20 Thoughts after owning my CX-5 for one week...

Our solution for the top of the dash was to fit a Moulded Dashmat. Not sure if these are available worldwide.
It also protects the dash from the hot sun over here.

I can also agree to a few points you have, but after reading reviews on the whole lot of compact SUV's in the same class and category, the CX5 still caught my eye over all other suv's. I can't quite grasp it, but when I first sought eyes on the CX5 when it came out, I was like ... "Whoa what is that, I gotta get myself one of those.."

I got the GS model, which I guess is the Touring in the US version. Loving every bit of the vehicle, especially the handling. Still can't wrap my head around the MPG part though. Getting an average of 9.9l / 100km, which works to about 23-24 mpg, and that's 90% city, and 10% highway. Pushed the engine a few times on the highway, but that's pretty much it. Whipping into corners like my old impreza wasn't happening, but it still hugged the ground pretty good.

Do I regret trading in my suby for the mazda?

Hell no. :)

Is there a factory unit ( year and manufacturer) which is fully compatible with an iPod?
My last vehicle, a 2013 Tacoma had absolutely flawless iPod integration, which is one of the reasons the Mazda irks me so much. On the Tacoma, I plugged it in and never once did it miss a beat. Full playlists instantly, always resumed playback, scrolled quickly through well over 1000 songs..

Now that I think about it, I'm going to see if I can figure out how to put that same unit into the Mazda somehow. It even has a backup camera.

Today is my one month anniversary and personally I have no complaints.

Correction, I do have one complaint. Both the armrest on the door and the center console are way to low for my driving style. I prefer to drive with either hand and rest my elbow on an armrest. Impossbile to do with these armrest heights.

Other than that, I really enjoy driving this little beast. My poor 2010 Mustang GT is jealous.

A swifter brush works fine with cleaning the dust off the front dash.

+ 1. Absolutely. Swiffer duster works amazing. I have one in the glove box. When stuck in traffic or long lights, etc, just pull it out and give a quick dust off.

I have the 2014 GT+ tech as well.

2) my hood vibrates, even over tiny bumps. It's moving all the time. It makes me sad. I will have to have it looked at.
3) my mirrors vibrate, but not too bad. Both sides about the same, at 45+ they start to move a bit. At 60+ definitely moving.

My hood doesn't vibrate, but the mirrors do. I asked the dealer about it on my first service (7500 miles) and they contacted Mazda, and were sent some parts to fix it. I have an appointment for the end of the week to get it done.

5) the iPod limitation and screw up in the stereo really have me steamed. Had I known, I would have never bought the car. Absolutely ridiculous on Mazda's part that this slipped through.

The issues with USB and ipods are indeed annoying, and we all feel your pain. However its a real pet peeve of mine when people start complaining how they wouldn't have bought the car due to little problems like this. Really? I am very picky about my stereo equipment too, but, its a CAR... Also, if audio stuff is of key importance wouldn't you bring the ipod with you for a test drive before dropping 30 grand on it?

6) this is one of the cheapest interiors I've seen on a 'decently priced car'. Seriously, it feels cheap, hollow, and I have already noticeable squeaks and buzzes from several places.

This surprises me a bit. First, mine doesn't have squeaks and buzzes, so I don't know how I would react if it did. My parents have owned several generations of hyundai's and have been very happy with them, and while they drive great and are very functional, it blows my mind that anyone would think that the interior of any Hyundai (besides the genesis) is better than the CX-5 GT. I'm flabbergasted as to how you are coming to this conclusion. Is it possible your distaste for the soft-touch dash is bleeding over into everything?

10) seriously want to black out the rims :)

Go for it. I've seen a few of these done with plasti-dip and it looks great.

11) the Bose stereo is 'adequate' but not one of the better 'premium' stereos. Lacks much low end since it has no sub. Hard to get the settings to sound 'good' as it only has 'bass and treble'. Needs a midrange control.
Welcome to Bose audio. Their stuff always contains a lot of automatic sound shaping. It works the way you want 90% of the time but for the other 10%, people will hate it. If you still have the "centerpoint" feature enabled, try disabling that. I found it sounds much better without. The centerpoint is a positional "surround sound" like feature but I think it causes too high of a loss in sound fidelity.

12) the Bose Audio Pilot setting has absolutely no apparent effect on the sound quality at all, as far as I can tell :)
Its not supposed to. The audiopilot tunes the volume based on cabin noise, i.e. as you enter the highway it makes it louder.

16) I still haven't driven at night to see how the whole 'turning headlight' thing works.
One of my favorite features. Works great.

17) Wish the running lights and fog lights and stuff were HID to match the headlights. Looks weird to have them mix and match in my opinion.
Would be very cost prohibitive. You want to drop $2000+ for that? Search on here any you will find many people have replaced the yellow-ish running lights with clear. This can be done cheaply and I'd give this a try first and see what you think.

19) I hate. HATE. HATE HATE HATE HATE the soft touch vinyl dash. Impossible to clean, get dust off, etc. Seriously, this stuff was forged in hell.
This stuff will SURVIVE hell, which is the part you ultimately will care about. Use a swiffer duster. Cleans it like magic.

I have no problem wiping the dash with a microfibre cloth. A damp chamois works well too.

6) this is one of the cheapest interiors I've seen on a 'decently priced car'. Seriously, it feels cheap, hollow, and I have already noticeable squeaks and buzzes from several places. I expect it will only get worse.

You need to do a test drive in a $60k Corvette or a $40k Camaro if you really want to know what a cheap interior feels like.

Plastics looked and felt like they were molded by Mattel and Fisher Price, with ugly mold seam lines on practically every item. .
Dafuq. I still have my Fisher Price Plastic Toybox (with my METAL Tonka trucks in there nonetheless) and matching stepstool that are 20+ yrs old. That s*** lasts lol. I rarely see Hyundai's older than 7-8 years (and they are paint faded and garbo looking when I do). Fisher Price electric car last longer imo.

Not planning to start a flame war, but thought I'd post my thoughts after 1 week of owning my new 2014 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech Package

Wow! 20 observations on your new car and not ONE word about how it actually DRIVES? This little Mazda has what it takes.

Driving dynamics and driving experience is what defines the soul of a car to me. I don't get in a car unless I need to go somewhere - that's the function of a car.

It sounds to me like you bought the wrong car.

I love the way it drives! I didn't buy the wrong car. I just think the car I bought could use some improvements, that's all :)

I love the way it drives! I didn't buy the wrong car. I just think the car I bought could use some improvements, that's all :)

Name one car that doesn't!

At least Mazda got the "car" part right.

I love my car, but the interior (aside from the steering wheel) is absolutely awful. There is CLEAR costcutting going on there (Mazda has to get back in the black somehow). My wife's $20k Focus has a dramatically higher quality interior than my $32k GT+tech.

Other things are much more important to me that mazda hit out of the park so like I said I love my car. But dont flame the guy for speaking the truth.

Evan, THANK YOU. The plastic is just CHEAP, especially the door panels, some of the dash pieces, etc. The head liner... That was my complains as well. My 2006 Hyundai feels way more substantial. I'm glad I'm not the only one who things so. On a car of this cost, it's too cheap. I would expect this level on a Ford Fiesta or something. But on a 32K car, it feels too cheap.

The iPod issue has a couple of parts. 1) the iPod will not resume playback where it left off, if the vehicle powers off and on again, but will 'reset' back to just playing the first song in alphabetical order. Bluetooth will resume playback, but not an iPod. This is a goof, as I've never seen another car that does that. 2) depending on the size of your iPod or USB stick, it can take a LONG time for it to 'scan', which it must do every time the car is started. My 16 gig iPod Nano takes about 60 seconds. My 64 gig USB Stick takes about 5 to 6 minutes, and my 160 gig iPod Classic takes 26-28 MINUTES to scan, every time the car starts, rendering it 100% useless. The last car I drove, a 2014 Camry, would mount the iPod Classic within 15 seconds max.

My wife's $20k Focus has a dramatically higher quality interior than my $32k GT+tech.

It appears that interior aesthetics are largely a matter of personal taste. Personally, I think the Mazda CX-5 cockpit has an understated elegance that exudes quality (and it appears most moto-journalists agree). On the other hand, to my sense of aesthetics, the Ford Focus cockpit looks like something designed during a stoned frat party. Even the spacecraft dashboards in the original Star Wars movie had better balanced aesthetics. It might be visually interesting for a few moments but it is overly busy and discombobulated. Definitely not somewhere I would want to spend any significant amount of time hanging out behind. The CX-5 is very functional, not distracting or flashy and has an aura of elegance and good taste.

Other things are much more important to me that mazda hit out of the park so like I said I love my car. But dont flame the guy for speaking the truth.

You obviously do not know what it means to flame.

Back