2003 auto transmission leaking... Just great!

WayneTeK

My transmission has already been rebuilt at 100,000 miles and i guess they didn't do a good job because the drain bolt by the transmission is always leaking and wet.

Instead of taking it apart, which i have no money for, i just want to refill the tranny fluid.

Is there a dip stick area for the transmission? I just want to refill my transmission fluid from the dip stick area.

My transmission has already been rebuilt at 100,000 miles and i guess they didn't do a good job because the drain bolt by the transmission is always leaking and wet.

Instead of taking it apart, which i have no money for, i just want to refill the tranny fluid.

Is there a dip stick area for the transmission? I just want to refill my transmission fluid from the dip stick area.

you failed to mention stick or auto... if its leaking at the pan plug. They more then likley forgot the little gasket thing on the drain plug.

Auto's have a stick and standards don't.

Edit: I see if you sig its a "sport shift" I assume its the tip tronic. How long ago did the shop do it? If its not to long ago take it back and have them put the gasket back in.

Last edited:
The auto was in the thread title & the dipstick is underneath the brake mstr cylinder sticking up from tranny with an orange nub "handle" on it. You'll need a narrow tall funnel to not make mess. Why not just pull the plug? It'll only drain 2-3 quarts out. Buy the gasket & 4 quarts of whatever atf you have in it (Mercon V compatible), pull the plug, put gasket on it, put it back in, tighten then refill thru dipstick. Put a couple in then run the car in park on level ground checking the level. Fill in small increments until good on the dipstick.

Last edited:
The auto was in the thread title & the dipstick is underneath the brake mstr cylinder sticking up from tranny with an orange nub "handle" on it.

lmao how did I miss that..(beer)

Edit: Found a pic for for the OP!

P8250245.jpg

Last edited:
The auto was in the thread title & the dipstick is underneath the brake mstr cylinder sticking up from tranny with an orange nub "handle" on it. You'll need a narrow tall funnel to not make mess. Why not just pull the plug? It'll only drain 2-3 quarts out. Buy the gasket & 4 quarts of whatever atf you have in it (Mercon V compatible), pull the plug, put gasket on it, put it back in, tighten then refill thru dipstick. Put a couple in then run the car in park on level ground checking the level. Fill in small increments until good on the dipstick.

the auto takes Type M-V, it is NOT the same as Mercon V.... putting the wrong s*** in may result in damage!

the auto takes Type M-V, it is NOT the same as Mercon V.... putting the wrong s*** in may result in damage!

I have never understood why different car automatic transmissions, which seem to be very much alike in terms of their mechanisms, materials, and operating temperatures, require different fluids.

What properties of transmission fluids makes the choice so critical?

There are many specifications for ATF, such as the DEXRON and MERCON series, and the vehicle manufacturer will identify the ATF specification appropriate for each vehicle. The vehicle's owner's manual will typically list the ATF specification(s) that are recommended by the manufacturer. Some manufacturers will recommend different ATF products for different kinds of vehicle use, such as frequent trailer towing or vehicles that are used for longer periods between routine maintenance. Automatic transmission fluids have many performance-enhancing chemicals added to the fluid to meet the demands of each transmission. Some ATF specifications are open to competing brands, such as the common DEXRON-III specification, where different manufacturers use different chemicals to meet the same performance specification. These products are sold under license from the OEM responsible for establishing the specification. Some vehicle manufacturers will require "genuine" or Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) ATF. These products are proprietary, typically not open to 3rd party licensing, and typically available only from sources controlled by the car's manufacturer such as a car dealership.

Right, did I mention it was early here when that was posted? lol. OP just use what the stick has stamped on it, which is M-V. I just use AMSOIL atf so it covers all that s***...........

There are many specifications for ATF.

Automatic transmission fluids have many performance-enhancing chemicals added to the fluid to meet the demands of each transmission.

Sure, there are some differences, the thing I don't get is what could be SO different that it damages the transmission. It isn't like one type has pH 2 and another has pH 12, or one is water based and another oil based.

Back