2014 CX-5, steering wheel already worn out

vishkyin

:
CX-5
Hi,

I have a 2014 CX-5 bought in March 2014.
The steering wheel has already worn out and faded in 1.5 years.

I park my car in garage and use the windshield sunscreen most of the time when parking outside. So I don't think it's the sun.

Are these parts cheaply made?
Should I complain to Mazda?

What can I do to restore this.

1.jpg

Questions for you first. Did you use an alcohol or silicone based cleaners? Maybe even antibacterial Clorox wipes or similar? If so I think they would cause plastics to deteriorate faster.

Its hard to see the condition of the steering wheel since it is out of focus in your picture.

You should always use a water-based product with UV inhibitors to condition plastics/vinyl/leather even in the sun. Doing so ensures they stay soft and supple and not cracked or dry. The water-based product I use is 303 aerospace protectant (like many of us here).

My wife's 2013 CX-5 is in parked in the sun with sunshade in Arizona for about 12 hours a day. All plastics inside and out look new because I upkeep it. This includes the steering wheel.

Thanks for the tip on 303. Anyone know if the leather steering wheel is "protected" leather. Sure doesn't feel like it.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Questions for you first. Did you use an alcohol or silicone based cleaners? Maybe even antibacterial Clorox wipes or similar? If so I think they would cause plastics to deteriorate faster.

Its hard to see the condition of the steering wheel since it is out of focus in your picture.

You should always use a water-based product with UV inhibitors to condition plastics/vinyl/leather even in the sun. Doing so ensures they stay soft and supple and not cracked or dry. The water-based product I use is 303 aerospace protectant (like many of us here).

My wife's 2013 CX-5 is in parked in the sun with sunshade in Arizona for about 12 hours a day. All plastics inside and out look new because I upkeep it. This includes the steering wheel.

Did not use any cleaners so far.
Could you recommend products to use?

I have a 2014 CX-5 bought in March 2014.
The steering wheel has already worn out and faded in 1.5 years.
Standard plastic/rubber-ish steering wheel should be very reliable even without maintenance. Our '98 Honda CR-V has 170K miles and that plastic/rubber-ish steering wheel still looks like pretty new and I've never applied any protection such as 303. Like CX-5um said your picture is out of focus and it's hard to tell the condition of your steering wheel. But since your '14 CX-5 has only 13,509 miles and you should talk to your Mazda dealer (may be Town North as you're in Richardson?) and see if it can be replaced under warranty as it's definitely a case of premature worn-out to me.

Did not use any cleaners so far.
Could you recommend products to use?

I recommend the 303 product BUT...and here's the but part. Use sparingly on the steering wheel because you do not want it to be slick and slippery for safety reasons.

From the pictures we cannot tell if its just...say water spots or something similar that you can "clean" off. Or if its cracks/flaking which in that case the dealer should replace under warranty.

Try to get a better picture of the problem with the steering wheel in focus so we can see it better. Also, I think the one poster was asking what, In the past, have you used to clean the wheel, not what have you tried to remedy the problem now. If it's been 1.5 years and never cleaned the wheel, it could be some dirt build up or something.

Attaching more pics...

I haven't used any product on it so far.
I asked the dealer today as I went in for oil change and they said "wear and tear" is not covered.

steering2.jpgsteering3.jpg

I asked the dealer today as I went in for oil change and they said "wear and tear" is not covered.
Your steering wheel doesn't look like cracking or flaking. If that is the case, you can try 303 (or something else as I've never used anything on rubber-ish steering wheel other than damp cloth or alcohol wipe) to clean it up. It seems just the dirt built-up.

As for "wear and tear" is not covered, it's still depending on which part. Like CX-5um said, if an item, such as steering wheel, normally should last 10 years but yours cracked or the color has faded at this time, I'd go all the way up and try to have Mazda North American Operations to replace it under warranty due to "premature failure" or "unreasonable poor quality".

Attaching more pics...

I think that's your problem. It looks like it has some light colored build-up in the textured areas and it's ready for a good cleaning.

Since the leather does not look deteriorated, it sure just looks like it is just old hand goo from here.

Some sort of light duty leather soap cleaner, followed by a protectant should help.

Please no more pics while you are driving! :D

Since the leather does not look deteriorated, it sure just looks like it is just old hand goo from here.
Some sort of light duty leather soap cleaner, followed by a protectant should help.
Please no more pics while you are driving! :D
OP's steering wheel doesn't look like leather, am I wrong?

Taking pictures while driving on the I-635 service road near TI Blvd at 40 mph is safe, no worries..... ;)

Your steering wheel doesn't look worn as much as it looks filthy. Use a mild soap and water to wash the steering wheel. There are dozens of you tube videos that will show you how.

303 contains known carcinogens, why put it on something you directly touch?

Last edited:
OP's steering wheel doesn't look like leather, am I wrong?

Taking pictures while driving on the I-635 service road near TI Blvd at 40 mph is safe, no worries..... ;)

Distracted driving is never safe! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A) I doubt there's any real leather anywhere in any Mazda
B) The steering-wheel you have pictured looks like a chemical issue, such as some skin product or chemical has been at it.
C) Usually build-up is dark, but maybe due to whatever skin product you use, this is not. I'd clean the wheel very well.
D) I've owned vehicles that are decades old and never had any "product" on any part of them. If you drive a vehicle with REAL leather (Porsche, Ferrari, SOME domestics, although I'm not sure which?) then yes, you do need to condition it properly. Otherwise, mild soap and water. Typically, I just use water.
E) If it were real leather and sun were the issue, it would have shrank/hardened and be pulling at the stitches.

Your steering wheel doesn't look worn as much as it looks filthy. Use a mild soap and water to wash the steering wheel. There are dozens of you tube videos that will show you how.

303 contains known carcinogens, why put it on something you directly touch?

Good point. The main reason I personally do is because I want to retain that soft touch feel of new leather. Common sense need apply. Wash hands or use gloves. Application to steering wheel is not advisable...... but I do so anyways. I think I may explore more nature alternatives for sections I touch.

Something like this: http://www.greencovesoap.com/store/p74/All-Natural_Leather_Conditioner_-_Unscented.html

FYI, here's the MSDS for 303 protectant:

http://www.goldeagle.com.au/pdf/303...340_030350_030370_SDS_4789-35_2014_Aug_01.pdf

B) The steering-wheel you have pictured looks like a chemical issue, such as some skin product or chemical has been at it.
C) Usually build-up is dark, but maybe due to whatever skin product you use, this is not. I'd clean the wheel very well.
D) I've owned vehicles that are decades old and never had any "product" on any part of them. If you drive a vehicle with REAL leather (Porsche, Ferrari, SOME domestics, although I'm not sure which?) then yes, you do need to condition it properly. Otherwise, mild soap and water. Typically, I just use water.
E) If it were real leather and sun were the issue, it would have shrank/hardened and be pulling at the stitches.

Actually my 2016 Mazda6 has leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob. Its standard on all trims as per http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsSpecs&vehicleCode=M6G. I believe there's federal laws prohibiting the advertisement of "fake leather" to be listed as Leather. It goes back to furniture related laws. Ask any reputable furniture salesman. Mazda uses the term Leatherette to specify their fake leather.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/are-your-car-seats-actual-leather-20140330-35sre.html

Mazda and Honda said they use faux leather on side bolsters, head restraints and seat backs, though neither company gives a public breakdown of where the fake stuff is used.

Mazda spokesman Steve Maciver said there was a simple reason behind the use of “Maztex” man-made replica materials.

“We use Maztex because ultimately it is a harder wearing material than leather,” he said.

“It’s for durability.

“The stuff that your body is in contact with is real leather.”

There's different types of leather. Even the luxury brands will differ between "leatherette" (not leather), leather and then "premium leather". Within these there will be different types and grades depending on where it's used and the effect/feel they're going for.

Yes, Mazda has actual leather in upper trims and usually a leather steering wheel and shift knob on the middle trim. The base trim is typically a plastic wheel and vinyl elsewhere.

While I know that you may not trust Mazda, or us here, all I can say to you is that it is made of a leather material.

On my first CX-5, the wife accidentally scuffed a scratch on the steering wheel with a ring on her finger.

Leaving permanently raised fibers that looked identical to what a leather scratch would look like.

Back