2002 MP5 Reaching 100k Miles - What should I tune up/work?

Well check engine light came on yesterday, stopped by AutoZone to see what's up
looks like it's the infamous P0300 and P0660 codes

I went ahead and ordered the above EGR that I had questions about, but am looking for recommended coil packs & wires I should get (links would be helpful too so I have an image to the name)

Thanks for the tips.. hopefully I don't F up my car too badly while I'm waiting for parts..
Thanks!

If you have a choice do not drive it, it will damage the precat. I got my coil packs from autozone they have a lifetime warranty iirc and you can get ngk wires from advanced auto and maybe autozone as well. P0660 is for Vic's unless your car sees above 5200 rpms you don't need to fix it and it will not make the cel come on

But when it misses it dumps unburned fuel onto the precat which pretty much destroys it. If that happens you will get p0421. To fix it right it's $1,000 from Mazda or the $10 non fouler trick. The main cat will do it's job so you will pass an emissions test but you will get a rotten egg smell every now and then

So after going to advanced auto parts for NGK Wires and them not having them, and then being insulted by a rude lady at Auto Zone after trying to explain that I got my information for recommended repairs from this forum by Mazda Protege5 owners I went to Amazon and found some NGK Spark Plug Wires and coils.

Now, I feel really dumb asking this, but I need 4 wires (1 per spark plug) right? so does this have 4 wires and just only show 2 wires here in the picture? or do I need to order two..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Also, I don't know if the brand of Coil Packs matters, or if there's a preferred brand out there, but this is what I found, assuming I also need 4 of these too. I've read that OEM style are the best to use, so that's what I went with and what was the cheapest..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I also had a question about Oxygen Sensors more based on my curiosity than wanting to go out and get some new ones. There's two types I read, upsteam and down stream? I believe the MP5 has two, but what kind does it use? one of each? What's the difference between upstream and downstream? Thanks!

On a lighter note (pun intended?), my check engine light went off after pushing down the pedal a bit harder trying to pass someone yesterday. Not sure if it just cleared something out or what, but meh..

Most people that work in a parts store are idiots. I laughed at a guy that fought taking my battery out for 20 minutes when he had to get his manager to help him ( I like free services). Ignore most of them.

You need 2 coil packs and 2 plug wires. Each coil pack has a boot that connects to a plug and has 1 wire going off of it.

Upstream o2 sensor reads the air fuel ratio and sends a signal to the ecu. And the ecu will add or take away fuel based on what the sensor says. The down stream just says if the precat is doing its job ( not that the precat does much) even if the precat is bad there is a way to trick the sensor. It's pretty unimportant and only there for emissions purposes.

Sometimes the o2 sensors or any other sensor can get dirty or built up with carbon and will give a false reading. When you get down on it the added air/ exhaust flow will blow the dirt/carbon out. If you ever drive a car that has been babied and you drive it hard it will usually blow black smoke from built up carbon

Thank you, that's perfect as my eyes were not deceiving me. I was pretty positive I saw only TWO coils in the engine, but this woman told me I needed 4.. she went on a little rant on how I should get my information from a mechanic instead of people on the internet and then laughed at me, but the information I've found on these forums have been far more informative and helpful than anything a mechanic has ever tried to tell me.

I'll go ahead and order these coils and wires from amazon and hopefully they will get here about the same time my EGR gets here and I can't get these all figured out together :)

Went ahead and bought some Sea Foam and some Engine Cleaner and am going to have some fun tomorrow learning how to do that and try to get the inside in respectable shape (it's a damn mess..)

If it were me I would have grabbed her by her hair, jerked her across the counter, dragged her out side, shoved her face in the engine bay and made her point out where the 3rdand 4th coil pack are. Of course I have no patience for stupidity of that nature

Just got those parts installed and I have to say it's like night and day how this car drives.

There should be a stickied thread for what to do when your Protege5 hits 100k miles because I see those threads all the time and the suggested Plugs/Coil Packs/Wires and EGR Valve Cleaning is definitely worth doing.
Replacing that EGR valve to the newer Canadian version is probably the best $120 bucks I will spend on this car..

I know you were asking about the coils nearly 2 months ago, the OE packs are 'Nissian' (sp?) or something close to that...dealership price was steep, so i went with Beck/Arnley...i've used a lot of replacement parts by that brand, and have been pretty happy with all of them.

as far as your rust, you can find lots of tutorials on that around the web. Our wheel wells will flair up before anything else, its a very good idea to annually thoroughly clean the wells with the wheels off, use some rust inhibitor/converter from whatever name brand you chose...and apply a new coat of 3M rubberized undercoating...That stuff is magic, its pretty incredible how well it holds up against salty roads in my area. But thats for under the car, body wise...you'll have to approach it differently...but regular preventative maintenance against rust will keep the car in good shape for a very long time, and completely stall out any problem areas you currently have. A good place to check out for rust stuff is most of the miata forums, there are guys with 1st gen miatas with over 400,000 miles on the chassis...just by consistently doing the stuff i mentioned.

Latest posts

Back