2003 Mazda Protege VICS/VTSC question

03MP

:
2003 Mazda Protege
Hello,
First post in these forums, so if this isn't in the right spot, please let me know.

I've just bought an 03 Protege and its been giving me some shuttering and bucking issues at low rpm. I took it in for a diagnostic and was told that my "VICS Shutter Valve Actuator" has a cracked diaphragm and isn't holding proper Vacuum.
I've been doing a great deal of research trying to get this part replaced. At the end of a long trip, I'm realizing that the only way to get one new would be to buy a new Inlet from the dealer, which I'm not ready to do yet.

I had a few questions...
This vehicle uses a VTSC Shutter Valve Actuator and a VICS Shutter Valve Actuator. I'm able to find the VTSC Actuator easily and can buy the replacement, but the VICS is only available as part of a new intake inlet. Are these 2 valves the same part number, or no? (I can't seem to find an answer to that). If they are the same part number, I'll just order the one I found, though I'm starting to lean it not being the case.

I've checked all the local junkyards (about 8 of them) and none of the junkyards have the part I'm looking for, they are either taken already or damaged when I get to them.
Lastly, anyone know where I could get just this part? Someone has one for sale maybe?

I've added some images direct from the dealer catalog, and have circled the exact part I'm looking for. When I called the dealer they said there is no part number listed because it is only sold as part of that Intake Inlet and they wanted around $400 for it =/

Thanks

Vacuum System.jpg
VICS.jpg

Hello,
First post in these forums, so if this isn't in the right spot, please let me know.

I've just bought an 03 Protege and its been giving me some shuttering and bucking issues at low rpm. I took it in for a diagnostic and was told that my "VICS Shutter Valve Actuator" has a cracked diaphragm and isn't holding proper Vacuum.
I've been doing a great deal of research trying to get this part replaced. At the end of a long trip, I'm realizing that the only way to get one new would be to buy a new Inlet from the dealer, which I'm not ready to do yet.

I had a few questions...
This vehicle uses a VTSC Shutter Valve Actuator and a VICS Shutter Valve Actuator. I'm able to find the VTSC Actuator easily and can buy the replacement, but the VICS is only available as part of a new intake inlet. Are these 2 valves the same part number, or no? (I can't seem to find an answer to that). If they are the same part number, I'll just order the one I found, though I'm starting to lean it not being the case.

I've checked all the local junkyards (about 8 of them) and none of the junkyards have the part I'm looking for, they are either taken already or damaged when I get to them.
Lastly, anyone know where I could get just this part? Someone has one for sale maybe?

I've added some images direct from the dealer catalog, and have circled the exact part I'm looking for. When I called the dealer they said there is no part number listed because it is only sold as part of that Intake Inlet and they wanted around $400 for it =/

Thanks

View attachment 214266
View attachment 214267

They are the same unplug it then take it loose from the manifold by pushing the black tab below it down and sliding it out. Type in the numbers on Google and find it cheaper then any parts store. Either way it's more the likely a part you have to order so save yourself some money. This goes for any parts you need.

They are the same unplug it then take it loose from the manifold by pushing the black tab below it down and sliding it out. Type in the numbers on Google and find it cheaper then any parts store. Either way it's more the likely a part you have to order so save yourself some money. This goes for any parts you need.

Thanks for the reply (I actually forgot about this post).
A few weeks ago, I actually managed to find an entire used Intake from a junkyard in Philly, PA. Ordered it off ebay for $50 dollars and replaced the part I was looking for.

Turns out that you are correct, both the VTSC and VICS valves are the exact same part, except that they have different mounting brackets welded onto them. Also, since this post I realized I was incorrectly asking for the little actuators instead of the actual vacuum valves they operate, my bad.

But yeah, thanks for the reply and consider this post resolved :)

Back