2004 M3s Coolant Type

tomk17

:
2004 Mazda 3s
I did perform a search and looks like there is still a lot of discussion about the coolant type that should be used in my 2.3L engine. Based on some other posts, I got the ZEREX by Valvoline G-05 coolant. Current coolant is dark green so it's definitely not Dex-Cool. Is the G-05 stuff good to go? http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/zerex/antifreeze/42#b

Mazda manual is useless and says nothing.

Jug say fine for Fords 2003 and up. Small blurb about "Asian" cars including Mazda but the little graphic on the bottle says G-05 up to 2003 then Dex-Cool 2004 and up. I don't believe it as mine is not red.

I suppose I could have got the Peak Universal stuff but could not find around me. The Zerex G-05 was $16 at NAPA and is full strength so I'll mix it 50/50 with distilled water and have enough for maybe another drain and fill in a month.

Answered my own question. Took back the G-05 stuff although it probably was OK, and instead got the Ford Motorcraft Specialty Green Coolant which is identical to the Mazda FL-22 recommended silicate free coolant. The G-05 is "low" silicate and again was probably fine. Mazda dealer wanted a whopping $28 for a gal, local Ford dealer was $25 for the equivalent Specialty Green coolant. Contrary to some earlier info on the web, the Motorcraft stuff was in fact full strength which I cut with 50% distilled water. Still have enough for another drain and fill soon to get a more complete fluid exchange.

Old stuff did not look too bad after 62K miles but since I just got the car and saw no record of it being changed, I feel better with my baseline change.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back