2010 Mazda 5 roof rack question

Fenny

:
2010 Mazda 5 GT
Hello everybody! Just picked up our first Mazda, we were looking to get a used Mazda3 as a commuter for myself but my wife found the 5 and the rest is history....so now I have the junker ford focus and she drives the shiny new Mazda.

Anyways, looking to put the roof rack on it but hoping to not pay the $465+tax here from the local dealer. I found this on mazdagear.com:

http://mazdagear.com/roofrackremovable-cc43-mazda5.aspx

Which comes out to approximately $425 after S&H compared to the $500+ from the dealer. Anyways, my question is if the two are the same racks. Mazdagear mentions the part number as 0000-8L-L06 to replace part number CC43-V4-701G. The dealer only recognizes the 701G number as their part number. I'm just curious what the difference is if there is one beyond the numbering.

Also, have any other canucks around here ordered from mazdagear.com? I know their shipping is very high but wondering if I'm also going to get dinged for duty across the border.

I was about to say that $500 is outrageous for the load bars. But then I read you are in the Great White North, and well, it STILL makes no sense. They should be about $350 USD. Perhaps you can find a US dealer who is willing so ship to you.

Ok, looking for other options now and am considering the Thule 460/460R option...just not sure of the mounting kit I need. Searching around I find some people saying the 3080 while others are saying 3069. Anyone have any ideas? And what width of a bar do you guys recommend on the 5?

Thanks, I really appreciate the photos, nice looking setup. I've pretty much given up on the factory installed racks now and like the 460 options better. Just need to decide between the the 460 or the 460r. When you ordered from orsracksdirect did you set up the bongo account? How did that work out price wise? The $320 price tag is nice, locally it's looking to cost me approximately the same (around $500+ tax) for the 460r setup so curious how much i'd save if i went through bongo.

Next question, not really a biker, more of a skiier/camper, anyone have a thule 1700 setup with their Mazda5? Just wondering if that's overdoing it and if I should downsize to the 1100.

Last edited:
Mucho gracias! Thanks! So how much did they charge you for shipping? Priced out locally the 460r's are up to $600 here after taxes, even more than the stock ones. Did you consider the standard 460s instead of the "R"s? Just split between the two right now. And still trying to decide between the Thule 1700 vs 1100.

Quick addition here: Thule recommends the 50' vs the 47' bars you have, any complaints with the 47s?

Last edited:
Shipping: Don't know how much to ship it to Canada.
Free shipping within the US.
If you live near the border, you can ship it to the US and go pick it up.
That's what I usually do.

460 vs 460r: I got the 460r because it has the groove on the top to slide in the ski racks.
No need for adapters, and they look much better than the square bars.

Length: ORS recommends the 47 inches bars.
50 will have too much overhang. 47 is ok for me.
But some people need wider bars to put more stuff on the roof..
Check what you need to put on there, and see what bar is good for you.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I'm screwed, I can't get to the US to pick those up from orsracksdirect and the Bongo shipping option is just too costly for me to make it worth while, eats up all the savings. I'm going to keep shopping around to see if I can find someone else in the us to buy from that will ship to canada.

Thanks for all the help.

I've been watching but nothing has come up that's been a decent deal, and not sure the odds of finding the 3080 fit kit are good.

However, after a bunch of calling around I think I've found my best case scenario. Travis over at backcountryracks.com can put together the 460r package with locks shipped here to me for about $400.00 s&h included. Eventhough I don't qualify for the free shipping it's still significantly lower than the local $600 price tag. I've placed the order, I still have to confirm with my wife that she'd prefer the 460r vs 460 but barring that they should be here late November. They don't regularly stock the 460r so he has to special order them for me and therefore there is a delay in shipping. It's unfortunate but definitly fine with me if I save $200.00.

Considering the extended hours I burnt on this I figure I'll put a quick thread together when they come in as a guide for others on the 460 and 460r with pics. I think that was my big frustration, getting a good set of representative photos of the various options (especially a Mazda5 with a thule 1700 on the roof). Thanks again to shoredad for his.

End of day:

- 460R Podium Aero Fixpoint Foot
- Thule 544 4-pack Lock Cores
- Thule RB47 47 Inch Rapid Load Bars
- Thule Podium Fit Kit 3080

Shipped to Canada: Just under $400.00 after dollar conversion I believe.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back