2003 protege front end clunk ( not endlinks)

ibanez78

Hi all, I'm trying to find the source of a clunk coming from the front of my car. The sound can happen when going over small bumps or even when the weigh shifts in the car, I've even heard it sometimes when I get out of the car and the car raises that little amount. I know they sound is not the endlinks because I have disconnected both sides. I recently replaced al the shocks on the car and the strut mounts looked ok to me. I have also had one of the control arms replaced a few years ago, I'm running out of things to replace! Could it be a ball joint on the other control arm, could it be the bushings on the control arm? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

have you replaced the brakes recently? the bolts that hold the caliper bracket onto the knuckle like to come loose if they aren't torqued to factory specs. sounds like a crazy rattle. One way to check that is go over a series of bumps with your foot barely resting on the brake. if it's still there, then look elsewhere.

also...even though you disconnected your sway bar links, your bushings can still allow movement in the sway bar. i'd just say those are probably toast and they need replacing. $5.95 at my local mazda dealer and typically last around 90k miles with spirited driving.

Back