2003 Mazda Protege5 starting issues

Jerseybuilt

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
My son has a 2003 Protege5, 77,000 miles. He recently installed an amp and sub. He travels 60 miles a day, to and from college and work. He noticed his fuel economy and performance has declined, check engine and ABS light have come on. On his way home last night, the car quit running, while driving. He kept it in gear to try to kick start and didn't work. Parked it on the side of the road.
He stated that it was knocking when he was trying to kick start. I figured, maybe because it was turning over, but not sparking. It has all the lights and power accessories working and turns over, but will not start.
I have no clue when it comes to these computerized cars, but I feel I'm mechanically inclined enough to fix it. Could it be the alternator, timimng belt or ECU?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

My guess would be an overloaded alternator or possibly, a broken timing belt. The first thing I would do is charge the battery. If the car starts after that, the alternator could very well be the culprit. If the engine cranks but never starts, take a look at the timing belt. If neither of these things pan out, you might want to bite the bullet and have it towed to a trusted mechanic.

I was able to check spark at the plugs and was good. I can hear fuel pump running. When we were cranking it over to check spark, I can hear a growl/grinding sound, at the timing belt cover. I probably broke the belt???? Going to remove the valve cover and check.

Back