2012 CX-9 AWD GT buying question...

NickPDX

Hello everybody ... I am about to enter into the Mazda community. I have never owned anything other than a VW in my life but my wife and I need a larger vehicle and really like the CX-9.

There is a CX-9 at my local dealership that seems to have everything that we want (and more). I initially have gone through some buying programs, Costco and AAA Auto to try to get the best deal. When I was dealing with the AAA auto lady she gave me a quote that was significantly higher than what I had seen on some other sites. On the local dealership website it actually has the CX-9 in question for $34,488. When I told the AAA lady about that price she responded that she goes through a different dealership and that the one that I saw was an older one that had been on the lot for a long time and that was why they were willing to go "below invoice".

Couple questions, first is there any reason why a car that has been "sitting on the lot longer" would be a bad thing to buy? It is listed to have only 1 mile on it so it is still "new". Also, thanks to some links I found from reading on here I went to a site and saw named Truecar.com and it lists the "target price" for my location to be $37,335. Do you think that $34,488 is about the best I can expect?

The model that we are looking at is as follows: New 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD w/Nav. moonroof & bose (CX9GTXA).

Thanks for any input!! I'm looking forward to becoming part of the Mazda family! :)

Link (scroll down for the red CX-9): http://www.rontonkinmazda.com/new-cars/for-sale?active_webspecial=1

Nick,
In my experience, Costco not necessarily gives you the best price, only decent price.
You can usually do better than Costco's price by a few hundreds.
Do what I did:
1) check inventory of Mazda dealers near you. (mazdausa.com)
find the dealers that have CX9 you want (colors, packages, models, etc.)
2) go to their websites. Find the names/emails of "internet manager".
3) email the internet managers with your "precise" request (colors, models, options, etc - go easy on accessories)
4) wait for responses. Negotiate between the best two quotes. Yes, let them know you ARE making them bid each other.
5) If you have a trade-in, get them to appraise the value first and factor the value in the negotiation process.
6) finally, pick the dealer you want, go in and sign paper. In/Out in 1 hr. Say "No" to everything the finance guy tries to sell you.

I haven't been in the market for four years, but ~$34K seems like a good price to me for GT AWD + Navi + Moonroof (same as mine, BTW).
If you can wait till Aug/Sep, more rebate is coming from Mazda to get rid of 2012 inventory for 2013.
Usually the rebate could be up to $2.5K.

For a 2012 model, in the worst case, it has been sitting in the lot for 4-5 months. That ain't too bad.
Tire flat-spotting is one concern I can think of, but that will go away after you drive it for a few days.
(flat-spotting causes tire/steering vibration - pretty much like unbalanced tires)

Nick:

I just purchased in March. Ceric really has it nailed. I did AAA and Costco; none of them had the best price. In fact, one of the AAA dealers did exactly what all the other dealers warned about--gave me a price that DIDN'T include this that and the other. Their price was the best, until I tried to nail down the salesman to confirm over the phone that their price was correct. Then his price jumped $1,000! So much for the AAA price...

The AAA and Costco prices should give you a "fair" price, which you can use to bring other dealers lower. I reached out to 10 different Mazda dealers, within about a 1hr radius of my house. I ended up finding a deal 40 miles away for $34,299 for a GT, with AWD, Moonroof, Nav, Power Liftgate and roof rails. The second best price I had was $34,900, the price you have is on the low range of what I found. Obviously, every market differs, so I don't know what prices are like in your area.

Also, as Ceric said, each month, the Mazda incentive programs change. My price included $2,050 of Factory incentives--which means that the price that the dealer received was actually $2,050 than what I paid because Mazda pays them that incentive.

Last edited:
Hopefully the newer cx9s have good rotors, but make sure the rotors are ok and nut rusted to heck. Rotors can be destroyed by sitting in a parking lot for long periods of time.

Check the build month at the base of B-pillar.
Then, you will know how long it has been sitting in the lot.

A few years back, I was in the market for a Madzaspeed 6. Month to month the incentives kept getting better and better, until finally, they went away... OF course, they couldn't move that piece of garbage for anything, so I'm assuming the CX9 might be different.

I'm trying to grab a '12 CX9 GT AWD w/ Bose/Nav/Liftgate and I'm really only managing around invoice before incentives rebates. I'd like to do better, but no one is really budging even though inventories are high. 1.49% @ 72 is very attractive. You rarely see longer loans for such a low interest rate. I'd hate to miss out on it by waiting, though.

Anyone see these low rates sticking around a few more months?

Alright guys ... I've been playing a few dealerships against each other and am trying to get the best deal I can. I am currently looking at the car from the invoice I attached. I have the dealership willing to sell the car at the web special that I mentioned in my first post $34,488 and they are "making me a deal" on the accessories that I am interested in. I am waiting for the final word on the accessories (remote start, splash guards and cargo mat) to get my final quote. It doesn't seem like they are going to budge on the $34,488 at all. It is a decent amount below their invoice (assuming that is legit). I am also assuming that I will qualify for 0% and the $750 customer cash, making the deal even better.

What's the word ... pull the trigger? Thanks! ;-)

Invoice Details: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JrEGjYpz93YCFxV8BgcrYdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Alright guys ... I've been playing a few dealerships against each other and am trying to get the best deal I can. I am currently looking at the car from the invoice I attached. I have the dealership willing to sell the car at the web special that I mentioned in my first post $34,488 and they are "making me a deal" on the accessories that I am interested in. I am waiting for the final word on the accessories (remote start, splash guards and cargo mat) to get my final quote. It doesn't seem like they are going to budge on the $34,488 at all. It is a decent amount below their invoice (assuming that is legit). I am also assuming that I will qualify for 0% and the $750 customer cash, making the deal even better.

What's the word ... pull the trigger? Thanks! ;-)

Invoice Details: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JrEGjYpz93YCFxV8BgcrYdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

If invoice is 37.3k and you're getting it for 34.4k, thats 3.3k below invoice. Yeah, I'd say pull that trigger faster. Though, if you look at the date on the invoice, it's been there at least 6 months. Good deal, though.

Hi All,

I'm looking at my first Mazda as well and am researching what I should be paying. NickPDX, did you end up buying the CX-9? If so, what was the final deal? I'm particularly interested if you were able to get the 750 rebate & 0% financing in addition to the 34,488 price.

Back