2003.5 MSP Low Boost

usmc9701

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Ok, hoping someone here can help me. I have a 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege with the following problems. Low boost around 2 to 3 pounds in the higher rpm range. I have no boost leaks as I have done 3 boost leak tests. Wastegate is new and it works. BPV works. Turbo spools and is not making any sounds, has a very small amount of shaft play. I hear the whoosh sound coming through the Injen CAI. I have installed a new exhaust manifold gasket, new spark plugs as well. I'm getting a p0401 and a p0307 code but really don't think this has anyting to do with boost, correct me if I'm wrong. The last catalytic converter is bored out due to it having had some lose paticals inside.

Tests performed.

I took the bpv off an blew into it and air was not getting through.

Applied air to the turbo inlet pipe (cold side) holds pressure. As I remove the tester I can hear the air release, so it's holding boost. Did not here any leaks what so ever.
Sprayed soap and water mix to find bubbles, none detected.

Removed vacuum hose connected to wastgate and ran car, still 2 to 3 pounds of boost.

Applied air to wastgate actuator and the rod moved.

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate your help.
P.S I'm a new member here and all I know in regards to turbos, is what I have read online. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!! Im guessing by your name, you are or were in the military?

As far as the WGA, is it an OEM replacement or aftermarket? For the 401 code, clean your EGR valve. And Im guessing your other code is a typo since we only have 4 cylinders.

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes Marine Corp. The WGA is from ATP, it's an OEM replacement. Codes I got from Advance Auto Parts. I too was confused. I was told it was one of the coil packs.

no problem bro and thanks for serving. I served in the Army, got out middle of last year after two deployments to Iraq. But anyway, try another code scanner for that misfire code if you want to narrow it down. Of course the P0300 indicates a misfire. But you might as well replace all plugs, wires and coils if you end up needing to replace any of them. If the code ends up being a random misfire, it could more than likely be a vac leak somewhere. For the WGA, make sure where the C clip goes on the turbo, make sure that hasn't backed out any. I recall a couple of members here have had that happen

Thanks for your service as well brother. I'll check those things you mentioned. I will also look at the WGA tomorrow. Thanks for your help. I will keep in touch.

any time bro. When you get a chance, post up a thread in the MSP welcome area about your car and pics. We all love pics here..lol

Oh man my car is nothing to look at. It is in need of paint and some bodywork here and there. But if you must have pics I'll take them from afar. I was thinking about what you said in regards to the clip behind the WGA coming off so I went outsde and double checked it. it's on. Also if the clip had come off would I still be making 2 to 3 pound of boost?

not really the clip itself. The the stud or whatever that you attach the WGA arm to with the clip is attached to a spacer or something like that. I remember someone posting pics of that spacer backing out of the turbo and causing issues. I don't remember if it was boosting too much or too little. But it's worth a shot. If that clip came off and the WGA came off the turbo, you wouldn't build boost as the flap inside the turbo would just be blown open preventing you from boosting. If it is still connected, something else is causing the issue

Last edited:
Oh' I see what you mean. Dam, well that means I will be under the car again removing the turbo. Thanks for your help man, I really appreciate it.

Two tours in Iraq, hope everything is well. I hear stories from my friends all the time. I never got to jump the pond. My EAS was 11/05/2001. Lucky some say. I sometimes feel like a race car that got put togther for a race but never got to race. But I'm also thankful I got out when I did. Like I said I've heard some nasty stories and lost some good friends. Thanks for your time in service.

keep us posted bro.

and yeah, two tours. Im doing fine. Still have nightmares and flashbacks every now and then. My last deployment really screwed with me, lost a couple of good people due to rocket attacks. Going on two years since that deployment and Im still going through VA counseling for it.

if the wastegate is good when you check it for leaks then it maybe the tension on the wastegate bar as long as its the threaded style.the looser the less psi the more tension the more boost.

thanks chiqles, and I don't think the ATP wga is threaded
ATPvsstockWGA_zps0bd1843d.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks guys. My next mission is to check the turbo flap and make sure it's working. It will most likely have to be this weekend but I will definitely keep you guys posted. Thanks again.

at what point do you see boost? If you see boost at around 3000 im still going with tension on the bar then the onlt way to work with it is a boost controller or cheap boost knob. if you see boost late. then yes your waste gate is stuck open a tad

Spiced MSP. Glade to hear your oaky. When we lose friends like those that stood next to us in a time of danger it feels like losing a brother. Stay strong soldier. Your brother in arms
USMC9701.

The turbo start boosting at around 4k rpm by the time it reaches 7k rpm it's boosting no more then 3 to 4 pounds. I not 100% sure but I do think I may have installed the WGA upside down, meaning the vacuum tube was facing down when I removed it and now it's facing up. I did notice the bar touching the edge of the WGA a little bit, however when I apply air via my compressor it moves freely.

Back