2010 CX-9 Navigation system

johnups

i have to say, is complete crap. it can't even find a Target store. This, along with not being able to find addresses while driving makes it a COMPLETE waste of money.

what are the chances it could be overhauled or replaced?

Many (if not most) built-in nav units lock out features while you are driving. You can buy kits for some nav units that override this lockout. I don't believe a kit exists yet for the cx9 and denso units.

Personally I would just pull over for a few minutes to look for POI on the nav. And frankly I never use the POI on the nav. I just google for the address on my blackberry -- while parked somewhere of course.

For what it is worth, my guess is that the kit for Lexus should work for CX9 as well, since both use Denso unit. From pictures I have seen, it is all about the "purple wire" behind the display.... Anyone dare to try...

www.coastaletech.com

I am unaffiliated with it. I heard the service isn't superb.

fact: my garmin works better

fact: it was a complete waste of money

fact: multiple cd's to drive across the country is ridiculous

fact: the sales person said it could pretty much order me lunch on a raod trip, but now i have found, i have to pull over to find a mcdonalds

fact: it is 2010 and the most recent maps available are from 2008

fact: i love everything else about the cx-9

fact: my garmin works better
>> opinion, not fact. But, I agree with you.

fact: it was a complete waste of money
>> opinion, not fact. I still like it, though it is expensive by 2X.

fact: multiple cd's to drive across the country is ridiculous
>> what?! I only have 1. Where is my other one?
Try to set region of search.

fact: the sales person said it could pretty much order me lunch on a raod trip, but now i have found, i have to pull over to find a mcdonalds
>> Mazda worries about your safety or, more realistically, you suing them.

fact: it is 2010 and the most recent maps available are from 2008
>> True. And, for us 2008 owners, we have the 2006 version. Feel better?

fact: i love everything else about the cx-9
>> Finally, we agree to each other 100%.

Keep in mind this is just one owners opinion......mine.

I pretty much knew what to expect with the gps unit when we bought our 9, but it is still disappointing. I gave it a workout this past week on a 880 mile round trip over 3 states. I would hate to depend on it to really get me to where I wanted to go. I tried using different options (shortest route, quickest route, etc.) and it really made little difference. The real time display is on the money, but the system seems to ignore all but the most major streets. The voice guidence would say for example "keep left" when really all you had was a road coming in at a right angle from the right. I finally gave up and used my $100 TomTom which was spot on. The 2010's do come with 2 disks, with the country pretty much split along the Mississippi River.

Again, I was aware of problems with this and other factory units before I made the purchase. I still very much like the car. Maybe even more than I expected. To me the larger rear view camera screen included in the gps package makes it money well spent.

As a side note, we averaged 23.5 mpg with 90% being freeway. This is figured the old fashioned way with pen and paper, though the trip computor is close. It said we averaged 72 mph which pretty much tells you the speeds we were running. Normal around town is in the 20-20.5 mpg range. It's a good comfortable road machine.

The Nav is actually better than I thought. I came from Acuras, which I think has the best interface of any brand. You can display the icons. That's a feature I do like even though it doesn't bring up list if there are alot of icon in one place. The two disks really bother me. I live in Georgia but from Texas. I don't think that any other automaker has two disks. It just doesn't make sense.

The Nav is actually better than I thought. I came from Acuras, which I think has the best interface of any brand. You can display the icons. That's a feature I do like even though it doesn't bring up list if there are alot of icon in one place. The two disks really bother me. I live in Georgia but from Texas. I don't think that any other automaker has two disks. It just doesn't make sense.

My Cadillac STS and C6 Corvette do. The need for 2 disks is for POIs, and not the mapping software.

So far I can't even find Costco or Toys R Us. The only way I can do it is search for the address on my Blackberry and input the address to the navi. I totally missed my Acura Navigation.

So far I can't even find Costco or Toys R Us. The only way I can do it is search for the address on my Blackberry and input the address to the navi. I totally missed my Acura Navigation.

we have a 06 honda civic hybrid w navi and ocassionally we have the same issue of locating a nearby store that eventually locates one across the country. i don't think the cx-9 is the only one with that issue..

Every year, there will be new owners complaining about the OE navigation systems.
You go to EVERY forum, people complain about the SAME thing on every brand.
"My Garmin is way better ..."
"This navi is P.O.S..."

Well, it is GroundHog day again.

I elected not to go w/ the NAV on the CX-9 given the price and poor reviews, even though I had it on my previous car (BMW). For the <5% of my driving that is to a new place, I have been relying on printed directions or more likely google maps on my cell phone (my passenger typically navigates). Even during my regular driving I use google maps for traffic updates.

Don't want to go Garmin/TomTom since I don't like extra devices cluttering my dash and possibly getting stolen. I do miss having it an integrated nav though after becoming spoiled w/ one. Unlike the previous poster, I actually thought the BMW nav was pretty good (not great). But then again I only used it for directions, never for POI (cell phone much faster for that).

Of course it sucks, it is a factory nav system, they are majorly overpriced, and a big source of profit for manufacturers and dealers. My Google N1 with google maps navigation is 100x better than the one in the cx-9.

That said, my wife had it in her Mazda 3, and it pretty much sucked, but she likes it being built in, and not having to fiddle with wires and such. Once you learn its limitations, you learn to work with them, and yes, searching for things like restaraunts and stores is horrible. We bought the nav system, cause in the end, she just prefers it. Me, NEVER. Also, for $1500, you would think they could have put a hard drive in there to load the information, and a screen that was capacitive, or at the very least a higher resolution, that thing is UGLY But like I said, overpriced 5 year old technology. I knew what I was getting though, so I am not mad.

I am happy with my 2010 CX-9 purchase, but I'd agree that the NAV is not a strong suit. My Audi NAV screen and function and integration with the audio is better. At last I got he iPod integration on the CX-9; now if I can figure out how to keep the screen from automatically switching to the map . . . (I have a separate post on this).

As indicated by others in another thread, hit the Display button, and you will see it.

I was getting a lot of mis-direction from the Navigation system when I first bought my car, and I thought I have the setting right. I then experimented with it and now the nav system works quite well. I realized that I have to set the system to use "unnamed roads", "private roads", everything. Because the ramp of the freeways are "unnamed" according to the nav system and when I sent that to "avoid", the nav system would turn out some really funky directions.

Back