2 questions (whistle and sunroof rattle)

:
03.5 YLW MSP
I get this whistle noise coming from sounds like either the sunroof or roof rack when doing about 65mph down the highway. Anyone else have this problem?

Also when the sliding doro to the sunroof is open it rattles goign down the road and drives me bonkers is thier any known fix to this?

the whistle is the rack. i believe they slightly altered the front rack on later models to cut down on noise, but it's still noisy. not sure about the rattle.

Yea the best way to get rid of the noise is just getting rid of the roof rack and use fillers, or just turn the music up (shocked) !

I get that same rattle in my ES! I just turn the music up...but a solution would be nice! Haven't ever taken the time to see exactly what was shaking, maybe someone else has? :)

The P5 will whistle with and without the roof rack. My theory:

The aerodynamics of the vehicle create an audible frequency at a particular speed. I have experienced this in other, non-P5 vehicles as well.

Me too. I had the same noise when I owned an 89 Volvo station wagon with a roof rack. My MP5 does the same thing. OMG did I just admit to owning a Volvo SW?

The rattle is from the sliding cover for the sunroof. There's a foam block that's supposed to prevent the rattling from happening. Most likely, the block is either worn or had moved out of place. In order to replace it, you have to remove the headliner.

GNO said:
The rattle is from the sliding cover for the sunroof. There's a foam block that's supposed to prevent the rattling from happening. Most likely, the block is either worn or had moved out of place. In order to replace it, you have to remove the headliner.

Ah crap!!! I didn't want to hear that I guess that's a project I can do when I get around to removing the roof rack. Thanks for the info GNO.

Back