2014 Mazda6 Diesel Discussion

It is killing me, waiting on release/launch date. Price as well...

A fully loaded diesel powered 2014 MZ6 ought to fetch a pretty high price. Anybody want to speculate?
I'd guess close to $35K.

IMO the premium on the diesel fuel and the premium on the diesel powertrain are going to cost way more than the actual savings from the high fuel economy.

I'd rather get a gasoline powered Mazda6 wagon.

I'd figure about a $2,000 premium over the 2.5 gasser. I'm thinking for the U.S. market, the diesel will probably be automatic-only. I can't wait for the Passat TDI/Mazda 6 Skyactiv-D comparison tests! I have a feeling the Mazda will blow the VW into the weeds.

It is killing me, waiting on release/launch date. Price as well...

A fully loaded diesel powered 2014 MZ6 ought to fetch a pretty high price. Anybody want to speculate?
I'd guess close to $35K.

I believe it's already being sold in other markets, perhaps someone can give us the prices, such as euros, and we can convert?

That would be a big downer if the diesel was auto only. I would still consider it, but the Fusion/Maxima/Gas 6 would get some more consideration as well. All I want is diesel/ manual/ leather/soul red....everything else isn't a huge deal and can live without.

On the Mazda UK site, it's a 1,980 premium for the high output diesel (25,495 MSRP) and 1,480 for the low output diesel (24,995 MSRP) over the 2.0L gas motor on the top-trim Mazda 6 (23,515) MSRP, all manual transmission variants. However, the 2.5L gasoline engine we're getting here for the base model isn't mentioned whatsoever on the UK site, so I don't believe it's going to be offered there, so the comparison could be starting at a relatively lower price point.

I wasn't able to see prices for the 2014 6 on the Mazda Germany or Mazda France sites because my computer at work has outdated flash that I can't update, and I don't know enough of any other language to muddle through the other EU or Japanese home market websites.

On the Mazda Austraila site, looking at mid-level trim it's a Aus$2,937 premium for the Diesel Touring (Aus$44,485) over the Petrol Touring (Aus$41,548), price premium is about equivalent on the other trim levels, about a 6.6% bump in price

If the proportional increase to price is the same as in Australia, we'd be looking at a $1620 option compared to the 6 Touring's base price of $24,495. Of course we all know that prices vary greatly between different markets to begin with, and none of us know exactly what Mazda's plans are for how to amortize the costs of bringing this engine to our market... but if I were a gambling man, I'd bet on it being a $1800-2000 premium over the equivalent 2.5L gas engine on either Touring or Grand Touring trims.

IMO the premium on the diesel fuel and the premium on the diesel powertrain are going to cost way more than the actual savings from the high fuel economy.

I'd rather get a gasoline powered Mazda6 wagon.

There is also the performance benefit of diesel, which is why I would buy one. The fact that it also consumes less fuel just makes it a no-brainier at that point.

There is also the performance benefit of diesel, which is why I would buy one. The fact that it also consumes less fuel just makes it a no-brainier at that point.

That's the selling point for me... When I went to the local Mazda/VW/etc dealer and first test drove a CX-5 about 6 months ago, I loved the vehicle and the experience, but found it to be a tad under-powered. Drove TDI VW afterwards, unintentionally chirped the tires pulling out of the lot... the torrents torque made the highway portion of the test drive an effortless joy. Hated that car, but -loved- the engine experience.

MAzda247 Thread

Just a straight conversion biased off of today's exchange rate this is what I came up with. I also assumed Antoine listed these in the order of the add.

My guess on price would be starting in the upper $20,000 range and maybe making all the way up to the upper $40,000 range.

XD: 2.2L Diesel Turbo i-stop 2WD (6-Speed Auto): 2,900,000 Japanese Yen = $35,219.92

XD: 2.2L Diesel Turbo i-stop 2WD (6-Speed Manual): 3,026,000 Japanese Yen = $36,732.31

XD L Package (fully loaded): 2.2L Diesel Turbo i-stop 2WD (6-Speed Auto): 3,400,000 Japanese Yen = $41,292.32

My guess on price would be starting in the upper $20,000 range and maybe making all the way up to the upper $40,000 range.

The straight conversions are spot on, but the relative cost of vehicles in Japan tends to be significantly higher than in the states. The lowest priced model in that ad with the 2.0L Skyactiv, which would presumably be priced lower than the 2.5L, is the equivalent of $30,361;whereas a base sport with a 2.5L has an MSRP of under $21k here.

My bet is on starting points between $27k-$27.5k for Touring and $32k-$32.5k for Grand Touring once they launch... with fully checked option boxes putting it at or a bit above the $35k that IHeartGroceries suggested.

35k seems somewhat high when a fully loaded Passat TDI goes for 33k. I would think that Mazda would want to price their diesel under VW's or at least very similar to the Passat especially since they are the new player in the Diesel game.

35k seems somewhat high when a fully loaded Passat TDI goes for 33k. I would think that Mazda would want to price their diesel under VW's or at least very similar to the Passat especially since they are the new player in the Diesel game.

Agreed... and they likely will be priced at or just about the same, it would be things like the GT Tech or other options packages that could push the 6's cost higher. VW doesn't really do much with options, they bake those differences into the various trim levels offered (7 different trims of the 2.5L Passat for instance). Plus it looks like the Mazda6 2.5L is a already hair more expensive than the Passat 2.5L across most of their model ranges when equivalently optioned.

Agreed... and they likely will be priced at or just about the same, it would be things like the GT Tech or other options packages that could push the 6's cost higher. VW doesn't really do much with options, they bake those differences into the various trim levels offered (7 different trims of the 2.5L Passat for instance). Plus it looks like the Mazda6 2.5L is a already hair more expensive than the Passat 2.5L across most of their model ranges when equivalently optioned.

In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE9KDCnnhR8, they were saying $2-3 grand over a base sport model. Looking forward to its arrival!

Hi everyone.

First, I'm new to this forum but from the little bit of browsing I've done here it looks very good. I'm interested in a '14 M6, particularly with the twin turbo diesel when it arrives in the U.S. I'd like to pass on a couple thoughts based on my experience with diesels as I've had one or another continuously since 1986.

I currently have a 2003 VW Jetta TDI with about 214K, have owned since new. What I like about Mazda's upcoming diesel is the lack of exhaust treatment, that item being what will keep me away from anyone else's current diesel. In watching Mazda's brief video regarding their diesel engine, they mention that EGR will be used to compensate for the low compression ratio for fast engine heating.

I don't know exactly how their plumbing will work but on my TDI the exhaust gas recirculation system dumped it into the intake manifold--think soot. Along with that, the TDI ran the CCV system, fine oil mist, into the intake as well. The combination of EGR soot and CCV fine oil mist made for a slow carbon clogging problem in the intake manifold. Running the engine at low RPMs (<2,000) aggravated the problem by creating more soot due to less complete burning. At around 65K miles the intake was sufficiently clogged to make full throttle acceleration very poor--like a gasoline engine misfiring. With all the torque available, both my wife and I had been upshifting around 1500 RPM.

To get good fuel/air mixing in the cylinders for cleaner burning, higher velocity intake air (more boost/higher RPMs) is required. Keeping the engine over 2K RPMs was part of the solution, but to be safe, I installed a ProVent CCV filter in the CCV line from the valve cover to the intake manifold. At around 200K miles, I removed the EGR system entirely when I pulled the intake manifold again for an inspection.

It's possible that Mazda's system will burn clean enough so as not to produce soot and clog the intake with it via EGR. I'd think that would be the case, since particulates are being severely limited by EPA rules now. I won't have a diesel with a particulate filter or urea system, so that leaves only Mazda.

I believe the Mazda doesn't have as many filters as VW's diesels or other German diesels, but it still has a DPF.

Click the "Clean Diesel" link in the center bottom of this webpage. They stress no exhaust treatment. I'd appreciate any info you can provide regarding this engine, too. I love compression ignition, gassers just don't do it for me, but our (U.S.) government isn't at all diesel friendly. Do you think Canada will get this engine before the U.S.?

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=M6G

Has anybody seen performance numbers on the 2.2 diesel. I read a review from the UK and it said the 0-62 mph was around 8 seconds. That doesn't make it much different than the 2.5L. I've seen other comments that suggested that the diesel would be more like a 6 cylinder but if the UK review is accurate, that doesn't seem to be the case. It is "quicker" and better on gas but is that enough to justify the extra (expected) cost?

Turbo Diesel power is very different from what you experience in a naturally aspirated gasoline engine. It's all about torque. For example, I have an '03 Jetta TDI that's rated at 90 HP and an '08 Accord (4-cyl) rated at 190 HP. Their torque ratings are just about identical. Acceleration that requires RPMs and a downshift or two on the Accord is accomplished by the Jetta with just a nudge on the accelerator. Yes, the Accord will do 0-60 a little quicker, but for normal driving around the Jetta does it with considerably less rowing. Driving the Jetta, you'd never guess at its horsepower rating because the torque is there from 1500 RPM onward. To get the Accord to haul, you need RPMs, lots of them. It's an altogether different drive.

Back