2014 Mazda5 Sport: Say Hello To Tom's Hardware's Project Car

fanbanlo

:
Mazda 5
Link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mazda5-technology-project,3795.html

XjJQFMs.jpg

Awesome. I love everything they have planned for it. I want to see someone install a set of speakers in the sliding doors, and Tom's would be good to do it. My second row passengers often can't hear any music on trips because the far back is loaded with cargo, blocking the speakers. Installing another set in the middle row would be ideal.

That's my car actually :).

Getting Alpine Type R components and coaxials coming in for the car. Already got the KTP-445U and FDR-50 for it. Going to install and run RTA measurements to show the differences and such.

That's my car actually :).

Getting Alpine Type R components and coaxials coming in for the car. Already got the KTP-445U and FDR-50 for it. Going to install and run RTA measurements to show the differences and such.
That's cool, I thought you were writing for another publication?

I'm interested to know why did you pick LED over factory OE HID? Less challenging? :)

That's cool, I thought you were writing for another publication?

I'm interested to know why did you pick LED over factory OE HID? Less challenging? :)

Totally forgot to reply to this. I only write for Tom's Hardware for automotive. I have a day job as a copywriter for ZOTAC (PC components manufacturer).

You can't get OE HID with the 6-speed. I chose the 6-speed over the minor niceties on the higher trim models. Ended up swapping the LEDs out for H9s with wiring harness adapters so I wouldn't have to mod them every time. Been happy with it so far.

didn't read the article, just watched the pics quickly(thanks to a busy day at work) and it looks like a really nice project car !
looking for some time to read it all and it may inspire some new projects on mine

thanks tuanies for the article and OP for sharing

@tuanies,

How did you find the image quality using the wireless transmitter and receiver for the backup camera? Also did you look at any rear mirror displays? I'd like to add the backup camera option to my 2012 5 but read the wireless affects the image quality due to interference while the mirror can have contrast issues.

I have a little bit of interference - just scanlines here and there. It doesn't bug me enough to bother running the cable quite yet. I can see what's behind me and that's good enough for the most part.

I looked into the mirrors, but I wanted one that was a direct fit with homelink and autodimming, those cost $500 or so. So I stuck with using the nav screen.

Nice update! I am planning to do a similar install with the ScangaugeE. I'm retrofitting the OEM fog lights with some Nokya 2500K bulbs, and I am going to install some Morimoto HID's.

I wanted to add that the brightest 35 watt HIDs made by morimoto are actually less bright than the LED bulbs you installed (3200 lumens vs 3100 lumens), so you may want to reconsider :)

I still need to get the OE foglight kit, but I'm not fond of the price. The LEDs had higher output on paper, but in actual use, the beam pattern was horrible. The Morimoto's would be more useful due to the light pattern whereas the LEDs had an LED on each side, 180-degrees apart. There is no direct front firing LEDs on them, which made peripheral lighting terrible. The H9s are pretty good though.

I still need to get the OE foglight kit, but I'm not fond of the price. The LEDs had higher output on paper, but in actual use, the beam pattern was horrible. The Morimoto's would be more useful due to the light pattern whereas the LEDs had an LED on each side, 180-degrees apart. There is no direct front firing LEDs on them, which made peripheral lighting terrible. The H9s are pretty good though.

I was thinking about doing H9's but was worried that they would get too hot. Also, I didn't want to start hacking away at the harnesses but your solution (the adapter) looks like a great approach. Yeah the price on the oem fogs is a bit steep. I wouldn't have done it unless I got a good deal on them. There's a Morimoto 6K kit on the bay right now that looks like it will go very cheap: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I was thinking about doing H9's but was worried that they would get too hot. Also, I didn't want to start hacking away at the harnesses but your solution (the adapter) looks like a great approach. Yeah the price on the oem fogs is a bit steep. I wouldn't have done it unless I got a good deal on them. There's a Morimoto 6K kit on the bay right now that looks like it will go very cheap: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
just to clarify, you mod the base of the H9 bulb to fit the stock H11 harness. You don't mess with the stock wiring.

Also H11 or H9 is not indicative of how hot it runs. You can get higher output H11 (pay more for it) to match the H9 but you can get H9 in even higher output. 100 w H9 might not be a good idea but a 65w H9 produces about the same (not enough to worry) heat as 55w H11.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?344034-Best-H11-bulb

The Morimoto does look good.

Back