2003 mazda speed protege fuel cut ! Help !

Yo3datsaweek

:
Mazda speed protege
What's up everyone i just recently bought a protege speed and Love the car but its been hesitating on boost and has a hard fuel cut off at about 6,000 rpms in 2nd and 3rd gear .. Throwing codes for lean mixture and maf sensor .. Replaced maf sensor and saw no difference l.. Please someone help me if u have any tips thanks !

'Lean mixture' code is probably a vacuum leak, check for leaks in the piping and missing exhaust manifold hardware. Check the maf wire harness for damage and see if the car has a piggyback installed near the ECU on the passenger footwell.

if youve just gotten the car an know nothing about it.. theres a documented problem on almost every mazdaspeed protege with fuel cut/hesitation; look into getting one of a few options: ECU Flash, Piggyback module for ECU, or new standalone engine management system..

good luck, we're here to help!

Thanks everyone i will check tommro .. I read some where about a hose under the intake manifold that could break and cause a lek that would cause lean mixture ?

Car boosts up and then "hits a brick wall " like the spark is being cut off ... Really doesnt sound good ... Car idles fine drives fine besides while boosting .. Really dont kno what it could be .. Any help is great!

Sounds like your Waste gate actuator. I bet you have a wistle under boost. Get an aftermarket upgrade over the O.E. part that will cost you an arm and leg.

It was the waste gate actuator , car runs good now, alot less power in the long run ...now that the car is running smooth what can I do to get it pushing close to 7psi as I am only at 5.5 psi through full boost ... I wanna get an intake . Any ideas on minor mods to help me out ?

It was the waste gate actuator , car runs good now, alot less power in the long run ...now that the car is running smooth what can I do to get it pushing close to 7psi as I am only at 5.5 psi through full boost ... I wanna get an intake . Any ideas on minor mods to help me out ?

Did you get a boost gauge?

You may have other problems, go through and do a good tune-up and make sure the car is running properly before you start to mod it.

You are as lucky as I was. When I bought the car second hand the waste gate actuator went out on me and I was boosting out of control.
We both could have ended with Zoom Zoom Boom. I put a forge waste gate Actuator at stock pressor. Not as much fun but when I have my engine built I will up the boost. From what I have read most guys have beem running 9-10 psi for years now with out a problem.
I just added an injen cold are intake and my computer reads a 13HP gain. So two things to think about boost controler and intake.

Thanks zealoustheender , it runs good now , i just replace the egr valve because it wouldn't even hold and idle and i pulled old egr out and it was so rusted all the bolts wouldn't even come out .... So far i have got boost gauge and intake is on the way ... How did ur car run once u installed the injen cold air intake ? Big difference ? I don't plan on upping the boost anytime soon just want the car be realiable for now .

Hey man how's the car coming?

Thanks zealoustheender , it runs good now , i just replace the egr valve because it wouldn't even hold and idle and i pulled old egr out and it was so rusted all the bolts wouldn't even come out .... So far i have got boost gauge and intake is on the way ... How did ur car run once u installed the injen cold air intake ? Big difference ? I don't plan on upping the boost anytime soon just want the car be realiable for now .

to answer your question the cold air intake was a fun mod. You can feel the gains and the sound of the car taking in air.
I just finished my Forging of the motor and the car is insane. I have lots of fine tuning to do though.
And I most recommend a pope exhaust manifold and down pipe and 3in exhaust. Taking care of the exhaust system opens the car to a new level.

Back