2 Tranny fluid questions

DragonSpeed

:
2003.5 MSP Sunlight Silver
Well i went to buy some redline mt90 trans fluid, but all i could find was 70w80 MTL, will this work just as well? If so, where is the trans fluid filler plug and drain plug? Thanks in advance

work, yes... but for how long

find some Redline Superlight Shockproof gear oil.. its better than both.

Gothmael said:
Well i went to buy some redline mt90 trans fluid, but all i could find was 70w80 MTL, will this work just as well? If so, where is the trans fluid filler plug and drain plug? Thanks in advance
Don't use the MTL. Use Red Line MT-90. This is the correct SAE 75W-90 grade all-season transmission oil called for in the FSM.

The drain plug is on the bottom of the transmission case. The fill-level plug is towards the front of the case pointing somewhat downward. Both plugs take a 23 mm socket. Make sure you replace the sealing washers on both plugs. The Mazda part no. for the sealing washers is: 9956-41-800

According to the FSM, the correct torque wrench setting for both plugs is 29-43 ft/lbs (40-58 N/m).

When changing the oil, a good method is to use a funnel with a tube attached. Run the car up on ramps or use jackstands.

The oil capacity is 2.83 qts (2.68L).

too keep the car level i ran it back onto ramps, then jacked up the front. i use redline lightweight shockproof. and use the beer bong to fill it. it comes out like paint and takes a while to fill

mt-90 for sure, i've been running it for 6+ months now- for $10 you can have your local shop do the switch for you(it's a big pain in the ass) I have been really happy so far with it

plenty of people... also plenty have tried either superlight or lightweight shockproof ( I have it) and many have tried GM syncromesh.

all are good options

Well, being that i'm hardheaded and that noone here in bham has mt-90, i went ahead with the MTL anyway, and just as well, it works great! dunno what the big issue is.. but w/e

Just for clarification, why would you need to replace the washers? I didnt because when I looked at them they looked perfectly fine and would see no reason to change them. As a result everthing still works fine, leak or anything.

Mazda recommends you replace them, just like every time you change your oil, you should change your oil pan drag plug's washer. Usually these washers are very mallebale so they can seal the plugs for leaks. As long as your washer is seating properly between the plug and the block and it's clean it's fine. But sometimes, the contaiments are too small, imo, so I replace them about every 3-4 change just to be on the safe side.

here is a dumb question.

I was reading up about tranny fluid.....so here is a question....i know redline mt-90 is some phenomenal stuff. I was thinking one day when i was at advance auto parts....i use mobil 1 synthetic oil in my car....and i saw a mobile 1 synthetic 75w-90 gear oil on a shelf as well. so i am thinking would that mobile1 gear oil be good for my tranny like redline or would redline still be much better for it?

well i dont know but i did mine not to long ago with the help of a friend orng1 thanks bud... we ran it up on ramps drained it didnt change the washers or drain plugs but i went with the "purple stuff" royal purple and man i felt the difference right away.. i mean it shifted so freaking smooth and i just fell in love with royal purple so thats all i use.. have any of u fellas used royal purple if so whats your opinion on it?

Back