2002 ES black steering wheel installed

:
1999 Mazda Protege "Sport20" FS-ZE swap
Interior Swap - 99 tan to 2002 black

I got my first thing done for my interior swap project, a 2002+ Black 3-spoke steering wheel.
IMG_4550%20copy.jpg

Before:
IMG_3709%20copy.jpg

The new wheel is much thicker and meatier. I especially like the "feel" at the 9 and 3 position where the dimpled areas are. Old wheel was rubbish.

Last edited:
Nice man. Thats a pretty kewl upgrade. How long did it take ya?

P.S.
ever thought of getting a short throw shifter? That stock shifter just hurts my eyes, hehe

Thanks. After going to Sears to get a 21mm socket, about 20 minutes. It's very simple. Two 10mm bolts on each side hold the airbag in place. Disconnect the airbag connector (disconnect the car battery first), remove connectors for cruise control, and use a 21mm socket to take off the center nut holding the wheel in place. Do the same thing in reverse and you're done.

It's the stock MSP shifter dammit. I like it so far, but I have been thinking of getting a different knob.

Posted @ clubprotege:

The 99 steering wheel is a complete joke. They all peel and look like s***. I can't believe how much difference in steering feel I get just from swapping the wheel out.

Don't worry, the dash has been out twice before for the dash harness needed for my 2.0 swap. I'm planning a full conversion, but it's hard finding interior parts that have been taken care of and not scuffed/scratched up.

I have the door panels coming to me, and most likely a dashboard assuming it's in good shape as well. Interior carpeting comes out fairly easily, just a bunch of clips. While everything is out, I am going to do the sound deadening mod that Intruder did. Everything else that I'll need, I'll get from MMS.

I'm trying to make the car feel more substantial. The 01+'s looked much better inside. Oh, and if there's one thing I hate about my car, is it's tinny feel with you close the doors. Hopefully adding the sound deadening and thickening up the doors themselves should make it a tad bit better.

looks good man, i agree, the 99-00 wheel under any sort of hard driving, the rubber starts to twist which leads to cracking and that def sucks...

by sound deadening, do you mean your going to dynamat the whole car??

NegatiZE said:
Posted @ clubprotege:

The 99 steering wheel is a complete joke. They all peel and look like s***. I can't believe how much difference in steering feel I get just from swapping the wheel out.

Don't worry, the dash has been out twice before for the dash harness needed for my 2.0 swap. I'm planning a full conversion, but it's hard finding interior parts that have been taken care of and not scuffed/scratched up.

I have the door panels coming to me, and most likely a dashboard assuming it's in good shape as well. Interior carpeting comes out fairly easily, just a bunch of clips. While everything is out, I am going to do the sound deadening mod that Intruder did. Everything else that I'll need, I'll get from MMS.

I'm trying to make the car feel more substantial. The 01+'s looked much better inside. Oh, and if there's one thing I hate about my car, is it's tinny feel with you close the doors. Hopefully adding the sound deadening and thickening up the doors themselves should make it a tad bit better.

Looks nice, part of the reason I wanted an 02 :)

About the doors, I did that to my Miata before I took it out for weight savings (autocross). Heres a pic, and IMO the doors did sound more solid after install.

BEFORE

before.jpg

AFTER

after.jpg

Stereo install and B-Quiet Xtreme sound deadening pics here

http://miata.cardomain.com/ride/160905/4

hey NegatiZE,

Looks good. the 00 wheel is a little better, but not much then the 99, but anyways. I want to know if the 01+ wheels will work on my 00 protege dx. Would it still be compatible with my existing air bag computer or do i need one from a 01+ to do the wheel swap?

Nice upgrade! That style wheel is my favorite of all of the cars I have owned, better (and lighter) than the leather wheel on my old 240.

Last edited:
NegatiZE said:
I got my first thing done for my interior swap project, a 2002+ Black 3-spoke steering wheel.

Before:

The new wheel is much thicker and meatier. I especially like the "feel" at the 9 and 3 position where the dimpled areas are. Old wheel was rubbish.

Did you do a auto to manual swap as well?

Buddha: Yes. 1.6 auto to 2.0 manual.

jster: Yes, you should be able to use the same wheel in your 2000 DX assuming you get the new airbag like I did.

Well, I started on the interior swap. Everything has been ordered and has arrived, but I need a full day to get everything installed. Until then, here's what I did.

Dynamatted/insulated underneath the rear seats, all four doors, and changed out the trim/weatherstripping on all four doors. Getting closer. I'm trying to get everything done I can until the big day where I can strip out everything totally.
IMG_4579%20copy.jpg

IMG_4580%20copy.jpg

IMG_4581%20copy.jpg

IMG_4582%20copy.jpg

IMG_4583%20copy.jpg

IMG_4584%20copy.jpg

Approximately $2000 so far, not including seats. That's for the dash, all the trim panels, door panels, carpet, switches, etc.

hey man, im doing an interior swap in my car as well. going from the beige interior of a LX to the charcool of a P5. Let me know any details about taking out the dash

I'll be doing my swap during my spring break, which is the last week of March. I'll try and photograph step by step the entire process.

a bit off topic.... does your car have the 6 speaker setup? or did you put a set in the back doors yet?

my 2000 ES doesn't have the 6, but I want to add them, is it hard to run the wires??

Back