2008.5 MS3 Piano black trim pictures...

Some of the black looks good. But not to much.
new shifter looks like a fatter MSP shifter.
E-brake handle looks diffrent.

New pedal covers. Not the same shapes.
Glove box pull is silver not black anymore.
shifter looks shorter already.
The radios buttons are a new shape. same as the cruise. a little more round to them. PLus the the radio station or track up and down buttons there is only an up. The top 2 but bottom of them is diffrent,. (maybee band or sat function
But if you want the steerign wheel trim you have to change the buttons out also!

and that must be a euro miodel judging by the ability to close the center top vents.

most other markets have had heated seats on the MS3/MPS since the start. I dont know why Mazda thinks Americans wouldnt want this or heated mirrors.

To keep the price down. Mazda(and every other car manufacturer) knows that the hatchback is not the most popular body style in the US, so the try to make it more affordable.

I think it looks cheap. The gun metal look we have now looks better forsure. The base model '04 3's actually had a piano black dash trim piece before. The glove box handle is back to silver and there is no more red stitching for the shifter boot and steering wheel is gone.. Hell it doesnt even look like the cluster says MazdaSpeed.. I dont know how acurate that photo is....?

Last edited:
IDK, my '08 Tribute has this gloss black trim, and it is SEXY. Wife loves it, and so do I. We put a coat of Honda Polish (motorcycle plastic polish) on it, and its now a deep shine.

ok guys, lets take this back on topic. To clarify, this is a section for 3 and ms3 drivers, lets try to keep things civil when discussing the differences... I believe that the picture on here may well be from an 08 mazda 3, not the 08.5 ms3. Its ok, whether he knew it or not, the OP was giving us an example of what the piano black will look like on the ms3, not the identical interior of the 08.5. Now can we all relax a little bit? and TheMan, take that huge chip off ur shoulder man...

I suppose if someone really wanted the piano black trim in their MS3 they could just order the pieces from the dealer and snap them on.

I like the silver trim though, I think the piano black would make the interior too dark. It does look really classy though.

Reminds me of the piano black finish in my 04 RX-8. Looked nice but one fingerprint is it was all over. I was kinda disappointed when the interior of my 07 MX-5 had the same black finish. Glad my Speed3 doesn't have it...

I talked to my salesman today and he told me they talked to the regional mazda rep and they said no interior changes? I wonder if he was just bsing.

Went by Mazda NA in Irvine. The location where warranty work and parts and stripped cars are. When there are problems they go there. Not the building next to the Ford building but in another part of Irvine.

There was rumor a grey MS3 was dropped off. They were right

The pic in the OP is of a normal 3

The difference interior wise is the grey in the seats is black. Red stitching is still there, shifter is the same pedals the same radio the same.
Just all the brushed metal looking color around the radio and switches is black. Steering wheel controls are the same. Seats still say mazdaspeed. But the heads up display is black also like the rest. Just on the far right has a little read MAZDASPEED badge, and the glove box button/key is silver.
It didn’t say MPS on the outside.
It said MAZDASPEED3 like normal. Same wheels. Same everything else. Btu the grey does look good. Didn’t see any white ones around. (Did see a LAGUNA SECA official pace MS3 and RX-8 in the front.

But mainly the interior is the same. A day I contemplated having my camera in the car. I will tomorrow and get pics.

Last edited:
Us smoking turbo guys should pull in front of that Irvine building with bilows of burning oil smoke coming out our tails.. When they ask wtf is going on, we can tell em were here for warranty work. LOL.

Thanks for the update and look forward to those pictures.

The Mazdaspeed badge on the interior looks like a sticker, doesn't it? Theres another thread where someone took pictures of an 08.5 Crystal White Ms3 and the badge looked like the sticker edge was lifting.

I don't exactly like the interior..only because I feel they should have painted the (Media/Sat/FM) radio buttons piano black between the top piano black and the bottom radio buttons. To make it all flow smoothly. Did they make anything Piano black by the gauges at all?

I may just get a non 08.5 model next month, and paint the interior passenger side bar/radio display bezel True Red like the exterior of the car I get. We'll see, I haven't even decided yet.

Back