1st Gen Protege owners advice please!

hawaiiannights

Contributor
:
2003 Matsuda Familia
I am thinking about buying a used 1993 Protege for about $1,500 as a second beater car and was wondering if there is anything I should look out for or should know about?

The car has 110,000 miles
new belts, waterpump,battery,
some kinda 17" rims and tires
Cold AC
paint is bad

any advice would be appreciated and if anyone has pictures of first gen proteges i'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

JProtege said:
i love my car. i just broke 100k a month or two ago. I've owned the car for about 2 years now i guess . . . i've had to replace 1 bearing and then 2 axles. I get anywhere between 25-29mpg. Some pics . . .

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59575

Thanks for the pics! Dayum its in good condition! Nice car! Well i'm going to go look at it tomorrow. Its a toss up between that car and a Toyota Camry....

i dont have any pics of the interior right now, i guess i'll take some tomorrow. If you haven't seen it by then, i'll post.

anyway, a camry will outlast a pro anyday but i like the pro's look better :p

1500 is a bit much but i guess the 17" rims adjust the value alot

anyhow, gl with whatever you decide. I know my friend's sister has a ~93 camry and she drove the car w/o oil for like 200 miles and the car still was ok afterwards. . . i've always had respect for toyota reliablity but i mean damn, she really does not know how to take care of a car. i'm talkin like, she changes the oil 1.5 times a year. That car is a fighter; i dont think a pro could take the abuse she dishes out.

JProtege said:
i dont have any pics of the interior right now, i guess i'll take some tomorrow. If you haven't seen it by then, i'll post.

anyway, a camry will outlast a pro anyday but i like the pro's look better :p

1500 is a bit much but i guess the 17" rims adjust the value alot

anyhow, gl with whatever you decide. I know my friend's sister has a ~93 camry and she drove the car w/o oil for like 200 miles and the car still was ok afterwards. . . i've always had respect for toyota reliablity but i mean damn, she really does not know how to take care of a car. i'm talkin like, she changes the oil 1.5 times a year. That car is a fighter; i dont think a pro could take the abuse she dishes out.

Thanks for the advice, yea actually I was leaning towrds the Camry but its older and has 200,000 miles but runs great! I also found a 88 Mazda 929 for sale...dam...does anybody own one of those?

is it an lx or dx? what condition is it in? for more pictures go to www.protegeclub.com and go to the photo gallery, and choose 1990-1994 you will see tons of pics of stock pros, pros that are modded, what it can be and what can be done

iwokeupfrmadrea said:
is it an lx or dx? what condition is it in? for more pictures go to www.protegeclub.com and go to the photo gallery, and choose 1990-1994 you will see tons of pics of stock pros, pros that are modded, what it can be and what can be done

1993 DX 110,000 miles
New Water pump and new belts. White paint faded
$1,500 obo

Well I went ahead and picked it up for $1,000 without the 17" wheels which I didn't need anyway. The paint is crap but the body, interior and engine is very clean and good. No stereo though but he's gonna give me the stock stereo, gotta see if I can install it.

cablemirc said:

Dam you sure fixed that car up nicely...hey tell me where is a good place to find parts for this car? I want to start replcaing some things like the lights and stuff cause they look all oxidized and cloudy.....

Hey any first gen owners got stock parts to sell? Let me know what you got I might buy em!

i have stock amber corners, stock a lot of things in a box at home...stock springs, stock exhaust, stock struts, hmmm....

iwokeupfrmadrea said:
i have stock amber corners, stock a lot of things in a box at home...stock springs, stock exhaust, stock struts, hmmm....

All right! I'm serious give me a list of what you got and I may purchase them from you. I just got the car so I gotta see what exactly needs replacing. So far I know I want to change the headlights cause the plastic is all white and cloudy looking.

iwokeupfrmadrea said:
^^^ thats fixable. go to www.clubprotege.com and search

Thanks! Still interested in what you got so let me know. I'm gonna make a post over there too!..

How are the A/C compressors on these 1st gens? The AC currently still works but its still the original so i'm wondering if its gonna last. This will be my new project car and eventually daily driver so I need to have the AC working especailly where I live!

my ac still works, but i had to replace my blower motor. and when i get home ill look at what all i have and make a list. im at school right now :) i also have my oem hood if u want :p

things to watch for (1st gen 91 protege LX is the one i have)
1 - rought idle (<--- it keep jumping or it is below 750pm)
2 - body rust, go under the car and look for any loose parts
3 - A/C causing the steering to shake (<-- tat means u need new motor mounts, well u dun have to if u can live with it)
4 - if it is auto, watch out for jerkyNess of gear changes
5 - broken headers/cat/exhaust
6 - brake condition/brake pads
7 - check lights
8 - accident history

i think thats it... good luck

Dam...ok well I got the car now and noticed a few things.

1. Dam seatbelt warning light doesn't go off. Keeps beeing and driving me crazy
2. Drivers side axle cv boot ripped. Strange creaky / ticking sounds when turning at low speeds.
3. AC doesn't blow cold.

Back