2009 BMW 335d Full Test

TinmanMS6

:
2012 Subaru WRX
09.bmw.335d.340.jpg

A careful cost/benefit analysis of the diesel-powered 2009 BMW 335d sedan vs. the gasoline-powered BMW 335i is certain to yield...exactly nothing. There are many reasons for this:

The 335d burns less fuel than the 335i, no question. Yet diesel fuel also costs more than gasoline.
The 335d costs more than the 335i. Yet it also emits less CO2.
The 335d can easily exceed 500 miles on one tank of fuel. Yet the 335i is quicker, lighter and handles better.
Shall we continue? As with most alternative-fuel vehicles, the decision to buy the diesel-powered 2009 BMW 335d will be made by the heart more often than the pocketbook. Even so, the resolutions to the dilemmas above aren't easy to find, but here's how we see it:

Fuel cost is a wash. In this case, less fuel consumption cancels the price premium of diesel fuel. Most buyers shopping for a $50,000 sedan won't be splitting these hairs anyway.
The 335d costs $2,475 more than an identically equipped 335i, yet uses less fuel and emits fewer greenhouse gases. This seems like a small premium for anyone who prioritizes the planet and can afford a car this costly.
Who doesn't want to fill up less frequently? We'd bet it's the same folks who care more about CO2 emissions than they do about 0-60-mph times.
Numbers Big and Small
The 2009 BMW 335d is one of two vehicles introducing BMW's clean diesel technology to the U.S. this year (the other is the BMW X5 xDrive35d) and it generates some staggering numbers. Most striking is the output from its twin-turbo 3.0-liter inline-6: 265 horsepower at 4,200 rpm and 425 pound-feet of torque at 1,750 rpm.

All this snort goes to the ground through just one transmission option, a six-speed automatic with a manual shift mode. This is the same gearbox offered in the 335i, and it has the same sport mode that hangs onto gears longer. Our test car was fitted with the optional shift paddles on the steering wheel.

Look critically at the engine's output numbers and you'll see a relatively high power peak for a diesel engine that still retains plenty of low-end, rubber-torturing torque. This is a rare combination. This 3.0-liter inline-6 is capable of burying you in the seat with grunt, yet it still enjoys the drivability at high rpm (the redline is 5,000 rpm) needed for sporting character. It's a unique and entertaining combination.

This kind of flexibility comes courtesy of the two turbochargers a small one optimized for quick throttle response and a larger one that takes over quickly to produce the bellowing torque. BMW utilizes urea (which it calls AdBlue) injection in the exhaust to reduce nitrous-oxide emissions.

This technology working in conjunction with a diesel particulate filter means the 335d's emissions are clean enough that it can be sold in all 50 states. The 6.1-gallon urea tank is simply refilled at the same intervals as a standard change of engine oil, so no special service is required. Urea refills are included in BMW's service program for four years or 50,000 miles. It's also impressive that BMW managed to jam this much storage volume into the 3 Series with no significant packaging compromises.

Taking Its Measure
As long as we're talking about striking numbers, here's another one: $50,895. That's what this 2009 BMW 335d test car costs with its leather upholstery and trim, the Sport package, keyless ignition and several other options. Its base price including destination is $44,725. Since it's a clean diesel, it qualifies for a $900 federal tax credit, which relieves a tiny bit of the sting. It also narrows the gap to an identically equipped 335i from the aforementioned $2,475 to only $1,575.

Now we're talking, and here's why. Using the EPA's fuel-economy figures for both cars (27 mpg combined for the 335d and 20 mpg combined for the 335i) and a rate of 15,000 miles driven annually, we find that the 335d will burn 195 gallons of fuel fewer than a 335i. In our own testing, we achieved 29.6 mpg with the 335d while covering 1,517 miles, about 70 percent of which were highway miles. Using the current average U.S. fuel prices for diesel and gasoline, the annual fuel cost at this rate is virtually the same $1,273/year for the 335d and $1,263/year for the 335i.

At this rate, it will take prohibitively long to make up the price premium you pay for the diesel-powered 3 Series in the savings in fuel cost. By virtue of burning less fuel, however, the 335i also emits considerably less CO2 every year 7.79 tons/year vs. 9.76 tons/year. So the answer for those whose hearts are green is simple: Buy the 335d.

Still, there are other benefits to consider.

Goes Like Stink, but Doesn't
The 335d's acceleration is impressive. At the track it hits 60 mph in 5.9 seconds (5.6 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip). It busts through the quarter-mile traps in 14.1 seconds at 99.1 mph. This is 0.6 second slower to 60 mph than the 335i, a gap that is maintained to the quarter-mile mark, and the trap speed is about 4 mph down on the gasoline-powered car.

The story the numbers don't tell is how effortlessly the diesel gets the job done. This power plant is amply engaging below 3,000 rpm. We found ourselves outrunning everyone while grunting it around town without ever approaching the upper reaches of the tachometer.

Venture beyond 3,000 rpm and you'll find enough life left in the top third of the tachometer to make hard driving enjoyable. And you'll do it without feeling like you're overworking the engine. When we start driving quickly, we inevitably end up spending lots of time around redline, and we've found this diesel will play in that arena with a willingness to rev all the way to redline.

Even though the 2009 BMW 335d features an aluminum-block engine, there's still a weight penalty associated with the diesel sedan compared to the 335i. Nevertheless, the 335d offers the typical feel and response through the controls of a BMW 3 Series. Intuitive and well weighted, the 335d's steering feels rewarding, despite the fact that this car weighs 3,804 pounds, 191 pounds more than the 335i. Turn-in is good and the overall sense of control doesn't suffer from the added weight.

With a 67.3-mph performance through the slalom, the 335d is a few ticks slower than the 335i, yet it punches through the cones with similar confidence. It retains a weight distribution of 51 percent front/49 percent rear despite a heavier engine and accompanying components. On the skid pad, the diesel proved as good or better than any 335i we've tested, with a performance of 0.91g thanks to 225/40R18 front and 255/35R18 rear Bridgestone Potenza RE050A run-flat tires.

According to BMW, this car's Sport package gives it the ability to reach 149 mph, just 1 mph short of the 335i's terminal velocity. Go ahead, tell us there isn't some novelty in a 150-mph diesel that pulls 0.91g on the skid pad.

Diesel? Really?
Even if there isn't novelty and you just happen to like the perfume of diesel fuel in the morning, then you've got a perfectly good 3 Series sedan that makes almost no compromises as a diesel.

Like most modern non-commercial diesel engines, this one is virtually silent. You'd never know this twin-turbo inline-6 is a diesel. When you get into the throttle of most diesel engines, it's as if someone turned up the volume control to 11. But when you rev this BMW diesel, your sound perception gauge barely goes up to 2.

One potential drawback is the fact that you'll occasionally have to search for a fuel station that sells diesel. And, sometimes, when you do, it will be a truck stop complete with the greasy mess of diesel spilled at every pump and slathered on every handle. We only had to deal with this once in five fills.

Still a 3 Series
Inside the diesel's cabin are the familiar instruments, seats, steering wheel and sense of quality that you associate with a 3 Series. You really do get what you pay for here.

And there's no indication that this is a diesel either, just the same materials and design as the other cars in the line of 3 Series cars. Diesel-powered 3s are even available now with the same options as the 335i, except active steering a feature we doubt many will miss.

So what we have here is a class-leading sedan with plenty of grunt, lots of range and a large price tag. Thing is, if you're shopping in this price range and have an ounce of social responsibility in your soul, then the 2009 BMW 335d is undeniably appealing. There isn't another car that can match its strengths. And it doesn't have many weaknesses.

You don't even need a cost/benefit analysis to tell you that.

[Edmund's]

This isn't a worth while diesel, sorry. Sure it's got asstons of torque but is slower to 60, will take YEARS to make up the premium for the Diesel over the Gasoline as well as the current difference between Gas and Diesel pump prices. If ever..

Sorry Bimmer, not a winner.

I have noticed that lately gas and diesel prices have gotten closer again. Yesterday, in GA, premium was $2.03 and diesel was $2.39. I'd love it if we could get back to when diesel was cheaper than gas.

I have noticed that lately gas and diesel prices have gotten closer again. Yesterday, in GA, premium was $2.03 and diesel was $2.39. I'd love it if we could get back to when diesel was cheaper than gas.

it would be nice, but i dont see it happening. It costs so much more now to make diesel because of the low sulfur requirements not to mention the anal greenhippies in california...

BMW is having alot of interest on this 335d and the X5d. But not many sell because of the pricing.

Last edited:
How is this not a winner? The price difference between the 335i and the 335D is $1500 after tax rebates, and they got higher than the estimated MPG out of it during a test when you know they were hammering on it. And of course it's slower than the gas-powered 335i, how could it not be? There are benefits to diesel as a technology, but top-end power isn't really one of them because they just can't rev as high. This is, however, the first diesel I've heard of to make the gap between itself and its gas-powered varient so vanishingly (and astonishingly) small as to make the driving experience more palatable to your average consumer.

And it's cleaner. But apparently concerns about carbon particulates, sulfur in the atmosphere and trying to decrease dependency on foreign crude oil are just wild and crazy hippy concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is this not a winner? The price difference between the 335i and the 335D is $1500 after tax rebates, and they got higher than the estimated MPG out of it during a test when you know they were hammering on it. And of course it's slower than the gas-powered 335i, how could it not be? There are benefits to diesel as a technology, but top-end power isn't really one of them because they just can't rev as high. This is, however, the first diesel I've heard of to make the gap between itself and its gas-powered varient so vanishingly (and astonishingly) small as to make the driving experience more palatable to your average consumer.

And it's cleaner. But apparently concerns about carbon particulates, sulfur in the atmosphere and trying to decrease dependency on foreign crude oil are just wild and crazy hippy concerns.

That is base price. I know here in the US most 3 series are not base models on dealer lots. I have connections with 4 BMW dealerships and they have told me that the diesel have not sold well.

Last edited:
That is base price. I know here in the US most 3 series are not base models on dealer lots. I have connections with 4 BMW dealerships and they have told me that the diesel have not sold well.

I didn't even know the diesel was on lots yet. I think they've just started marketing these.

I didn't even know the diesel was on lots yet. I think they've just started marketing these.

I was just at the local dealer and they have 6 335ds and 4 X5ds on the lot. And I have a co-worker that bought one amonth ago.

Base price difference between a 335D and a 335i is going to be the same price difference between loaded versions, so talking about the price difference being on the "base" model" isn't particularly relevant.

And of course the diesels haven't sold well. Americans don't want to buy them, and they haven't since the late 70's when the few early attempts by the big-3 to make diesels failed horribly. The technology has a terrible (and in many ways entirely undeserved) reputation, and the infrastructure to support diesels just isn't there for a lot of people. It's very hard to find stations that carry the stuff. It's a bit of a chicken or the egg problem from that perspective: car companies won't bring diesels to the US because they don't sell, and diesels don't sell because gas stations don't carry diesel, and gas stations won't sell diesel because there aren't a lot of diesels to sell to, and there aren't a lot of diesels because car companies won't bring diesels to the US...

The 335D remains a fantastic example of what a diesel can do, and it's too bad it's not going to sell well.

Every gas station around here sells diesel. (dunno)

Diesels don't sell because:
a. People aren't aware of the advantages of diesel.
b. Diesel is more expensive than gas, and a diesel car is more expensive than one that runs on gas.

I wanted to buy a diesel Jetta when new car time rolled around a couple months ago, but I did the math and it just didn't make sense at the current cost levels. If you're looking to save the world, diesel's better than gas. If you're looking to save a few bucks, diesel's not the answer right now.

There are lots of places in the US and Canada where diesel is not easy to get to, at least not compared to gas.

And the story and history behind why diesels don't sell in the US is a long and complicated one. Briefly: there is (still) a reputation for them being loud, smelly, dirty, and difficult to maintain based on the few diesels that were sold in the US in the 70's and 80's. The TDI is one of very few diesels available in the US, but it's also a foreign car, and that means that some people aren't going to look at it (which means they have no reason to challenge the notion that diesels are still loud, smelly, dirty, and difficult to maintain). There is a reason why Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Ford do not bring their diesels to North American markets, (I'm talking in cars like the Civic, Corolla, Altima, Sentra, Focus, etc). I'm not disagreeing with you that diesels can be great, but the reasoning behind why diesels don't sell well in the US are numerous. Some of it is reputation, some of it supply and convenience, some of it is the wants and needs of the consumer (IE: power and image are often more desirable than fuel economy) and to some degree the economics of it (but not as much as you'd think). I'd seriously consider buying one with performance numbers like in the 335D (although it gets pretty damn cold up here and fuel gelling in the cold even with additives is never fun).

Price differences are minimal, to be honest. If you look at the TDI Jetta, it's priced cheaper than the SEL Jetta, with all the same options except 16" rims instead of 17" rims. If you add on the automatic transmission option to get it equipped exactly like the SEL it's within ~$500 in price. In some cases the diesel is more, but not always, and not by a significant amount.

Yes fuel is more, by about 25%, but you get about 25% - 30% better fuel economy out of it, so that's a wash. Plus if gas companies were pushed to sell more diesel by there being a greater demand for it they'd refine more of it which would drive prices down some just by selling at volume.

*sniff-sniff* ...mmm, french fries!

...i think smell the first twin-turbo biodiesel...

I've seen diesel engine's do much better than 28mpg. Now if we were talking somewhere in the range of 40mpg I'd be all over it.

But seeing most of the turbo charged cars i've driven in my live have averaged around 25-30mpg this isn't as appealing as I thought it was going to be.

Bust.

Gmac

Price differences are minimal, to be honest. If you look at the TDI Jetta, it's priced cheaper than the SEL Jetta, with all the same options except 16" rims instead of 17" rims. If you add on the automatic transmission option to get it equipped exactly like the SEL it's within ~$500 in price. In some cases the diesel is more, but not always, and not by a significant amount.

Yes fuel is more, by about 25%, but you get about 25% - 30% better fuel economy out of it, so that's a wash. Plus if gas companies were pushed to sell more diesel by there being a greater demand for it they'd refine more of it which would drive prices down some just by selling at volume.

All the same options? You don't get real leather, dual zone climate control, premium sound system, power seats, heated seats and washer nozzles, multifunction steering wheel, Homelink, and the 17" wheels. The TDI wagon is most equivalent to the SE model, which is ~$2400 cheaper than the TDI. Gas prices are a wash because of the fuel economy, but the purchase price is the deal-breaker.

Oh, and nobody under 50 remembers the old domestic diesels.

You do get all the same options in the TDI in Canada! Sucker.

And people under 50 don't have to remember the early domestic diesels. Their parents sure do, and never bought them (or if they did bitched about them in front of their kids endlessly about them), which is why reputation is always something that crosses generational lines for things with strong long lived branding like cars have. While this is less and less an issue with the availability of information on cars, people buy what they know. There are large groups of people that drive the brand their parents or family or friends drove because they are comfortable with it. Diesels are slowly (key word, slowly) getting a foothold in North American markets, but there are lots of things working against them.

You do get all the same options in the TDI in Canada! Sucker.

And people under 50 don't have to remember the early domestic diesels. Their parents sure do, and never bought them (or if they did bitched about them in front of their kids endlessly about them), which is why reputation is always something that crosses generational lines for things with strong long lived branding like cars have. While this is less and less an issue with the availability of information on cars, people buy what they know. There are large groups of people that drive the brand their parents or family or friends drove because they are comfortable with it. Diesels are slowly (key word, slowly) getting a foothold in North American markets, but there are lots of things working against them.

We're suckers because you have to buy an optioned-out TDI? I'd argue the opposite. Anyway, I'll let you take a look at car prices and currency conversions and decide who's really getting screwed here... (fight)

Not a lot of people bought the domestic diesels either, because they were such pieces of s***, so there are even fewer kids who remember their parents' diesels. I'd venture a guess that 99% of the carbuying public has either forgotten or never knew that GM ever made a diesel sedan.

I'm not even going to get into the car price differences across borders, because the "why's" behind that little issue are also ridiculous.

Price differences are not always as large as they are in the case of the 335, and rarely are they prohibitive. It's up to the buyer to decide what they want, and there is more at play than simply money.

Not a lot of people bought the domestic diesels either, because they were such pieces of s***, so there are even fewer kids who remember their parents' diesels. I'd venture a guess that 99% of the carbuying public has either forgotten or never knew that GM ever made a diesel sedan.

This is precisely my point. In North America, the U.S. especially, diesels are oddities. People don't need to have experienced parents with diesels - instead they have experienced their entire life not driving in or being around a diesel at all. Where as in Europe, they are everywhere, and no one thinks twice about the technology. No one says "What if I get this TDI diesel, dad?" and hears "That stinking piece of s***? Hell no." Memories are long and word of mouth can do a lot of damage to any product.

There is a lot of inertia in long term markets like cars, man, and the ubiquity (or lack of it) of diesels is a major influencing factor in how well they sell. Diesel as a technology didn't take hold during its infancy in North America, for many of the reasons I outlined earlier. For the last 30 years, diesels in cars are not something the U.S. has wanted or really been exposed to save through VW (and even then not in large numbers), which is precisely why news of this 335D making it to North America is great news. It's a car that, for a small premium, performs well (previously something you could only say about gas motors), gets good mileage, is quiet, doesn't reak of burnt diesel and sulfur, and is comfortable to drive. This is such a big story because it's a step towards improving the image of diesel technology and hopefully improving sales, and as a result, improving the distribution network for the fuel.

Look, you can see other trends in car buying in the U.S. People have this visceral and sometimes unexplainable dislike for wagons, which is why there are a lot of cars that have wagon varients that compainies either don't sell in the U.S. or just don't bring over large numbers of them because of buying demographics. Same with paint colours, vehicles of certain sizes (sub-compacts like the Ka), brand varients (Astra, Holden). Ford wouldn't bring the Euro Focus over to the U.S. because they felt it wouldn't sell well, instead they widened it and softened the suspension and removed the diesel option (among other changes) before bringing it over. There's a lot of research done into what people want, and the results of this research does more than just influence what sort of paint options we get.

What's your point, here? That the U.S. loves diesels and has a huge thriving diesel market with a well developed diesel distribution network for non-commercial drivers? That money is the ultimate influencing factor in what we buy or what we drive? The first is pretty short sighted, and the second flatout wrong (or we'd all be driving Kia's).

I think that, sadly, more than anything, the American public buys what they are told they should want. I think the reason that hybrids and diesels have any market at the moment is that the media has told us that we want to be "green". Nobody was interested before because everyone was convinced that they needed an Excursion or an Escalade. People are sheep.

I don't think it's fair to the U.S. public at large to argue that, frankly. I'm not going to say that car companies don't influence vehicle purchasing through effective advertising, but advertising and sales are inevitably tailored to specific market wants and needs.

Back