2003 Protege ES clunking very often

upanddown

:
2003 Protege ES
I have a clunking noise that is only intensifying in frequency and severity. It is coming from just right of center on the front end between the tires.

I have replaced the strut, strut mount, tie rod end, sway bar links, and lower control arm with bushings and ball joints pre-installed. This was done on both sides to keep everything dealing with the suspension even and new. With the front end on stands I grab the either front tire and there is a little play left and right followed and the same clunking noise.

Thanks for any suggestions or guidance on where to look.

Did you install Peddler Bushings or OEM Rubber?

Bushing-2.jpg

Bushing-1.jpg

OEM rubber.

The sequence of repairs was struts, mounts, and sway bar links because struts were out. After this repair the clunking starting and grew over the course of a month. Then I changed the LCA and the cluncking is getting worse.

It seems that replacing the older worn out parts is amplifying some other part that needs to be replaced....that is my best guess I just dont know which part that may be.

Now Im thinking it is the inner tie rod or the rack and pinion. I have yet to find where i can buy just the tie rods though.....I will bite the bullet and take it to a shop. Im not feeling changing out the rack and pinion lying on my back in my garage.

Now Im thinking it is the inner tie rod or the rack and pinion. I have yet to find where i can buy just the tie rods though.....I will bite the bullet and take it to a shop. Im not feeling changing out the rack and pinion lying on my back in my garage.

Rockauto has the tie rod in stock.

Great!!

I know I looked through rockauto.....I just must have missed it.

Just changing the inner tie rod since everything else to the outside of the car has been changed, all I would need now is the inner tie rod and inner boot kit correct? Is there any other small bits that I will be needing that you or anyone else is aware of?

As a side note, since my protege is down my other car has started to overheat and have a coolant leak and my fun 78 westfalia van has developed some electrical issues....the car gods are not smiling on me lately.

hopefully one last question....

Some places advertise these as front driver and front passenger while other websites list them as front only....is there a difference between driver and passenger? Im guessing length but not for sure.

thanks in advance.

Here is the latest and most baffling part so far:

I jacked the car up and slid under it while my wife wiggled the tires horizontally. With my head and ear as close to the rack and pinion as possible I was hearing the clunking sound coming from about 18 inches behind the rack to the rear of the car in the center, not more on one side or the other....there is nothing there to make the sound!

There was play in the tie rod since there was an audible sound, BUT with my hand on the rack and on the tie rod I could NOT feel any vibration that accompanied the clunk and again it did not sound like it was coming from the area of the rack.

I am really puzzled at this point.

Do you have a mechanic's stethoscope? It can come in handy when trying to pinpoint a sound. Some people use a screwdriver with their ear to the handle, but the stethoscope is the way to go. Harbor Freight sells them at a good price.

Back