1st gen owners?

Skurge

:
18' STI/87 RX-7/88 323 GTX
how many of us are there? I dont seem to see to many on these forums

I currently have a 81.....she's a beast!
with:
new tranny, clutch, pressure plate, TOB
no cats......straight back to some muffler....that doesn't do its job...lol

and i think thats about it

I'll post a couple pics when I get home from work

what cha got?

ME! I'm here... Got a GSL-SE that's my toy...

pictures to share...

MSM085.JPG

MSM086.JPG

too bad it's on stock wheels again for now because those got stolen..

Ive got one

I have a 1980 rx7. I am doing an engine swap with a larger one my step dad hooked me up with. It's in the works of being a sweet drifter. i am primering it black this weekend. I will post some pics once its primered.

My friend has a 1st Gen with a Turbo II swap in it. It's not pretty, but it's fast. I have a FC being built for SCCA F Production, but I'm starting to want a 1st Gen of 2nd Gen for a daily driver. I would have to get rid of my Pro5 though.

Hi. we have an 82 with the GSL-SE rear axle conversion, SS brake lines, Panas, Tokico Blues, 130mph speedo, and some other misc stuff. she's curently sitting sans engine waiting for a TII engine/tranny swap. we have the engine and tranny, just need the GSL-SE 13B front plate to make 'er work.

But we are selling the rolling chassis and/or engine so we can put the $$ into the RX-8. :D

Anyone in Texas wtb any of it? :)

Can anyone recommend a mechanic?

I live in Waynesboro, PA and have an '85 RX-7 GS with 80K, auto tranny, garaged, ziebarted new, receipts, Sunday driver, that hasn't seen a dealer in many years. I've only had to replace fluids, filters, pads, plugs, wires, tires for the last 15 years and the local dealer in Hagerstown, MD says they don't work on 1st gens and would rollback the car to a Washington, D.C. area dealer for any repairs. The car is registered as "Historic" in PA (>15 years old, drive only 1 day/week) and gets annual state inspections but never needs anything and best of all the insurance for full 100/300/100 coverage with $4,000 replacement value (car was appraised a couple of years ago) is only $86 every 6 months. I'd like to find a local mechanic in the Hagerstown/Frederick, MD or south central PA area for any major repairs. I rebuilt a 12A out of a '75 RX-3 wagon in the early 80's and all went well but the RX-7 is a little more complicated and has so many vacuum lines, etc. I'd really rather let a pro do anything major. I think I need to replace susepnsion bushings soon as they are all original. Does anybody sell a bushing kit? Can anyone recommend a nearby mechanic/shop to me? Thanks and happy ho ho holidays to all.

I'm here too.... 85 GS.... at least the body is... not much left of the original car anymore...

Dan

I'm in a club at western michigan u. that races an 81. This winter we are going from ITA to E production.

ohhhhhhhhh street port and 1980lbs.

bryan

I've got my ol scca its '79 rx7 and the drag '79 rx7 as well

Attachments

• p5 and 1st gen 023.jpg
    p5 and 1st gen 023.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 154
  • p5 and 1st gen 031.jpg
    p5 and 1st gen 031.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 138
  • p5 and 1st gen 033.jpg
    p5 and 1st gen 033.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 155
Mazdaspeedgirl said:
Hi. we have an 82 with the GSL-SE rear axle conversion, SS brake lines, Panas, Tokico Blues, 130mph speedo, and some other misc stuff. she's curently sitting sans engine waiting for a TII engine/tranny swap. we have the engine and tranny, just need the GSL-SE 13B front plate to make 'er work.

But we are selling the rolling chassis and/or engine so we can put the $$ into the RX-8. :D

Anyone in Texas wtb any of it? :)
I'm in TX.... Hmm... What are you looking to get for the engine/tranny? S4 or S5?

<evil thoughts>

I had an 85 base model....when I was done with it, it was high 13 sec car.

man I miss that car...

Attachments

• img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 164
i have a red 79 currently getting repainted and in the midst of a TurboII engine swap. I have the GSL SE rear axle, CP racing strut bar, Eibach springs, Koni shocks, a Fiero electric fan and radiator, header and a pair of Weber carbs atop a rotary engineering intake manifold. I love the car.

Anyone want that manifold and carburetor setup? Its mean as hell but I won't need it with this swap.

DSC01616.JPG

SpeedProtege said:
What carbs?

I'm in the market for some 48IDA's and mani.

bryan
let me snap some pics for you today and you can let me know if they are the ones you seek

SpeedProtege said:
http://www.racingbeat.com/resultset.asp?PartNumber=16601

thats what i'm lookin for.

was it still a stock port engine?
mine are a little different, i was running a pair of Weber DCD carburetors as pictured here, atop a Rotary Engineering intake manifold. These would be much better suited to a ported motor than the stock port i had.

CAM_0489.JPG

CAM_0488.JPG

CAM_0490.JPG

everything is in really good shape and would work very well for what you want to do i think if you want to buy them. Otherwise I'll throw em on ebay.

Hello all,

heres a few pics of my car 79' rx-7, since it was stock, rebuilt, and now stripped again for it's second rebuild.

first set of rims 15", 215/50 rubber:
sevencut.jpg

friends rims 13" mangel crome modulars, bridgestone 235/50 rubber:
sevwitmodgies1.jpg

currently stripped, for next build (will have progress pics, after i do abit more work):
stripped1.jpg

new rims, 13" chevot hotwires, bridgestone 215/50 rubber:
tidyeager.jpg

from then, till now:
mysig.jpg

i currently have the standard 12a, pulled down and extend ported, enlarged exaust(spelling?) ports, steel apex seals,
standard 4barrel nikki carb, with bigger fuel jets, and enlarged primary ports by 2mm
new clutch, 10lb flywheel, koni struts, tsv springs

umm, about too have engine pulled down again, new seals/bearings and such
51mm IDA webber carb fitted, engine plates powdercoated black, and rotor housings and such other alloy parts polished/chromed.
have a new holly fuel pump (14psi), should MORE than keep it chugging along. standard series1 gearbox and diff.

have a set of jamex bucket seats with 5point harnesses, jamex stearingwheel, and re-upholstered(spelling?) interrior(still black)

this build it is going to be black, with a nice pearl through it.
all serfaces smoothed off, with a nice set of 17" rims sitting below the guards.
black and chrome is the theme.
basicly building for a show car, no big sterio install or anything, no neon lights, just a pure oldschool mazda, built to how i want it.
and i plan to race it down the 1/4mile aswell.

i could think of alot more too say, but im half asleep so that'll have too do for now!

Last edited:
rx7gslse said:
I'm in TX.... Hmm... What are you looking to get for the engine/tranny? S4 or S5?

<EVIL thoughts>

Woops, I missed this one. It is still for sale, I gave $800 for the motor (I *think* its an S5, we may have to do some research to know for sure--tips are good here) and I paid $250 for the tranny.

I'd take $750 for both if you come pick them up. Comes with a FREE dolly! (lol2) The engine is complete with TMIC and all. No wiring harness/ECU, but I suspect if you want to get serious, you'd be thinking about a standalone anyway.

Both are in good clean condition (read no greasy grime :D )

If I were you, I'd REALLY consider the rolling chassis. It's rust free, has good paint, GSL-SE limited slip axle conversion, lowered springs/shocks, SS braided brake lines, stripped interior (was gonna be a track car), and lovely 15" Panasports.

I'd let all of it go for $1500

akina_front.jpg

akina_rear.jpg

I have been doddling in not being serious about selling her, but I am going to post it on the RX7club forums soon, since I must have money to start school in the summer.

Let me know if you are interested by post, email, or phone (806-470-8389).

Thanks!

NICE sa, Hamish. Always good to see a devoted rotorhead keeping em alive and running. :)

Back