2010 Mazda5 Clutch Recommendations and Compatibility

Foolish

...of Awesometon
:
'94 Miata! '10 Mazda5 Sport 5MT, '16 Mazda3 S GT
My Mazda5 only has 56,000 Miles, and after a few weeks of thinking it felt a little odd, I'm now sure the clutch is slipping.

...So, I'm wondering: What the hell? 56,000 miles and the clutch is done already? My wife's P5 has twice the mileage on the original clutch, and it's going strong, even after a bunch of autocrosses!

Does the 5 run the same clutch as the 3? If so, I'm guessing the extra weight of the 5 is what prematurely killed it.
Does the Speed3 have a more robust clutch? Would it go into a 5?

It's not making me happy to think that I'm going to have to spend money on a clutch for this thing at <60,000 miles, so I'd like to upgrade.

What's out there? Not an obnoxious race clutch, just something that's not made out of (apparently) butter and metal shavings.

Did you try bleeding the clutch first? Better yet, you are due for a full brake/clutch (shared system) fluid drain refill and re-bleed. I had the same sentiment with my previous Sport @ 46K. Once I flushed all of the brake/clutch fluid, the clutch felt MUCH better.

06 Mazda 5 went 175,000 before it needed a clutch. I would check it to make sure nothing is physically limiting the engagement. Fluid change would not influence complete clutch engagement but could influence clutch feel and release.

Different drivers will get different mileage out of there clutches, as everyone uses a clutch differently. Id assume your just alot harder on yours then your wife was on hers. Which really isnt that surprising.

Oh, just for the record, it turned out that the throwout bearing had mostly seized up, causing the really premature death of the clutch. :-(

Different drivers will get different mileage out of there clutches, as everyone uses a clutch differently.

True enough.

On my last two manual transmission cars I changed my driving style to not use engine braking downshifts. Both of those cars crossed 180,000 miles before needing a clutch job and one of those two just had a noisy throwout bearing.

For upshifts, or passing downshifts, I still drove the piss out of those cars on occasion with spinning tires, etc.

My Mazda5 only has 56,000 Miles, and after a few weeks of thinking it felt a little odd, I'm now sure the clutch is slipping.

...So, I'm wondering: What the hell? 56,000 miles and the clutch is done already? My wife's P5 has twice the mileage on the original clutch, and it's going strong, even after a bunch of autocrosses!

Does the 5 run the same clutch as the 3? If so, I'm guessing the extra weight of the 5 is what prematurely killed it.
Does the Speed3 have a more robust clutch? Would it go into a 5?

It's not making me happy to think that I'm going to have to spend money on a clutch for this thing at <60,000 miles, so I'd like to upgrade.

What's out there? Not an obnoxious race clutch, just something that's not made out of (apparently) butter and metal shavings.

The clutch on my wife's 2007 had a total failure at about 115,000 km. Which was a total shock to us. We've both driven manual cars for a long time and the other cars didn't have major issues like the Mazda5. Our 2003 civic is still on the original clutch (280,000km). My 200sx se-r has gone through a few clutches but they didn't suddenly fail like on the Mazda5. The 200sx first clutch at about 200,000km started slipping after a track day which is understandable. The Mazda5 clutch started slipping while my wife was heading home from a long drive and was totally gone within about 30 minutes. (uhm)

Back