2004 Mazda 6 4 cy Car Cranks then dies

Peck

:
2004 Mazda 6 4cy 2.3
My mazda has ran fine no real issues to speak of, then one evening when getting in to drive home from work the car would turn over, fire off begin to idle then die but after about 3 times ran perfectly fine. Got home turned it off and it fired up no issue, next morning it was doing the same so i parked it. To this point it will crank and fire first try but dies just moments later. Playing with the throttle helps seemingly none in those moments. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I'm having a very similar issue with my 6i 2.3. Did you every figure it out?

I removed my mass air flow sensor, cleaned it, even tried a new one for kicks I cleaned my throttlebody and reset the ecu. No dice. When I try and start mine when the engine is cold it doesnt want to start, it will sputter a bit and then die. After a few tries, everything is fine. Not sure what's going on, it just started out of the blue.

I am going to do a tune up and see if it's a spark issue, if not I was going to look into the fuel pump.

Last edited:
Well, OP doesn't seem to be coming back... But, I pulled my plugs, and cylinder #2 has oil in it. Plug was covered. I'm not 100% sure if oil was sitting around the plug and I have a leaking valve cover gasket, or if i possibly have a valve seal/guide that's leaking oil into the cylinder.

Later today after the car sits for several hours I'm going to check for oil around the plug, then pull it and see if there is oil on the plug/cylinder still. If so, that's gonna cost me. Otherwise I might as well replace the valve cover gasket. Then I'm back to square one on trying to figure out why it wont start...

Is a leaking valve seal not letting the car start up right away? If it's that much oil in there it must be a guide or something.

If you keep pressure on gas pedal will the engine die?

If no, then, it is likely the idle control valve that us leaking air.

If you keep pressure on gas pedal will the engine die?

If no, then, it is likely the idle control valve that us leaking air.

Sometimes holding the gas pedal down seems to help, other times it seems to continue to struggle and die. Plus, it has an electronic throttle body.... so it doesn't really have an idle control valve.

I do plan on replacing the throttle body gasket. I have the replacement, and the throttle body has been cleaned. Though if it were an air leak, I would presume I would have problems after the car is running. When the car runs like a dream after it's started.

Last edited:
Back