2010 Speed3 Tricky Clutch

SparkySP3

:
2010 Speed 3
Alright for everyone who has a manual tranny in a 3 or a Speed3. I am having some difficulty in in getting a smooth start off the light. Not trying to kill it just wanting to go to work without breaking my neck. 1st gear take off seems inconsistent every time. I am NOT new to a manual but want to know can they adjust the stock clutches on the Speed3 or do I need to re-think how I drive or are others having problems as well. If it is a cool morning like today I felt like I had to ride my clutch to get a smooth take off. It makes me worry when I jerk the car that I might hurt my new baby (my car not my kid LOL). Let me know what you all think.

Seems like Mazda clutches are either suspect or different. Mine shudders significantly in reversing uphill and also in first gear. Feels like it is going to stall.Almost feels like there is torque going on somewhere in the clutch system. I can feel it thru the clutch pedal. Let's keep each other informed on what our dealers have to say when we take our cars in for service. I am taking mine in within the next several weeks for an oil change and will report back.

every stick car has different clutch feeling so in my opinion u must get used to it and with time ull be getting bettter on the start and handling the clutch better but be gentle on it for the first k

welcome to the club. give it some time, this clutch is very different from everything else out there

Some first gen MS3 owners reported from their test drives that the '10 MS3 was easier to drive and that the clutch engagement was noticeably improved. Maybe it's not that noticeable?

If 1st gen guys say its easier to shift, then hell must be me. I went from Manual to VW GTI w/DSG and got comfortable using paddle shifters. I knew I would have some getting used to it, but 1400 miles later and I haven't noticed it yet. SLoW LrnER I guess.

Let me ask this question then. I have three methods to getting off the line.
1. I feather the gas a little to build revs and then let out the clutch slowly. If I get it right its okay. I get it wrong the car will lurch a little and I am off. I still dont like that its not smooth.

2. I rev up and let the clutch out slowly. Better but I feel like I am riding the clutch during that initial period until my foots off the clutch.

3. Is the same but with more revs I am trying to launch the car this time. No problems it what the car was built for.

I appreciate everyone's comments let me know?

Just test drove a speed...

Alright for everyone who has a manual tranny in a 3 or a Speed3. I am having some difficulty in in getting a smooth start off the light. Not trying to kill it just wanting to go to work without breaking my neck. 1st gear take off seems inconsistent every time. I am NOT new to a manual but want to know can they adjust the stock clutches on the Speed3 or do I need to re-think how I drive or are others having problems as well. If it is a cool morning like today I felt like I had to ride my clutch to get a smooth take off. It makes me worry when I jerk the car that I might hurt my new baby (my car not my kid LOL). Let me know what you all think.

IMO the clutch works better than my 2008. More progressive and light.

Yeah its got to be me. I got so used to the DSG Xmission I would shift at low revs and its okay. Just going back to a manual is rough. I will give it to my 1st oil change and then if I am still having problems then I will have them adjust it. But one thing GOD I LOVE THIS CAR.

Seems like Mazda clutches are either suspect or different. Mine shudders significantly in reversing uphill and also in first gear. Feels like it is going to stall.Almost feels like there is torque going on somewhere in the clutch system. I can feel it thru the clutch pedal. Let's keep each other informed on what our dealers have to say when we take our cars in for service. I am taking mine in within the next several weeks for an oil change and will report back.

Yeah, I get REALLY bad shudder when I'm reversing uphill... It makes me nervous because it does feel exactly like it's about to stall. Even if I have the clutch all the way out it shudders.

Hopefully it'll go away with time. Or at least diminish some.

was passing my dealership the other day, saw a 2010 black speed 3 sitting outside, asked if i could take it for a spin, car had a blown tranny at 45 miles.....

the mom of some douche high school punk bought it for him, apparently he didnt know he needed to use that weird pedal off to the left next to the brake when shifting. o yea the mom made a whole big stink about how unreliable mazdas are and mazda NA told the dealership to replace the tranny under warranty.

why the **** does this ass get a new tranny free when its clearly his fault and we get voided left and right???

was passing my dealership the other day, saw a 2010 black speed 3 sitting outside, asked if i could take it for a spin, car had a blown tranny at 45 miles.....

you sure it wasn't 42 miles and belonged to a guy on this forum with the username "mmm1988"
(bolt)

nah i dont think so. the tech told me this was his first manual car. that user said he had a civic si so he obviously knew what the clutch pedal was for. The tech asked to sit in the passengers seat and go for a drive with the kid. said the kid started the car then, without stepping on the clutch slammed it into 1st, then 2nd, then the car wouldnt move. i gave the wtf face and the tech said thats exactly what he did lol

All I have to say is WOW. High school kids getting brand new cars, with 200+ HP. Bad mix. Douche should have learned on a ******* beater. Its like my neighbor has a Cobra that just sets in the drive with the hood up. Threw a rod cause he thought oh it can take it. A little moderation goes along ways. Besides this kid who blew it up had an Si (the one your talking about), I bet he bitched cause it was a POS because he probably frigged it up too. Damn I could go on and on...

welcome to the club. give it some time, this clutch is very different from everything else out there

Anyone have info to support this statement. I have driven manual transmissions for many many years and never experienced what I feel with my 2010 hatch. I can live with different if I know why. To me, it feels defective not different. Someone please correct me if I am wrong with technical explanation. Not trying to be pissy but it sure seems to me that some of us have clutch issues that the factory needs to correct. Does anyone have a 2010 manual tranny without clutch shudder in reverse or first? If we all have it, maybe I am wrong. My clutch shudder is very apparent to anyone who has driven sticks in the past.

i have to admit it was a pain in the ass at first. i have driven manuals in the past and yea this is a whole new learning experience. I dont experience the shudder your describing tho...

ive noticed that after driving this car, going back to a "normal" clutch feels weird, almost too light and i cant feel the engagement point. guess im just used to it now.

I currently have 4 cars in the driveway, 2 nissans and 2 mazdas. All 4 have manual transmissions. There is nothing that jumps out as being any different with the Mazda's than the 2 Nissans or ANY other manual transmission cars I've ever owned/driven.

In my 2010 ms3, I'm noticing a "clunking" sound in the 1st to 2nd shift that I'm not entirely happy with. I'll continue to evaluate that though...

Fred I have been changing my take off style. I have about got it down. You should try it as well. Give it more revs before letting it out. I have never drove on a race clutch, but this one feels stiff and responsive as I would think a race one would be, its like it begs to be dropped in instead of feathered in to gear. I test drove a 370Z before buying my MS3, same way but worse. I couldn't drive that Z for s***. I have NOT notice a shuddering in reverse though. Someone on here was explaining about this new clutch with a new flywheel design, if your there dude please chime in I thought your explanation was great but need more detail.

Nathan, I have noticed the clunking sound. Alfa's used to do it, so did VW's and BMW's. I think that is just the way it is. That clunk might be the stagger in the gearing between 1st and 2nd. Again someone please explain. I think the transmission is great though, 3rd in this car scares the s*** out of me and I like it. I got plans for it though, to scare me even more. Fred I hear ya about car issues, but try changing your driving style up a bit and see if that helps. I talk to Mazda the other day and they said no adjustment can be made on the hydraulic clutch.

nice write up sparky i think ur wright with what are u saying about the clutch ,iam so excited just to get my hands on my speed still a week though for it ,

Back