reason. My engine needed about a quart every month and this is after they applied the first set of fixes. I can't understand how they can put a brand new engine out there like that.

Anyway, how has your transition been? I still miss a few features of my Audi, mostly the sound system and navi but I'm over it. The one thing that I'm still trying to get used to is the size of the vehicle. I know the A3 is slightly smaller than the A4 and the Mazda 6 is larger than both. Can you feel the size difference between your new 6 and the A3?

Last edited:
They still have the oil burning in 2010? Amazing... My A3 was an '07, and the problems started in'06, which means in at least 5 years they've done nothing to address it... The oil burning was getting worse and I was out of warranty, so it was time to get out while I still had good resale. Consumer Reports just released their updated list of most reliable mfgrs-- Mazda is #2 after Lexus now, which is remarkable. I'm optimistic this will translate into a rock-solid, reliable car that holds up over years without issues.

Re: comparison, A3 is a much smaller car, with better power/weight, so there is some nimbleness and accelleration given up going to the 6. That said, the handling is still excellent in the 6. I used to autocross a lot and even took a 3 day Grand Prix road racing course at Bob Bondurant Racing School in Phoenix, so I'm comfortable driving even my daily drivers at the edge of adhesion at alarming speeds when in the mood. :) In the past week (wanted to break engine in some first) I've put the Mazda 6 in corners and off-ramps I know well, and not only does it equal the speeds I could do with the A3, it feels more stable at the limits. The A3 would get a bit squirmy and unsettled at the edge of adhesion. The 6 has high limits and is stable and predictable at those limits (I switched off stability control at the time to reduce electronic nanny). I am really impressed with 6 in hard cornering and transitions. You can throw it into 90 degree turns at surprising speeds with little lean or drama at the limits of the car. You can tell it has been tuned on a road course by people who know how to drive.

Now that said, the 6 is a bigger car, and the laws of physics are inviolate. The hp is 185, so the acceleration is fine but not great. The manual is wonderful, and the auto transmission downshifts inredibly fast in manual shift mode, and with 6 speeds its easy to always keep the revs high if you want to thrash it.

That said, 99% of the time I drive along in traffic with everyone else. :). In normal cruising the road feel, handling, and high speed stability are excellent. I feel I've given up some speed vs. the old car but little in handling department. Interior room is excellent, and the kids are appreciative of that (likely more so as they grow into Tweens and teenagers). Trunk space is also huge compared to the old car.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. The '14's sure look great. Too bad they are no longer making the 6 five door. I have an '07 Mazda 6 five door with 120K. It's really handy. I will have to replace it at some point. I currently have an auto only because the wife won't drive a stick. Since she rarely drives my car anyway, I would like to go back to a stick with my next vehicle. Seems to be a pretty big price jump to the Grand Touring. It's hard to justify the extra cost. The local dealer can add heated seats pretty inexpensively so the Touring would work for me but I can't decide between the 6 & CX-5. I read somewhere that Mazda will make the CX-5 touring available in a manual later this year. Not sure if that's even true and whether or not that would include the 6 Touring. Manuals are a dying breed.

Good luck with your 6. I look forward to further reviews.

Back