2008 Mazda5 - blacked out the A/C Condensor

Just a pet peeve of mine but I hate to look into the lower grille and see the silver AC condensor. I spray painted mine with some matte black krylon. After deciding I wasn't going to hassle with removing the lower grille, I simply spray painted through the holes and wiped off the overspray with a rag.

Looks much better....... Will post a pic when I have time.

White (or at least OEM silver) reflects light better, black will absorb light energy and convert it to heat. Also, not sure of the chemical makeup of Krylon, but I imagine it has some insulating effect. I hate to say it, but I think you just really eff’ed up your AC system, at least lowered it’s efficiency. I’m with jeeb here, if you were to paint a non-functional component, big deal… unfortunately the reason it’s positioned there is to expose it to cool outside air, and painting it is only going to hurt performance.

I hope you can come back and prove me wrong by stating that your AC system still works like a charm… this is one case I really would like to be proven wrong. But I don’t think I am, unfortunately :(

Disclaimer: Take my opinion here with a grain of salt, as I myself painted my brake calipers black. I have no doubt that I am contributing to brake fade by doing so, but I still believe this is of minimal difference when compared to painting something that’s sole purpose is dissipating heat.

Last edited:
I'd agree that it might not be quite as good, but many AC systems have black paint on them. I probably wouldn't worry if it's not really thick.

Black is good at ABSORBING heat but as the condenser is hidden this is a non issue. Black is also the best color for REJECTING heat (for the same reasons) and therefore black is actually a GOOD color for this.

As far as insulation, if I had put a thick coat on all the fins I'd agree, but this is a light spray that is really only on the ends of the fins. I haven't noticed any difference and don't expect to - based on experience I had engineering A/C systems for cars and trucks.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants "S" plan on a Mazda, just send me a PM and I can arrange it.

Last edited:
Yup S plan is basically Invoice.
For my GT the Splan price was 21,063 before dealer discounts and Mazda lease cash. Makes negotiating a breeze.

Back