2011 Ford Mustang Info

tunersteve

Contributor
:
2011 Mustang GT
2011 FORD MUSTANG V-6 GOES HIGH-TECH: NEW 305-HP ENGINE, SIX-SPEED TRANSMISSION EXPECTED TO DELIVER 30 MPG HIGHWAY

11_Mustang_V6.jpg

The New 2011 Mustang V-6
Login to download images.

• For 2011, Mustang makes sports coupe news with a new high-performance, all-aluminum Duratec 3.7-liter DOHC Ti-VCT V-6 that delivers 305 horsepower and an expected best-in-class 30 mpg highway with six-speed automatic transmission no other vehicle in the industry can beat that combination
  • Six-speed transmissions manual and automatic combine with newly standard limited-slip differential and revised suspension for road-carving driving dynamics and handling
  • New technology and convenience features include: Standard integrated spotter mirrors; message center; MyKey programmable vehicle key; and Universal Garage Door Opener
DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 30, 2009 The 2011 Ford Mustang puts 305 high-performance horses in the hands of V-6 coupe buyers with a new all-aluminum dual-overhead cam (DOHC) engine that delivers a projected 30 mpg on the highway with a six-speed automatic transmission and fun for drivers on nearly every road.
For 2011, Mustangs new 3.7-liter Duratec 24-valve V-6 uses advanced engineering to deliver its power and economy: Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) adjusts the valvetrain in microseconds. Aluminum construction means light weight. Its an engine designed to crank out torque down low, rev to 7,000 rpm and deliver the mechanical music sports coupe lovers crave everywhere in between.
Mustang is completely transformed with this new engine, said Derrick Kuzak, group vice president, Global Product Development. Everything people love about the car is still there and now under the hood is a V-6 engine that uses premium technology to deliver the power, the feel, the fuel efficiency, even the sound of the best sports coupes in the world.
New 3.7-liter V-6 engine
With Ti-VCT operating its four valves per cylinder, the new Mustang V-6 powerplant sends significantly more horsepower and torque (305 hp and 280 ft.-lb.) to the rear wheels than its predecessor despite its smaller displacement. The behind-the-wheel feel is unlike any Mustang ever produced.
This new V-6 engine really speaks to what Mustang is all about, said Barb Samardzich, Ford vice president of global powertrain engineering. It produces power everywhere in the rev range and loves to be pushed hard. The Duratec 3.7-liter builds on our promise to use advanced technology to deliver both power and fuel economy.
The high output is due largely to Ti-VCT which allows variable control of valve operation across the rev range. The variable cams operate on a Direct Acting Mechanical Bucket (DAMB) valvetrain using polished buckets and roller finger followers to reduce friction. The end result is as much as a 3 percent improvement in fuel economy and a 10 percent improvement in power output versus traditional engines without these advanced features.
Ti-VCT is complemented by special-tuned composite upper and lower intake manifolds for efficient air delivery and lighter weight. Ignition power is delivered by a high-energy coil-on-plug design, while piston-cooling jets and a lightweight die-cast aluminum cylinder block improve the durability and efficiency of the 3.7-liter V-6 design.
Performance was the mantra for every aspect of engine design. A cold air induction system and dual exhaust give the 3.7 its free-breathing style with a 7,000 rpm redline and near-instantaneous response to throttle inputs.
A die-cast aluminum deep-sump oil pan provides 10,000-mile oil change intervals, saving drivers money on maintenance and resulting in less waste in oil disposal.
Engineers also worked to ensure aggressive, high-performance sounds come from the new engine, from intake to exhaust. Not only does the retuned air intake system minimize losses, it also provides the driver with a satisfying intake rush on hard acceleration. The all-new dual exhaust system is mellow at idle but opens up with a howl at full-tilt, letting Mustang drivers know theyre behind the wheel of a world-class sports coupe.
This car marks a new type of Mustang, said David Pericak, Mustang chief nameplate engineer. Were using a high-performance quad-cam V-6 with all the bells and whistles in a car thats become legendary for its handling and roadholding; its really going to get a lot of new sports coupe fans excited about Mustang, some for the first time ever.
Powertrain improvements
Drivers can get the most out of the new V-6 engines output using either an all-new six-speed manual gearbox or a six-speed automatic transmission. Both come with the flexibility and fuel economy benefits of six forward ratios regardless of whether buyers want to shift for themselves or not.
Drivers who prefer a manual gearbox will enjoy the short throws and direct feel of the shifter along with the relaxed cruising permitted by the extra top gear ratio. Customers choosing the automatic will be pleasantly surprised to find the advanced six-speed 6R60 transmission does not sacrifice fuel economy or performance for convenience, delivering an expected 30 mpg highway with crisp, quick shifts that maximize torque and horsepower.
The automatic transmission also features a grade-assist or hill mode to improve drivability on hilly terrain. This technical innovation uses vehicle input acceleration, pedal position, vehicle speed and brake status to automatically determine the correct gear ratio while on an incline or decline. Hill mode eliminates sixth gear, extends lower gear operation on uphill climbs, and provides additional grade or engine braking for coast downs.
The standard 2.73 rear axle provides an ideal blend of cruising fuel economy and acceleration, aided by the wide ratio spread permitted through the use of six forward speeds in the gearboxes. Performance enthusiasts can select an available 3.31 rear axle ratio for better off-the-line launch characteristics.
Fuel economy improvements
Extra horsepower and refined engine operation will be the most noticeable features to new 2011 Mustang 3.7-liter V-6 buyers while projected class-leading fuel economy, also a standard feature, offers an additional bonus. The numbers speak for themselves:

• 19 mpg city/30 highway with six-speed automatic transmission, up from 16 mpg city/24 highway on the 2010 model with automatic a 25 percent improvement over 2010
  • 18 mpg city/29 highway with six-speed manual transmission, up from 18 mpg city/26 highway on the 2010 model with manual
Refinements throughout Mustangs body, powertrain and chassis design contribute to the improved fuel economy numbers. Examples include:

• The new Electric Power Assist Steering (EPAS) system which eliminates the drag of an engine-operated hydraulic power steering pump
  • Six-speed transmissions that allow lower cruising revs without sacrificing off-the-line performance
  • Aerodynamic improvements such as a new front fascia, tire spats on the rear wheels, modified underbody shields, a taller air dam and an added rear decklid seal
Handling and driving dynamics
With so much additional horsepower standard, the 2011 Mustang received enhancements to its chassis to maintain the outstanding balance and driving behavior Mustang owners expect. Damper tuning and spring rates were revised to provide a smooth highway ride while a new rear lower control arm and stiffened stabilizer bar bushings improve stiffness and handling for better cornering response.
While Mustangs aerodynamic improvements were designed mainly to improve fuel economy, engineers also adjusted the vehicles front/rear lift balance. The result is a car that tracks more securely and feels more planted to the road surface at higher speeds, helping to keep the tires in better contact with the pavement.
The addition of EPAS marks a new era in driving dynamics for Mustang owners. Steering effort at parking lot speeds is reduced, while high-speed and highway feel is improved for more precise steering and handling. Because the belt-driven power steering pump is eliminated, EPAS provides a quieter vehicle with fewer components drawing engine power.
EPAS also enables new technologies that adjust for minor driving annoyances. Pull-Drift Compensation adjusts the steering to correct for crosswinds and minor road crowning, while Active Nibble Control helps eliminate the shimmy felt at high speeds when a wheel is out of balance or a brake rotor is warped. Both conditions are alleviated by EPAS independent of driver input, helping ensure Mustang delivers a smooth, comfortable driving experience in all conditions.
Mustang buyers choosing the new V-6 will also get a standard limited-slip differential that provides better handling and more sure-footed grip in poor weather conditions by directing engine torque to the rear wheel with the most traction. When the time comes to slow things down, the 2011 Mustang is also equipped with larger four-wheel ABS disc brakes, with 11.5 inch front and 11.8 inch rear rotors.
Refinements complement advanced features
To reinforce the sporty nature of the 2011 Mustang, all V-6 models will come standard with new instrument cluster graphics, including a speedometer that reads up to 160 mph and a tachometer that reads to 8,000 rpm, reflecting the free-revving style of the new engine.
Additional lightweight soundproofing measures help filter unpleasant, high-frequency noises while tuned intake and dual exhaust add the sounds Mustang buyers relish.
Occupants also benefit from new door seals and a rear wheel arch liner that reduce road noise for a quieter, more enjoyable drive, all with minimal weight gain compared to the 2010 model.
Enthusiasts who want a premium performance-oriented Mustang V-6 can opt for the new Performance Package, which will be available August 2010. Designed for driving enthusiasts, the Mustang V-6 Performance Package comprises:

• A 3.31 rear axle ratio for quicker off-the-line acceleration
  • Firmer Mustang GT suspension
  • 19-inch wheels
  • Summer performance tires for improved grip
  • A strut tower brace for increased chassis rigidity
  • Unique electronic stability control calibration with sport mode for performance driving
For 2011, Mustang also ups the ante on technology and convenience features, including a standard drivers message center in the instrument cluster and integrated blind-spot mirrors in the side-view mirror housings.
Fords MyKey system, designed to encourage safer teen driving and safety belt use, also is newly available on Mustang. MyKey allows owners to program the vehicle key using the drivers message center to incorporate features such as limited top vehicle speed and audio volume, a traction control system that cannot be deactivated, a persistent Belt-Minder safety belt reminder and various speed alert chimes.
Top safety marks expected
Mustangs technological advances are also incorporated in the structure of the vehicle to improve safety. The 2010 Mustang coupe earned the U.S. governments top five-star crash-test rating, a designation the 2011 model is expected to achieve.
The Mustangs considerable body stiffness contributes to the coupe and convertibles driving performance and has a parallel benefit in accident protection. While the coupes body structure is approximately 31 percent stiffer than the previous Mustang platform, the convertibles is more than twice as stiff creating a structure that helps protect the cabin from deformation and intrusion in an impact.
Mustang also uses high-strength steel in its body structure and ultra-high-strength steel in the door intrusion beams for additional side-impact protection.
The front structures crush zones are computer-designed to absorb energy in a controlled manner and help dissipate it before it can reach the passenger compartment. Ford engineers have run thousands of design iterations of the Mustangs front rails to arrive at an octagonal shape that helps spread crash forces evenly to aid in protecting occupants.
State-of-the-art technology adds to the convenience and safety of the 2011 Mustang, from the availability of the latest version of Ford SYNC, with applications such as Traffic, Directions and Information, 911 Assist and Vehicle Health Report, to standard AdvanceTrac Electronic Stability Control, which complements the all-speed traction control and standard Anti-lock Braking System (ABS).
Additional standard safety equipment includes the Personal Safety System which features dual-stage driver and front passenger air bags, safety belt pretensioners and Belt-Minder.
The 2011 Mustang will be built at the Auto Alliance International Plant in Flat Rock, Mich. The new 3.7-liter V-6 will be built at Fords recently retooled Cleveland Engine Plant No. 1.

Source: media.ford.com

And yet they still appear to be using a live rear axle.

Why Ford why?

because it's cheap, effective, and not as bad as people think...just ask those who have the track pack

As for the Mustang in 11...thank god!!! I would actually consider buying a mustang now!!!

Question: Whatre the odds of getting a 3.7L detuned motor in the Fusion now?

Oh...I think all those who were thinking of getting a camaro over the mustang because of the 100hp difference in the v6 model...just jumped back to the Blue Oval Camp...

Hopefully this means i'll see fewer Camaros on the road and even more stangs :)

DEATH TO GM!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the live axle. It can easily be enhanced by replacing the upper and lower control arms from the factory with better ones available aftermarket. It's stronger and better at putting down power the way most Mustang drivers want it. Can't wait to see what they do with the V8 version.

because it's cheap, effective, and not as bad as people think...just ask those who have the track pack

As for the Mustang in 11...thank god!!! I would actually consider buying a mustang now!!!

Question: Whatre the odds of getting a 3.7L detuned motor in the Fusion now?

I know plenty of former Stang owners the have jumped to the Camaro 3.6 V6 that just love the Camaro. Everyone of them has said that they will not go back.

As for the Fursion/Milan recieving the 3.7L it probably will happen in the next generation redesign.

Why Ford why?

You obviously need to drive one or realize that it's a very simple design, and regardless of how old it is, it works. The car caters to straight line speed, and those 03-04 Cobra owners that dragged the car found out real quick that IRS didn't have the robustness that SLA provides for that kind of power.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the live axle. It can easily be enhanced by replacing the upper and lower control arms from the factory with better ones available aftermarket. It's stronger and better at putting down power the way most Mustang drivers want it. Can't wait to see what they do with the V8 version.

Exactly. Someone's done their homework. It seems like ignorance breeds the SLA vs. IRS debate every time.

I know plenty of former Stang owners the have jumped to the Camaro 3.6 V6 that just love the Camaro. Everyone of them has said that they will not go back.

As for the Fursion/Milan recieving the 3.7L it probably will happen in the next generation redesign.

I don't know if we'll see the 3.7 in any of those cars. This one was designed to also go in the F-150, so I don't think you'll see this particular model anytime soon. I actually think we'll see more EcoBoost motors in the next Fusion/Milan/MKZ, instead of hi-po V6's.

Why Ford why?

I've driven several of the new generation GTs and I quite enjoy the ride. The live axle doesn't really make a difference. The car handles just fine for what it needs to do.

It isn't like it is going to out handle a lotus if they switch to an independent rear.

Exactly. Someone's done their homework. It seems like ignorance breeds the SLA vs. IRS debate every time.

No homework just 21 years of driving one with a live axle.

I think that people that just assume that IRS is better and perhaps listen to biased european auto shows that absolutely hate performance cars without IRS.

Saying the live axle makes no difference goes too far. Obviously, a good IRS will be better for sports car handling. However, I agree that to keep the Mustang an inexpensive muscle car bargain, it's not a big deal, and for drag racing, it's almost certainly better. Many of the old school Mustang fans I know and have met prefer a good live axle setup to IRS. It wouldn't stop me from getting a Mustang. I seriously considered getting a 2011 with the new V8 over my RX-8. If I could afford it, I would have both.

On the Camaro vs. Mustang note, the Mustang has the advantage of being significantly lighter, which is more important to me than the IRS in the Camaro. The Camaro is also too frickin' huge. I'd prefer the Mustang be smaller and lighter, which is one of the main reasons I went with my RX-8 over a Mustang. I prefer sports cars to muscle cars, and no 3600 lb. car is a sports car, in my opinion.

I just see too many uninformed spouts about the SLA being inadequate, and people don't realize it's full potential. It's not going to be the corner carver that BMW provides, but it saves weight, saves cost (although some would argue), and it's been a robust design that holds up.

Having driven 80% of the S197 Mustang's produced, along with several previous models, from early 90's to 2004, the 2010 GT with the Track Pack was one of the best, if not the best, Mustang you could get off the showroom floor. With a bit more power, even more chassis tuning, and better brakes (Brembos will be an option on the GT for 2011), the car is only going to push itself further away from the Camaro and Challenger.

One thing I'm concerned with is the addition of EPAS to the car. I truly hope that the fluid design of the steering doesn't leave it with a numb feeling. The 2010 with the TP was very responsive, and you knew exactly where the car stood while driving it.

More importantly, if they keep the Ranger around any longer, will it see the 3.7L? I think that'd be a great motor for the truck, since that platform is archaic and dying.

kinda off topic but i really hate the rear turn signals on the mustang, makes it look like a semi is turning

kinda off topic but i really hate the rear turn signals on the mustang, makes it look like a semi is turning

Have you seen them lit up/turning at night? I love the sequentials. I don't care for the backup lights being integrated between the 3-cell lights though.

Here's a pic of the 2011 with the slightly modified front end:

attachment.php

I'm glad I didn't jump on that 2010 GT for this very reason. I've also heard that the cost won't be jumping up too much, as it was rolled into the 2010 price increase to help 'ease' into the 2011.

Personally, I'd rather have had them wait til 2011 and bring out the complete package, but it's still a win-win. The Camaro and Challenger coming back out forced Ford to push this car in the right direction, and they did just that. Improved interior, better driving dynamics, and class-leading technology and options. I definitely think this will tip the scales in Ford's favor.

Now, if tomorrow would get here faster and we found out what the 5.0 is all about!

I just peeked over at Camaro5, and they're a little scared. It's funny that all this 'magazine racing' popped up, and people were talking about modded 2010 Camaros vs. 2011 stock Mustangs. It just never ends with people online.

Last edited:
I'm glad I didn't jump on that 2010 GT for this very reason. I've also heard that the cost won't be jumping up too much, as it was rolled into the 2010 price increase to help 'ease' into the 2011.

Personally, I'd rather have had them wait til 2011 and bring out the complete package, but it's still a win-win. The Camaro and Challenger coming back out forced Ford to push this car in the right direction, and they did just that. Improved interior, better driving dynamics, and class-leading technology and options. I definitely think this will tip the scales in Ford's favor.

Now, if tomorrow would get here faster and we found out what the 5.0 is all about!

I just peeked over at Camaro5, and they're a little scared. It's funny that all this 'magazine racing' popped up, and people were talking about modded 2010 Camaros vs. 2011 stock Mustangs. It just never ends with people online.

i kno rite?

So we learn the details tomorrow? I thought they were going to wait till the middle to the end of december to let loose the Coyote details

Back